All about Propeller shafts and ujoints.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Wingryder1
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda Gl1500 SE three older goldwings, and a host of other cycles going clear back to High School with a 58 Cushman Eagle.

All about Propeller shafts and ujoints.

Postby Wingryder1 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:35 pm

My 94 is due for tires again and I need a refresher on cleaning and lubricating the drive line. (prop shaft) and the ujoint as well.
I have done most of this before with the exception of the ujoint. Can this be checked and lubed without removing the entire swing arm?
I looked around on here and did not find much on this. I know about Honda Moly paste and leaving the four bolts on the front of the rear end loose until everything else is buttoned up. But I am sure I have forgotten other details as its been a while.

On a related note... I was shocked to see the price of tires lately. The days of Dunlop E3's for 200 a pair seems to be in the Goldwings rear view mirror.

thanks

Wingryder

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: All about Propeller shafts and ujoints.

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:00 pm

The U-joint uses sealed bearings, and does not need lubrication - you just run it until it fails. It's pretty tough (but not impossible) to get to - the best way to inspect it is to peel back the rubber cover.

Wingryder1
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda Gl1500 SE three older goldwings, and a host of other cycles going clear back to High School with a 58 Cushman Eagle.

Postby Wingryder1 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:19 pm

Surprised the universal joint does not have a grease fitting. Ok they are sealed that is good I guess. but does not get that front spline lubed. Rear is straight forward.. when shaft is removed.
From what I have read.. the swing arm would have to come out to get any grease in that front spline. If I was to do that.. I would replace the universal joint as well. I think I will service the prop shaft and be happy with that this tire change. Maybe one more set of tires will conclude our biking. We are not youngsters.

wingryder.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:49 am

You don't have to "remove" the swing arm. Loosen the left side bolt and remove the right side bolt and the swing arm will drop down enough to allow removal of the u-joint for lubing the front splines. You will need a tool for the lock nuts.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Wingryder1

Postby Wingryder1 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:39 am

Thanks dingdong.. And my reading elsewhere tells me the swingarm bearings can be removed, cleaned and repacked (or replaced) one side at a time at this same point. I guess I will pull the bags off as a unit. (gets them clear out of the way) and get to the tire change and rear end service. All this lubing and cleaning can be done while the wheel is at the Honda Shop for mounting and balancing.
Thanks to those that chimed in.

Wingryder

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:30 pm

With the driveshaft removed the u-joint and front yoke can be slid back to grease output shaft splines.

Swing arm bearings are a very low maintenance item unless there is a reason to repack/replace. Your time would be better spent on just a retorque.

This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”