Results of recent maintenance, & new stuff testing

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Results of recent maintenance, & new stuff testing

Postby Mh434 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:56 am

Over the past couple of months (when the weather hereabouts was rain, more rain, heavy rain, followed by rain and showers) I took the opportunity to do a bunch of maintenance on my '97 GL1500SE, and thought I'd post the results, as today was the newly-insured, first ride day.

First, I have to thank WingAdmin (yet again!) for his invaluable how-to pictorials, without which I'd have been stumbling around in the dark, referring to black-and-white drawings in manuals, incomplete instructions, and conjecture. If there's anything you plan to do on your 'Wing, look to GoldwingDocs DIY articles BEFORE starting. If it can be done, it has been done here, correctly.

Except for the oil & antifreeze (sourced locally), all of my tune-up & maintenance parts came from Cyclemax. Fine folks there, order shipped the same day I made it, and everything received was precisely correct.

Firstly, I replaced the three main air filters. The main engine air filter was filthy - stained, sooty, oily, and disgusting. It's amazing any air was getting through it at all. I went with a stock-replacement filter, rather than a K&N etc. I also replaced the sub and cruise filters. As others have found, the sub air filter looked perfect - until I removed it from its plastic housing, whereupon it crumbled into oily dust. The cruise air filter, on the other hand, was still as-new. Since I'd bought a new one, I installed it anyway, keeping the original as a spare. I'm hoping not to have to do the air filters again anytime soon - what a @#^@%#$% job!!!

I also replaced the timing belts, using Gates T275 belts & WingAdmin's tutorial. No surprises, all went well.

As the cooling system had to be opened up, I replaced the coolant. The old stuff looked fine, but as I had new stuff (100% silicate-free, for Honda engines), I put in the new stuff.

Oil & filter was done too, of course. I found Rotella motorcycle-rated stuff locally, at reasonable cost. When I ordered my filter from Cyclemax, I also ordered the filter wrench that WingAdmin recommends (nice piece of kit!) and the magnetic oil plug for peace-of-mind.

New spark plugs, of course. The old ones looked great, although the gap was a bit wide. No idea on when they were last done, as this was the first real maintenance I've done, having only bought the bike last spring.

I also bought & installed a set of LED driving lights, which I just tested. As this post is getting long, I'll review them under "product reviews", as well as my new helmet and riding boots.

Observations on results of the maintenance - the bike started the same as always (i.e., first crank, it burst into life). While riding, I noticed a distinct improvement in off the line acceleration. Engine was extremely smooth (somewhat surprising, as it's running on 5-month-old fuel, albeit with fuel preservative added), and pulled hard to redline without complaint.

Interestingly, the low-RPM full-throttle grumble that used to be there is all but gone now. I suspect the air filter & new plugs played a hand in this.

Bike seems to run a tad cooler than before. Only idling for a while during LED light adjustment was enough to get the fans to come on, just above the middle of the temp gauge. By that time, ambient temperature was around 0 degrees C.

All in all, a lot of work, but worth it. I'm a happy camper.

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Re: Results of recent maintenance, & new stuff testing

Postby joeincalif » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:23 am

When I purchased my 97 SE in November 2014 I also changed all the filters. The bike only had 30300 miles on it. The air filter was dirty, I'm sure it was the original because it had the charcoal filter that the Calif bikes came with. I also had the same results as you with the cruise and sub filter, cruise was like new sub filter fell apart.
The anti freeze was orange in color so I think it was an extended life coolant and it looked great but I changed it since I had already bought new Honda stuff.
You said I'm hoping not to have to do the air filters again anytime soon - what a @#^@%#$% job!!!
Actually it's real easy to do. I had 2 1800 Gold Wings from 02 - 2010 and those are a pain to change.
Every thing on the 1500 is a lot easier to do than on the 1800 except for changing the plugs, the 1800 is easier.
Here is the filter from my 97 SE

My 02

My 08

My current ride 97 SE
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:33 am

Just about everything you do for maintenance is difficult the first time. After that it's not so bad. The air filter the first time I changed it took a couple of hours. Now 30 minutes and it's done if that's all I'm doing. Find I check a number of things once it's stripped down that far. Hope you thought to change the fuel filter at the same time.

I'll add to "joeincalif" comments versus the 1800. The rear wheel on the 1800 is easier to remove. Wait till you tackle that on the 1500.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:51 am

cbx4evr wrote:Just about everything you do for maintenance is difficult the first time. After that it's not so bad. The air filter the first time I changed it took a couple of hours. Now 30 minutes and it's done if that's all I'm doing. Find I check a number of things once it's stripped down that far. Hope you thought to change the fuel filter at the same time.

I'll add to "joeincalif" comments versus the 1800. The rear wheel on the 1800 is easier to remove. Wait till you tackle that on the 1500.

Yeah, I dread removing the rear wheel. Because I have that custom wraparound bumper, it makes it even more difficult. To get to the wheel, I have to remove the bags. But to remove the bags, I first have to remove the bumper. But to remove the bumper I first have to remove the lower guards and passenger footrests. And on it goes.

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:07 pm

joeincalif: I am curious why you went from the 1800's back to a 1500..........
Bill

702scottc
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1990 GL1500 Aspencade (sold)
2005 GL1800

Postby 702scottc » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:01 pm

I think the toughest job I've done on mine at this point was replacing the thermostat and radiator cross - over hose. They definitely built the bike around those pieces. But they lasted 25 yrs.. First time I
Replaced the rear tire was fun, now not so bad. Pull the left saddle bag and get it a couple of feet off the ground is the trick.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:50 am

Taken on it's own, each of the jobs I did was reasonably straightforward - my problem was that I did all of them simultaneously. Looking back on it now, it doesn't seem so daunting. Doing all of those jobs, all for the first time, seemed worse than it was. Still - I'm happy it's over!

Now, it's time to enjoy the bike! Took it on a brief ride (first ride of the year for my wife) tonight. Very pleasant! My wife enjoyed her new Vega Summit 3.1 helmet- her first full-face (modular) lid. Snug, quiet, and comfortable. Of course, the headset from her 3/4 helmet won't fit the new one, so I had to order another set tonight. Sigh.

702scottc
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1990 GL1500 Aspencade (sold)
2005 GL1800

Postby 702scottc » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:08 am

It's always something. Lol. I lucked out when I got this bike, my friend had 3 complete J&M helmet headsets he gave me. I have 1 in my full face modular and the other 2 in both of my half helmets. Vega makes a nice helmet for the price, glad you are able to enjoy your bike. Another person I know recently purchased a new full face that has a rear view feature, pretty slick once you get used to it.

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:03 pm

bstig60 wrote:joeincalif: I am curious why you went from the 1800's back to a 1500..........

That's easy I can answer that - because it's a better bike, more comfortable, more room for your knees, bigger bags .......
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Postby joeincalif » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:32 pm

bstig60 wrote:joeincalif: I am curious why you went from the 1800's back to a 1500..........

My wife stopped riding with me because of her bad back back in 2001. I had a 98 SE back then. Then in 03 I bought my 02 Gold Wing and in 08 I bought my 08 1800 The decided I really didn't need that big of a bike if I was only doing 1 up riding. So I sold my wing and I bought a new 09 Kawasaki Concours. What a great bike but I could never get comfortable on it for any long rides, So I sold it and bought a cruiser, a Honda VT1100 Shadow Sabre. Great bike but the fuel tank was only 4 gls., to small to do any back road touring. Then I bought a Honda VTX 1300 S. Great bike, bigger tank 4.8 gls but it had spoke wheels and if you get a flat with spoke your up a creek because they have tubes. Then I bought an 07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad. Now, that is a great bike BUT still not a Gold Wing. I guess I missed cruise control, reverse, center stand, CB radio, and a few other things that the Wing has and none of my 3 cruisers did. Since I only ride about 2 or 3 days a month now I wanted another wing but didn't want to tie up $12,000 + for a used 1800. I got a great deal on my 1500 and it only had 30200 miles on it.

IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”