California Carb question

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
n5926g
Motorcycle: 1990 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

California Carb question

Postby n5926g » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:39 am

Mornin guy,s,
Just purchased an entire carb set with manifold on ebay,and they are pristeen,BUT came from California...I am aware that California emissions rules are different than most other states,My 90 GL1500 likely has never seen California,so the question is....Will there be any difference between the ones presently on the bike,and the new ones? I have NOT pulled the originals off yet.....comments appreciated

curley
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level 3

Re: California Carb question

Postby curley » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:28 am

bought a used ('93) 1500 from a California salvage yard...when I rebuilt the carbs ...I didn't order any special "California Goldwing" carburetor rebuild kit...the evaporative ( Gasoline fumes) management/collection may be different from your bike and a California bike...if you have a manual there are listings/diagrams showing vacuum hose routing due to the need for "cleaner air" out here...I don't remember any carburetor specific instructions/parts when I rebuilt the carbs.

n5926g

Postby n5926g » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:56 am

curley wrote:bought a used ('93) 1500 from a California salvage yard...when I rebuilt the carbs ...I didn't order any special "California Goldwing" carburetor rebuild kit...the evaporative ( Gasoline fumes) management/collection may be different from your bike and a California bike...if you have a manual there are listings/diagrams showing vacuum hose routing due to the need for "cleaner air" out here...I don't remember any carburetor specific instructions/parts when I rebuilt the carbs.

Thanks for the quick reply,This is a complete carb assembly,and as nice as it is I really hate to dismantle it...It either came off a VERY low mileage bike,or was professionally rebuilt prior to me getting it...NO signs of use(Varnish,gum etc)

curley

Postby curley » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:40 am

to play it "safe" ....I would question the seller as to it's "internal" condition...the pilot jet passages are tiny and left over fuel could clogged them up...a dried out set of carbs could also have cracked "o-rings" or brittle diaphrams...after you see how much work it is just to get the old carbs out...you may only want to install "new carbs" that you know will work the first time...it's not that hard to rebuild them...especially if you have out on the bench and they "look" clean on the outside...good luck with what ever choice you decide to make.

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:41 am

Sorry, I haven't been following all your other posts but why did you decide to by different carbs for your 1500?

n5926g

Postby n5926g » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:47 am

spiralout wrote:Sorry, I haven't been following all your other posts but why did you decide to by different carbs for your 1500?

Mornin!...The carbs presently on the 1500 are nasty,and havent been "run" in about 10 years,Slides are locked up as well...The set I got look brand new.I plan to take them apart to a degree for inspection before the swap.I also am replacing the fuel tank,so hopefully with IT out,I can get better access to the carb assembly...

curley

Postby curley » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:30 am

if you're going that far....
1) rebuild the fuel petcock...rebuild kits at Cyclemax in Ohio
2) check fuel pump output...maybe install a new "aftermarket" automotive type; Google: fuel pump replacement GL1500
3) check all fuel hoses, I would recommend replacing all fuel line clamps
4) The carbs are "water cooled/heated"...suggest replacing coolant lines and clamps to the "heat plate" under the carbs
5) Flush and replace the antifreeze/coolant in the rads and engine
6) if you're pulling the tank to clean it ...you may want to "seal it" with some POR-15 to make sure any "rust" doesn't get into the filters/pump
7) new fuel filter and air filter ( while you're in there)
8) there will be various vacuum lines you'll see when the tupperwear comes off...look at the lines from the intake manifolds ( especially on the left side) and determine if they need replacement( it makes a wicked 90 degree bend)...follow them to where they split off and check all those lines too...
9) oil and filter change
10) check the battery for "cranking power"

take your time...the riding season is still young

n5926g

Postby n5926g » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:00 am

curley wrote:if you're going that far....
1) rebuild the fuel petcock...rebuild kits at Cyclemax in Ohio
2) check fuel pump output...maybe install a new "aftermarket" automotive type; Google: fuel pump replacement GL1500
3) check all fuel hoses, I would recommend replacing all fuel line clamps
4) The carbs are "water cooled/heated"...suggest replacing coolant lines and clamps to the "heat plate" under the carbs
5) Flush and replace the antifreeze/coolant in the rads and engine
6) if you're pulling the tank to clean it ...you may want to "seal it" with some POR-15 to make sure any "rust" doesn't get into the filters/pump
7) new fuel filter and air filter ( while you're in there)
8) there will be various vacuum lines you'll see when the tupperwear comes off...look at the lines from the intake manifolds ( especially on the left side) and determine if they need replacement( it makes a wicked 90 degree bend)...follow them to where they split off and check all those lines too...
9) oil and filter change
10) check the battery for "cranking power"

I have a replacement tank on hand,the original one is too far gone(in my opinion).

take your time...the riding season is still young

dennislp
Motorcycle: 90 1500 se

Postby dennislp » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:29 pm

I think carbs are the same the jetting may be different depending on year but will still work I think the dif was in the vent lines and hoses for the vapor tanks. but its been a long time sence I worker on a cal bike I go to the parts list and compare numbers

curley

Postby curley » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:31 pm

if it rains a lot where you live...(California is drying up fast)...Once you get the carbs off...it's the only way to get at the ignition coils and ignition wires...recommend changing the wires if you can...On my '93 coming back from the midwest (the last few days of a 6000 mile ride) we got caught is a Hurricane coming up from the Gulf of Mexico...we were in New Mexico and had to stop for the night as the rain was so bad I couldn't see...just followed the white line next to the shoulder to get off I-40...Once we got off the interstate we made to a McDonalds in Moriarty, NM...the bike kinds sputtered a few times as I wheeled into the parking lot...if you change the wires put new plugs in too....use some anti-seize on the plugs and some silicone grease on the boots...hope this helps

n5926g

Postby n5926g » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:38 pm

curley wrote:if it rains a lot where you live...(California is drying up fast)...Once you get the carbs off...it's the only way to get at the ignition coils and ignition wires...recommend changing the wires if you can...On my '93 coming back from the midwest (the last few days of a 6000 mile ride) we got caught is a Hurricane coming up from the Gulf of Mexico...we were in New Mexico and had to stop for the night as the rain was so bad I couldn't see...just followed the white line next to the shoulder to get off I-40...Once we got off the interstate we made to a McDonalds in Moriarty, NM...the bike kinds sputtered a few times as I wheeled into the parking lot...if you change the wires put new plugs in too....use some anti-seize on the plugs and some silicone grease on the boots...hope this helps

Good advice...Thanks!

n5926g

Postby n5926g » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:01 am

Been looking at Fuel pumps...There are quite alot of what appear to be EXTERNAL fuel pumps supposedly for the GL1500....Is this really an option?..Im not too keen on aftermarket parts,but IF my original "Go,s South" 50 bucks sounds alot better than 300.....Thoughts?

dennislp
Motorcycle: 90 1500 se

Postby dennislp » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:33 am

I would get a used oem pump before I got a aftermarket

n5926g

Postby n5926g » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:39 am

dennislp wrote:I would get a used oem pump before I got a aftermarket

Im with you on that.... :D

curley

Postby curley » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:04 pm

here is an article on (2) replacement pumps( good read)...( the Delphi was unavailable) I used the Airtex for my '93
http://www.berrysweb.com/1500_fuel_pump.htm

found the airtex pump on amazon, $23
http://www.amazon.com/Airtex-E8371-Elec ... ords=e8371

hope this helps

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”