Radio Memory, Clock, signal light timer, and Flameout...?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
midnightjoe
Motorcycle: 1992 Goldwing 1500 Aspencade

Radio Memory, Clock, signal light timer, and Flameout...?

Postby midnightjoe » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:44 pm

Well I've already read a ton of posts this is my first post. The problems started after I lost traction at Emerald Bay had to let the bike go. I took a seat on the pavement, let the bike go, and it took a tumble. I had to replace the front fairing, trunk lid, and one valve cover. It runs and looks great except for these gremlins in the electronics.

I keep blowing the 5amp fuse #9. When that happens the radio sounds weaker, I lose the presets, and the clock loses time. I've checked all the relays read about 7ohms. I haven't checked the wires at the radio plug yet, but I will this weekend.

Also when I go over a sizeable bump or shake the handle bars at speed the engine dies. I have to turn the key off, then on, and it fires. I've read that could be the stabilization sensor and I have another used one I just haven't found it on the bike.

Lastly, the signal lights stop blinking after a few seconds whether I've turned or not.

Any help with these gremlins would
be greatly appreciated.

I'm not snoring. I'm dreaming I'm riding my motorcycle.
;)

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Re: Radio Memory, Clock, signal light timer, and Flameout...?

Postby bstig60 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:27 am

Sounds like you have multiple problems: Fuse 9 goes to the reverse lever switch. Check for a shorted Br/W wire. As for the ignition switch, I would check the kill switch wiring first, if that is OK, remove the ignition switch and make sure everything is secure there. I would pull the left bar switch off and check the connections.
Bill

midnightjoe

Postby midnightjoe » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:11 pm

What is the left bar switch?
;)

bstig60
1999 Virago XV1100LC

Postby bstig60 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:39 pm

The handlebar switch on the left side has the signal light switch in it. BTW, the signal lites have a timer setup based on the distance you go and they will turn off automatically. Supposed to work that way.
Bill

midnightjoe

Postby midnightjoe » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:52 pm

I realize there is the turn signal cancelation unit which is supposed to get info from the speedometer and shut the turn signals off after a certain distance, but mine shut-off much sooner after the accident. They shut-off while waiting stopped at the light. They usually don't stay on for longer than 5 seconds driving straight. They used to work properly.

As for the flameout, I tend to believe it is the bank angle sensor because it only happens when I hit a bump or jar the bike. I read there was a recall for 88-93 and mine is a 92 but don't know if the originally owner had it done...
;)

bstig60
1999 Virago XV1100LC

Postby bstig60 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:59 pm

That's possible..... But both problems could be wiring that has come loose or broken as a result of the accident. The dying when hitting a bump, etc., has come up on the forum before. You might try doing a search.
Bill

midnightjoe

Postby midnightjoe » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:33 pm

I don't think that because the #9 fuse lists "back-up" means it goes to the reverse lever. It "backs-up" the radio memory and clock.
;)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:17 pm

midnightjoe wrote:I don't think that because the #9 fuse lists "back-up" means it goes to the reverse lever. It "backs-up" the radio memory and clock.

That's correct, and it is live at all times, even when the bike is turned off.

midnightjoe

Postby midnightjoe » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:01 am

I think I got it!
FIrst of all I'd like to say Thank You bstig60 for your help. I now understand that there was a change after '93 that listed the #9 fuse to the reverse system. Mine is a '92 and the fuse is listed as a "backup" for the radio memory and clock. They also added the #13 fuse then that did what the #9 fuse does on mine.

Getting to the issue(s) at hand... I believe the fuse blows because of the vanity mirror light wire plugs in the rear speaker housing. After the accident I was replacing the trunk lid I also added rear speakers. There are wires in their console that have to do with a switch that cuts power to the trunk light when the lid is closed. I didn't know how to wire them in so I left them unplugged. One of them has a rubber boot, but I think the other one might sometimes touch the speaker and short-out. That might explain why it doesn't always blow the fuse when I shut-off the bike. I have figured out how to wire the switch into the circuit so the problem should go away.... If that is the cause.

Anyway, I still haven't gotten to the bottom of the malfunctioning auto signal light shut off. I am considering disconnecting the turn signal control cancelation unit and just have the signal light work the way they do on my other XR 650L, manually.

;)

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”