pulled clutch lever .... nothing

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
1stTimeWinger
Motorcycle: 1992 gl1500 interstate

pulled clutch lever .... nothing

Postby 1stTimeWinger » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:49 am

Went out and started bike for first time since last year. Went to take a quick spin and pulled clutch lever in and had no resistance .. Looked at clutch res. and it was empty .No puddles or mess on floor . NOTE : I just bought it before I parked it , and this is my first bike and Goldwing in 30 years . ???

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: pulled clutch lever .... nothing

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:02 am

1stTimeWinger wrote:Went out and started bike for first time since last year. Went to take a quick spin and pulled clutch lever in and had no resistance .. Looked at clutch res. and it was empty .No puddles or mess on floor . NOTE : I just bought it before I parked it , and this is my first bike and Goldwing in 30 years . ???

If it was full when you put it away, and it's empty now - and there's no evidence of a leak, that means the clutch fluid has leaked into the crankcase. This is VERY BAD - left in there, it can destroy your main bearings, which basically destroys the engine. Don't run your engine until it's fixed!

First thing, you need to rebuild your clutch slave cylinder to fix the leak. Second, you need to change your engine oil, to get rid of the clutch fluid in there.

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:54 am

1stTimeWinger wrote:Went out and started bike for first time since last year. Went to take a quick spin and pulled clutch lever in and had no resistance .. Looked at clutch res. and it was empty .No puddles or mess on floor . NOTE : I just bought it before I parked it , and this is my first bike and Goldwing in 30 years . ???

Check at clutch lever for sign of leak. Mine did same thing last year and I admit that fluid has not been added since new. No fluid on floor but found 1 small drop on fairing vent by CB radio. Refilled and bleed and riding again after new seals. If you know it was full when parked you have a slave problem.

http://www.saber-cycle.com/store/product600.html
http://www.saber-cycle.com/store/product131.html

1stTimeWinger
Motorcycle: 1992 gl1500 interstate

Postby 1stTimeWinger » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:05 am

Thank you for the replies , yes it was full when parked , after researching on here as to what the problem could be , I think i may need to research how to rebuild both .

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”