Goldwing 1500 SE radio problem.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
goldwinggerry59
Motorcycle: 1991 Anniversary Edition 1500 SE.

Goldwing 1500 SE radio problem.

Postby goldwinggerry59 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:08 pm

Hey Fellas,
The FM part of my 1500 radio has gone very low and now I can't hear it while riding the bike. It just happened last night while riding home. The volume just kept going from high to low for an hour or so but now will not go to high volume at all. The AM part of the radio works fine and loud but is of little use to me as it's foreign language stations on AM. The mute is working good as it mutes the AM and I checked all the fuses including the 5 amp fuse inside the relay compartment but they are all good. I also changed around the relays but made no difference. Perhaps the FM part of the radio itself is faulty? What do you guys think? Do you have any ideas what could be the problem?
When the bike has been idle for an hour or so and if I turn on the radio it works fine for some minutes and then it goes to low volume again. Any advice?
Regards; Gerry.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Goldwing 1500 SE radio problem.

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:06 pm

Entirely possible something's gone wrong with the radio itself, however the first thing I would check is the antenna and all of the coax wire and connections in between the antenna and the radio.

goldwinggerry59

Postby goldwinggerry59 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:51 pm

Yeah but if the antenna or the coax cable was the problem surely the AM section of the radio wouldn't work would it? And the FM just goes high and low even if the bike is stationary without any vibration whatever. It's like something perhaps the FM receiver inside the radio is breaking down... By the way I have tried moving the wires to the rear of the radio but it makes no difference.
Gerry.

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:40 pm

The AM is a different type of signal wave, and is picked up by a much smaller antenna than FM, so AM will still receive better even with a bad or disconnected antenna. . . . check the connections along the coax and IF thats not it, have the radio inspected.
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Wayne
Motorcycle: 2000 Valkyrie Tourer
2008 GL1800 Level 3 White
2015 GL1800 Level 3 Red/Black Anniversary

Postby Wayne » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:56 am

Very common for the FM tuner pack to go bad. This is the most common problem with the 1500 audio unit as it ages.
The FM will work on a bobby pin for an antenna but AM requires a 31" or more for good reception. If you unscrew antenna mast off a GL it will lose most if not all AM but FM will work pretty well. That is why the antennas Sierra makes for the CB/AM/FM loses a lot of the AM performance but still works well for FM and most riders don't mind the lose of the AM. It uses a straight thru splitter for CB and cap couples for the AM/FM.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:31 pm

Just throwing this out there, don't know if it's remotely applicable, but... if you're using headsets, with the intercom on, the intercom mute knob will cause the stereo to mute way down whenever a sound is picked up by either of the microphones (even with just the rider on board, if he has a headset).

As I say, it's just an outside-the-box idea, but sometimes the simplest things confound us. How many of us, for example, have agonized over a no-start problem, only to realize we'd bumped the kill switch to "off". I know someone who did that...it might have been me! :roll:

goldwinggerry59

Postby goldwinggerry59 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:10 am

Well guys, I pulled out the radio and left it on the FM channel as I stripped off it's bottom plate. It kept going from high to low volume while I did this. I probed all around the circuit board with my finger in case I might find a bad connection or dry solder joint but no matter what I did made no difference. It just was low volume one second and high the next. I then sprayed some electrical spray into the back of the volume and the other 4 rotary controls and walked away and went to lunch. When I returned an hour later the radio was on high volume and I tapped and shook it but it would not go low anymore and was working perfect. I left it on for another 4 hours turned up to half volume and it worked perfect. I then put back everything and took the bike for a ride of 100 miles on our not-so-good Connemara roads and the radio never went low again. It is working as it should now but I can't imagine how I fixed it unless it was the electrical spray that sorted it. Hopefully it'll stay working properly now. I was looking at one for sale on ebay for €350 but I thought it was a bit pricey.
Gerry.

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:03 am

Sounds like you had dirty contacts inside the Volume control knob, so yes, the spray fixed it, CONGRATS ! :D
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:43 pm

Good job!! As Uncle Fester said, you must have crud inside the rotary volume control knob. I've found that on old stereo equipment that's been sitting for awhile, I often have to turn the knobs up & down a few dozen times to get them working properly again. The electrical spray, of course, is the correct way to do it...and you've done that!

goldwinggerry59

Postby goldwinggerry59 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:13 pm

Well I hope you are right! It's still working away anyway so I'll keep from buying a replacement for the moment. Thanks to all of you who showed an interest in this topic.
Regards;
Gerry.

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:25 pm

If it happens again, you might try rotating the volume knob full swing 10-12 times with the power off, and see if it comes to life again with the power on. If so, you've found your problem. At that point, I'd go in there with the contact cleaner again, and rotate - spray - repeat many times to do a more thorough job of it. My experience has been that once such a problem develops, it is likely to reoccur. The better you can clean it, the longer the fix will last.

goldwinggerry59

Postby goldwinggerry59 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:07 am

Well Guys,
The radio worked well for the past year but has once again started to do the same thing. This time though I pulled it apart and checked to see if any were any broken or dry joints but found nothing. I sprayed inside the volume and other rotary knobs again but still going high and low volume. I poked and probed inside on it's circuit board with a little plastic screwdriver while radio was switched on but nothing made a difference. I now have decided to replace the damn thing altogether and get a replacement as I can find no one here in Ireland that can repair it. It would cost in the region of $200 just to ship it to USA to have it repaired. I can probably buy a used one for that amount. If I knew where the problem lay perhaps some technician here may be able to repair it. As of now though, no joy.
Regards and thanks;
Gerry.

bntyhntr6975
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500A
2005 VTX1300C

Postby bntyhntr6975 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:55 am

A replacement unit may or may not be any better than what youve got. But Sierra Electronics will fix the problem right. ($125 if I remember right.)
You have choices, and theyre yours to make. But if youre planning to spend the money, it might be better spent knowing what youll have when its said and done.

Wayne

Postby Wayne » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:58 pm

I would check the solder lands at the neck of the radio for an open land. This is the most common problem I have found with the 1500 audio unit. When checking it out just put upper pressure on the connectors at the radio.

goldwinggerry59

Postby goldwinggerry59 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:44 am

Wayne wrote:I would check the solder lands at the neck of the radio for an open land. This is the most common problem I have found with the 1500 audio unit. When checking it out just put upper pressure on the connectors at the radio.

Thanks for your reply Wayne. I checked the neck of the unit and re-soldered some of the connections but didn't sort the problem. Last week though when I stripped it down first I did find a small black cylinder thing ( I think it's called a 'cap' perhaps capacitor) that had one of it's 'legs' (connections) disconnected from it's solder on the main circuit board. I re-soldered it back into place but this did not fix the problem either. I wonder why this item had dislodged itself from the board and if perhaps this item requires replacing now? Maybe this part is faulty?
Regards;
Gerry.

Wayne

Postby Wayne » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:36 pm

I questioned the tech and he said,"The cap probably does really need replaced, but more than likely the problem
is that there is a trimmer capacitor inside the fm tuner pack and if it gets
dirty, or out of alignment, it will cause that problem. He needs to send it
in for repair."

pbourgoin
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 SE

Postby pbourgoin » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:56 am

Mine has quit on a couple of occasions and I bought 2 off e-bay one was dead when it got here and the other died after 3 months. I finally sent mine into sierra and let them go thru it and when I got it back it sounded better and never had a problem since. If you wend it in you know what you have when it comes back if you get another one you only have a hope its going to work right.... TRUST me its cheaper to know what you have coming than shooting at the craps table.....
I got this Goldwing for my wife........ Good trade huh??? :D

goldwinggerry59

Postby goldwinggerry59 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:36 pm

pbourgoin wrote:Mine has quit on a couple of occasions and I bought 2 off e-bay one was dead when it got here and the other died after 3 months. I finally sent mine into sierra and let them go thru it and when I got it back it sounded better and never had a problem since. If you wend it in you know what you have when it comes back if you get another one you only have a hope its going to work right.... TRUST me its cheaper to know what you have coming than shooting at the craps table.....

Yeah, you are correct of course. I will send it to Sierra next time one of my friends are going to USA as it's way too expensive to mail it. I have several friends going back and forth to USA each year so I'll get one of them to take it there in their checked-in luggage. Hope they are permitted to take it on the aircraft what with all the extra security nowadays?
Regards and thanks;
Gerry.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”