GPS suggestions

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
wiredgeorge
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE Roadsmith Trike

GPS suggestions

Postby wiredgeorge » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:07 am

Don't have a lot of money so I am looking for a lower cost solution to my GPS purchase. I have a couple of car GPS units but can't see the screen during bright daylight and can't hear the voice instructions (I wear open face helmet with no wires or bluetooth) with either. Anyone have a reasonably priced GPS that you can see in the day and hear? It wouild also be neat to have a 12VDC plug for a cigarette lighter. Recommendations?

wiredgeorge Texas Hill Country
1997 GL1500SE Roadsmith
2002 Triumph America
1976 KZ900A4, 1977 KZ750B2, 1978 KZ1000A, 1980 KZ1000E
Icebear 150cc trike

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: GPS suggestions

Postby RBGERSON » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:41 pm

Most GPS' have an ear bud plug..use that and build a "hood" for the gps when mounted on the bike. None of the gps' are good in bright sunlight or loud enough when on a bike at highway speeds. IMHO..
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:52 pm

I use a Garmin 2597 that I got at best buy for about $150. It is glove friendly which is a real plus. I use a goose neck type mount that allows me to change the angle as needed. I also bought a water resistant cover for it which also helps with bright sun. As was stated above, none of the GPS I have seen including Zumo are really good in bright sunlight. With Best Buy, check their web site and the store will honor that price. More expensive in the store.
Most of the less expensive GPS units do NOT have an external plug. No doubt, if you are handy, one could be added.
Bill

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:09 pm

A Glare Stomper will get rid of the glare you're experiencing, I've been using one for years.

For a GPS with an audio output, you'll have to probably find a used unit, if you're on a budget. Either that, or buy a cheaper one, take it apart, and manually add an audio output jack - I've done this before.

You can then use a GPS Input to pipe the audio into your headset.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:23 pm

As bstig60 pointed out, few (if any) GPS units have an audio-out plug anymore. The ones that still have this feature tend to be breathtakingly expensive. This makes life difficult because, as the OP pointed out, the screens are difficult to see in sunlight. So, if you can't hear the audio either, there's no interface at all between the rider & GPS.

What I did is this - I have an older, Garmin Nuvi 750, which I upgraded to lifetime maps. This particular unit series does have audio-out (MP3 player incorporated, too!). Since I already installed an iSimple aux-in for the bike's stereo, the GPS audio-out plugs right in, and the GPS voice directions are clearly audible via the bike's speakers (the Garmin's MP3 player, too, so I have the tunes I want). Since I use a modular/full face helmet, plugging in the bike's intercom cord lets me hear the GPS & MP3 in my helmet.

I've also installed a GlareStomper sun shade, so the unit is visible in bright sunlight (the screen itself is always shaded). I NEVER look at my GPS screen while my bike is in motion. It simply isn't possible to just glance down at it for an instant & get your bearings - that takes at least 2-3 seconds which, on a motorcycle, is far too long to divert attention from the road. In a car, you can get away with it, but on a motorcycle it can be suicidal. The only time I refer to the screen is when I'm pulled off the road & stopped.

As such, I rely exclusively on the audio (voice) out for directions. After getting used to this, I've discovered that the voice directions are all I need. Even when navigating complex interchanges, the spoken directions are ample.

Garmin did an outstanding job of incorporating their MP3 player, too. If I'm listening to my tunes, and a GPS voice direction comes up, the MP3 player mutes, I hear the directions, and then the music fades back in. Seamless! As this old unit also accepts SD cards, I have many hundreds of tunes available, without using any of the GPS's memory.

Sorry for the long post, but I've put in years of testing/refining my GPS use on my bike, and this is the result. IMHO, it's safe, it's totally usable, and it doesn't distract my riding.

BTW, here's a pic of my GL1500 GPS mount...made from an old mount, where the suction cup split - gutted the mount, drilled a hole up from the bottom, used a skinny bolt to attach it through the Honda cover.
Attachments

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:18 am

You can get 12v power plugs (aka cigarette lighter) with a USB powered outlet. Check out:
http://www.eachbuyer.com/Car-Charger-&-Cigarette-Lighter-c15607/

It would depend on the voltage required for the unit that will dictate the model and type.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Bigbiker0
Motorcycle: 1997 gl 1500 se

Postby Bigbiker0 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:21 am

wiredgeorge wrote:Don't have a lot of money so I am looking for a lower cost solution to my GPS purchase. I have a couple of car GPS units but can't see the screen during bright daylight and can't hear the voice instructions (I wear open face helmet with no wires or bluetooth) with either. Anyone have a reasonably priced GPS that you can see in the day and hear? It wouild also be neat to have a 12VDC plug for a cigarette lighter. Recommendations?

I have a Garmin 450 in excellent condition for sale with map updated North america ,2 supports, asking price $150.00
Drive safely Heaven do not exist.

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Postby joeincalif » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:55 am

I have a Garmin 755T it has an FM transmitter built in so I tune my radio to an unused FM station and the Garmin comes thru my headset. It also has a slot for an SD card which I have MP3 songs on it so I can listen to music from it also. I Garmin 755 and 765 and a few others have this feature. Of course Garmin does not make them anymore but several available on e-bay. It also has an external jack if you wish to use ear phones instead of your headset.
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

NKYWinger
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade
2003 GL1800

Postby NKYWinger » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:50 pm

Here's where I got mine - 7" screen audio out, lifetime maps...and only $229!!

http://www.drivengps.com/Garmin-Dezl-76 ... 125011.htm

I also used a GlareStomper and the plug'n'play audio convertors FROM THIS SITE to run the audio into the intercom

--John--

FTCS(SS) USN Ret.
'83 GL1100 Aspy (SOLD)
'03 GL1800
'08 Lees-ure Lite
GWRRA 339547 KY - 'G'
DS# 1547

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:43 pm

Refurbished or not, that seems to be a SMOKIN' deal!!

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Postby Big Blue UK » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:08 pm

I use clip on plastic and Velcro on nylon hoods to stop glare
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:26 pm

I use a Garmin Nuvi 52LM (lifetime maps) on a Garmin 'type' mount that is attached to the dashboard, just above the speedo assembly. It's a great location, as it is directly in front of you, as opposed to off to one side on the handle bars. It is also so high up, that glancing at it barely takes your eyes away from the road. With the volume turned all the way up, it is really not difficult to hear, with the stereo volume turned down. The problem, I discovered, in mounting at that location, is there is very little clearance between the dash and the windshield for a mount. I found the perfect device, from only one supplier on Ebay last December. I tried to locate it again for this post, but found that he no longer has that particular mount available. It's too bad, as I think the mounting location is ideal. I have used the suction mount on the windshield in the past and achieved the same results, but there is always the fear of the suction cup cutting loose. I still keep it plugged in, even on the new device, just as a safety precaution. The power cord and its plug on a Garmin, is strong enough to act as a tether in an emergency. If I can ever locate the new mount from another supplier, I will post it with pictures. I also attached a sun shade and the results are very workable in direct sun under most conditions.

NKYWinger
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade
2003 GL1800

Postby NKYWinger » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:27 am

Mh434 wrote:Refurbished or not, that seems to be a SMOKIN' deal!!

Yup! When I looked at the price of a new one from Garmin, I bought mine - I really, REALLY like the big screen! (old eyes)
--John--

FTCS(SS) USN Ret.
'83 GL1100 Aspy (SOLD)
'03 GL1800
'08 Lees-ure Lite
GWRRA 339547 KY - 'G'
DS# 1547

dlfierce
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

Postby dlfierce » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:34 pm

I use a Garmin 780 which I have upgraded to lifetime maps. It has an audio out which I link into a transmitter for my blue tooth in my helmet, I have just ordered a Glare Stomper cover for mine as well. I am using the suction cup on the emblem just forward of the radio near the fader wheel. I have had it come off only the first time I mounted it when the emblem let go and the whole assembly fell forward. I re glued the assembly and the cup has not let go unless I removed it.

Dwight_n_Sue
Motorcycle: '96 GoldWing GL1500 SE w\ 2004 Lehman GTL Trike conversion

Postby Dwight_n_Sue » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:15 pm

I have an old Garmin Street Pilot 2730 on our trike. It is a motorcycle unit, meant for shock, vibration, and moisture. I have it mounted on a stalk at the front brake. I checked eBay and they are there for less than $150. Lifetime maps is available from Garmin. I use a sunshield but when the sun is behind you the maps are washed out. It has a separate speaker that satisfies my needs but it has the capability to play over the FM band of the Goldwing radio. Has an audio in jack for MP3 players but I'm an old guy and that's a new trick.
Attachments

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Postby Big Blue UK » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:16 pm

Bluewaterhooker0 wrote:I use a Garmin Nuvi 52LM (lifetime maps) on a Garmin 'type' mount that is attached to the dashboard, just above the speedo assembly. It's a great location, as it is directly in front of you, as opposed to off to one side on the handle bars. It is also so high up, that glancing at it barely takes your eyes away from the road. With the volume turned all the way up, it is really not difficult to hear, I have used the suction mount on the windshield in the past and achieved the same results, but there is always the fear of the suction cup cutting loose

I use my Garmin that way, keeps it out the weather too, I put a stainless screw through the screen into the top and bottom of the mount.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:46 am

WiredGeorge,

The above deal for a Garmin 450 for $150 is a good deal.

After a large tax refund several years ago I got a great deal on a Garmin 660. It gives me directions and so forth but really fails at trip planning. I had used maps for years to plan my rides and trips. I like the fact that a map gives not only a specific road but the big picture also. For me, I have found that a GPS is great once I get to a city and can punch in a specific address and then let the GPS tell me how to get there. As an example, I will input the motel address and then go for a ride around the area usually just following my nose till it is time to return to the motel and then I punch in the location and let it tell me how to get there.

What I am saying is that a GPS is a great tool but not necessary for travel. Maps still work, frequently show info not on the GPS, and really don't take that much space. And they don't yell at you when you deviate from the planned route.

harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”