1991 1500 leak in upper clutch flex hose

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
ghendo
Motorcycle: 82 GL1100 interstate
91 GL1500 interstate

1991 1500 leak in upper clutch flex hose

Postby ghendo » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:24 pm

major leak in upper flex clutch hose. have faring removed.
Can I just replace the flex line? or should I replace the entire line? Or do I have to replace entire line?
If I replace the entire line would like to use braided steel flex.
Have researched braided steel lines have found them available for 97 and newer not for 91. Is there a source for these lines? While I have it all torn apart would really like to not have to do it again.

ghendo
Motorcycle: 82 GL1100 interstate
91 GL1500 interstate

Re: 1991 1500 leak in upper clutch flex hose

Postby ghendo » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:00 pm

well gave up waiting for a reply. got the line pulled today, my manual indicated that the upper flex line could be replaced. NO WAY could this be done.
I have seen here where someone pulled the line without removing the nose. On my bike the hard line was clamped to the frame just forward of the 3 bolt triangular motor mount. Almost impossible to get it open with nose removed, would be totally hidden and unreachable without first removing the nose. Also while the banjo fitting on the slave cylinder was accessable from the starboard side from the bottom another heavy duty frame clamp directly behind the alternator would make it impossible to get the old line out and the new line in without removing the alternator.
I took the old line to a local shop and had a braided steel line made up. It was much easier to install, just pulled it through with the wire I pulled through when I removed the old line.
Bleeding the system was easy. Initially I just pumped the handle, put my finger over the hole, released the handle, after about 20 pumps fluid came out. Then with a simple clear hose bleeder from Harbor Freight,I pumped until I saw no more bubbles tightened the bleeder nut, and the clutch seems to work fine.
Now all I need is a couple of days to reinstall all the plastic, and I can give it a try.
This little job has soured me on the Gold Wing, this line is the biggest piece of crap I have seen. I probably will never buy another bike anyway, but if I did it would not be a Honda Gold Wing.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 1991 1500 leak in upper clutch flex hose

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:40 am

The first time I had to pull the bodywork apart to get to something I thought; "this is terrible, I HATE the amount of work it takes to do this" - it was hours of work.

But part of that was just figuring out how to to actually do it. Now, while I still don't love doing it, I'm much, much faster at pulling it apart to get to the parts you need to get to.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”