Hazard Lights

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Comey
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda Goldwing GL1500 SE

Hazard Lights

Postby Comey » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:12 am

My 1994 Goldwing GL1500 SE hazard lights will not stay on, only work if button
is held in. Any info on how to replace switch??
Comey

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Re: Hazard Lights

Postby Big Blue UK » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:45 am

Something is just stuck, try plenty of switch cleaner at least 4 times daily and many operations to penetrate the crud. Lack of use is the problem, so it is not as though it is worn out. Another switch may be A1, or not much better than the one you have.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:22 pm

The switches are not individually replaceable or available - only the whole quadrant is available. The best thing to do is hose it down with a quality, plastic-safe contact cleaner, to clean it out while working it in and out. Push it only - NEVER pull it out, this will break the internal parts of it.

Comey
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda Goldwing GL1500 SE

Postby Comey » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:53 pm

Thanks for the replys. I think something is broken in mine. As it will not stay in.
Lights work when held in but pops out as soon as released.
Comey

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:19 pm

Comey wrote:Thanks for the replys. I think something is broken in mine. As it will not stay in.
Lights work when held in but pops out as soon as released.
Comey

There is a little plastic bit inside that follows a channel. A spring pushes it along the channel when the switch is pushed in. The whole thing is lubricated with this awful yellow grease. Over time, the grease hardens and attracts dust and dirt. This makes it so the little spring doesn't have enough strength to push the follower along the little channel; the result is that the button won't stay in when pressed, it just pops right back out.

This is why cleaning with contact cleaner often fixes it: it cleans out the grease and crud, and allows the spring to push the follower along the channel. This then locks the button in when you press it.

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Postby joeincalif » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:03 am

How often do you use them?? When I bought my 97 I got it home and put the flashers on to test them and the button stuck in. I took the switch housing apart and sprayed it with contact cleaner, OI tried it again and it still stuck in, repeated the same process to release it, I just don't use it, and I don't know a time when I would have to.
When I ride I usually turn all my switches on/off to keep them free of junk and moving properly, of course I do not do that to the flasher switch. I don't think it is worth replacing.
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:37 am

The Cruise Control On/Off button is much the same. Mine was stuck in the ON (pushed in) position for a long time.
Then I had the dealer do some service on my bike (steering head bearings) and they helpfully "popped" the switch back out...
But doing this with the small screw driver (their words) BROKE it ...Of course they accepted no responsibility for it because in their mind they fixed it from it's useable stuck position...to an unusable broken position. ... WTF ?!?!
I don't go there if I can avoid it..I do almost all my own work now, and I have rigged the button to be in the stay on position permanently now...which suits me just fine...
Why would we need to turn the system off anyway...? My car is the same way... duh....

Good Luck with the switch - but I bet it is broken inside and not worth fixing at this point... my 2¢

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”