led cornering lamps

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
a@r
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 SE pearl white

led cornering lamps

Postby a@r » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:44 pm

Getting ready to install hid headlamps and cornering lamps. What I want to do for the corner lamps is wire them to my show chrome switch on the3 master cylinder. I know you can cut the green wire and they will stay on but I cannot let myself just have a cut wire hanging. I am just not sure which way to wire it. I am sure the manual will show the wiring diagram but one of you fellows may already know the answer. My switch has 3 individual switches so if necessary I can have left lamp on 1 and right lamp on 1. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Alan

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: led cornering lamps

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:14 pm

a@r wrote:Getting ready to install hid headlamps and cornering lamps. What I want to do for the corner lamps is wire them to my show chrome switch on the3 master cylinder. I know you can cut the green wire and they will stay on but I cannot let myself just have a cut wire hanging. I am just not sure which way to wire it. I am sure the manual will show the wiring diagram but one of you fellows may already know the answer. My switch has 3 individual switches so if necessary I can have left lamp on 1 and right lamp on 1. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Alan

The green wire is just ground for the relay coils. I wouldn't leave it just hanging either, but you won't do any damage if it DOES short out to something.

Cornering Lights Schematic
Cornering Lights Schematic

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:24 pm

If I recall, there is a diagram on this site that shows how to wire them up thru a switch. I have LED running lights and am thinking about wiring them up to do both the cornering lights and the running lites and have them thru a switch.
Bill

a@r

Postby a@r » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:29 pm

thanks for the reply wingadmin. I guess working on class 8 semi trucks for years has gotten me scared of cutting wires and leaving loose ends for corrosion to start and go who know where. I was looking for a way (without having to re-wire the whole front end) to turn the lamps on when I wanted them and mainly not have them on during engine starting.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:02 am

a@r wrote:thanks for the reply wingadmin. I guess working on class 8 semi trucks for years has gotten me scared of cutting wires and leaving loose ends for corrosion to start and go who know where. I was looking for a way (without having to re-wire the whole front end) to turn the lamps on when I wanted them and mainly not have them on during engine starting.

I would intercept the orange/white and the light blue/white wires coming off the relays. These are the +12V relay coil feeds that when are active +12 volts ON, the lights turn OFF. That's why cutting the green grounds on these relays makes the lights turn on permanently.

So cut those orange/white and light blue/white wires. Terminate/insulate the cut end leading to the harness. The cut ends going to the relays, wire them together, and then feed that from a switch that supplies +12V. When the switch is turned ON, the lights will turn off, and vice versa. The benefit of this is that you can use a very small switch, because it is only switching the relay coils, not the lights themselves.

The other option would be to cut the red/yellow and red/blue wires feeding the lights directly, bypassing the relays altogether, and connecting them to a switch that provides +12V. The switch would need to switch full current for the lights.

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:43 am

I could be missing something, but if cutting the green wire allows the lights to burn then why not break it through a switch. When you don't want lights on you would still have turning function.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:08 am

robb wrote:I could be missing something, but if cutting the green wire allows the lights to burn then why not break it through a switch. When you don't want lights on you would still have turning function.

If you want to retain the turning function, then yes, this would be the way to go. If you want to override the turning function and have them on at all times no matter what, you have to interrupt the supply side of the relay.

robb

Postby robb » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:31 am

Thanks. I live in the sticks and find cornering lights a valuable asset.

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:52 am

This thread might be of some help. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23405
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21460
Bill

a@r

Postby a@r » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:05 pm

ok wingadmin I understand your thinking and as far as which wires to cut. after reading several other post on here let me ask this. In your opinion on this. Lets say you have both lamps on a switch breaking the ground, bright sunny days they could be turned off if you desired. night riding or other low light conditions turn them on for greater visibility either for you or the on coming traffic. Now then do you think if making a right turn (or left) the opposite side lamp would cause a concern. If not I think breaking the ground would be the easiest way to solve what I want to do and I think the show chrome,bike bike or kuraykin switch on the master cylinder or clutch cylinder will handle the load. What are your thoughts, along with anyone else who cares to chip in. I only want to do this one time since so much plastic has to come off.

a@r

Postby a@r » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:10 pm

my post above about the lamps on was a concern for night time riding only. maybe I am over thinking this. been a long day

robb

Postby robb » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:50 am

Question to WingAdmin. I knew I had read of another way to bypass but what do you think.

"Converting the GL1500SE cornering lights into running lights. Firstly locate the relays for the cornering lights. They are located under the fairing lower panels. On some models they may be both on the same side. Follow the wiring from the relays to the connector blocks. On the bikes side of the loom locate the light blue/white wire for one side of the bike and orange/white wire for the other side. Cut these wires and the cornering lights will come on when the ignition is switched on. If you put a small switch on each wire you can switch back to cornering light operation whenever you want. The wires draw less than one amp, so low current switches will do."

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:56 am

robb wrote:Question to WingAdmin. I knew I had read of another way to bypass but what do you think.

"Converting the GL1500SE cornering lights into running lights. Firstly locate the relays for the cornering lights. They are located under the fairing lower panels. On some models they may be both on the same side. Follow the wiring from the relays to the connector blocks. On the bikes side of the loom locate the light blue/white wire for one side of the bike and orange/white wire for the other side. Cut these wires and the cornering lights will come on when the ignition is switched on. If you put a small switch on each wire you can switch back to cornering light operation whenever you want. The wires draw less than one amp, so low current switches will do."

This is basically doing the same thing - cutting the power supply to the relay coils, so that the lights stay on all the time. Cutting the green wires removes the ground from the relay coils, so it also stops the relays from operating, which keeps the lights on all the time.

The difference is that you can connect both green wires together, through a switch, and from there to ground - so instead of two switches, you can return them to cornering light operation with only one switch.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:58 am

a@r wrote:ok wingadmin I understand your thinking and as far as which wires to cut. after reading several other post on here let me ask this. In your opinion on this. Lets say you have both lamps on a switch breaking the ground, bright sunny days they could be turned off if you desired. night riding or other low light conditions turn them on for greater visibility either for you or the on coming traffic. Now then do you think if making a right turn (or left) the opposite side lamp would cause a concern. If not I think breaking the ground would be the easiest way to solve what I want to do and I think the show chrome,bike bike or kuraykin switch on the master cylinder or clutch cylinder will handle the load. What are your thoughts, along with anyone else who cares to chip in. I only want to do this one time since so much plastic has to come off.

No, breaking the ground will keep the lights on all of the time. If you put a switch on the ground, when the switch is open, the lights will be on all the time. When the switch is closed, the lights will come on for cornering only.

And no, having both lights on all the time doesn't cause a problem when turning - mine have been on 100% of the time for as long as I've had my bike.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”