wiring question

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

wiring question

Postby Uncle Fester » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:41 am

Hey all, this is just a idea I have had rolling around in that big empty space of mine I call a brain. . . .

All the bikes come with the same wiring harness, no matter what model, correct ? The only difference being, what parts are there or not there.

If this is the case, one COULD take the handle bar switch gear from a SE and put it on a Aspencade or Interstate and have lighted switches, correct ? I know it would cost some, take some work, and take some time to find the switches for sale (maybe not so much), but I am really wanting the lighted switches of a SE over the dark ones I currently have on my Aspencade.

So, again, my question is, would this be a "Plug and Play" option or would it be some serious work on my part ? I am MAINLY wanting to get the "Starter, Cruise switch assembly and the turn horn switch assembly, NOT the stereo / CB control section.

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

baumedagn
Motorcycle: 2012
GL1800HPNM

Re: wiring question

Postby baumedagn » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:24 pm

I saw somewhere that overlays are (or were) available. I would think that would be a much quicker and cost effective solution. I'm racking my brain to try to remember who had them. This growing older thing isn't for the weak... :|

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:25 pm

No, the wiring harnesses are not the same, unfortunately.

And the overlays you're thinking about are EL overlays, but available for the GL1800 only.

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/1800_li ... trols/1143

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:17 pm

Wel damn on BOTH parts ! lol Thanks guys, I new someone here would know. :D

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”