1500 help with radiators removal

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

1500 help with radiators removal

Postby kenp3363 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:10 pm

I am on hide and seek mission to find coolant leak coming from top of engine. how do you remove both radiators with the top hoses on the inside? The manual just says to remove the top hoses that are on the inside, but does not provide the real world truth-like how in the heck do you get to them. I have drained coolant, removed bottom hoses from each and from water pump. PICTURES of How-to-articles have helped on most all other projects, therfore, if anyone has performed this project your help would be welcomed.

The other project with this: removel of both cooling fans units so I can see all the hoses and tubes. Hear again the manual says remove the two mounting bolts and pull out units. Well even with removing the mounting bolts, they do not just pull out.

Warm weather is here and my wife is all over me to get the winter maintenance completed-it time to RIDE not play around in getting the bike back together. But I hate to have any type of fluid leaking no matter how small. Rather get it fixed so does not grow into something bigger.

Thanks to all whom have made some great "How-to-articles" as they have made so many of us look like pros in keeping our bikes on the road and looking great.

Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: 1500 help with radiators removal

Postby redial » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:17 am

The next step in your GW education is to use the "Search" facility. I just typed in "GL1500 radiator", and up come some words of wisdom on how to remove these slippery little suckers.

And welcome, from the Deep Deep South.

Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

Postby dlfierce » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:10 pm

I am presently going through a similar problem with my 89 wing having a slight leak resulting in an antifreeze smell at times. I have not taken the rads out but did have a bit of difficulty removing the fans & housings. There are two bolts on each fan housing at the top that have to be removed as well as moving a very stiff bundle of wires at the top in order to get them out. The fan housings have a pin on the back end that sit into rubber grommets which really don't impede removal. You just have to work at pushing the wires up out of the way and pulling out the housings. Once inside I was able to find a clamp that was loose and tighten same. No further leaks so far. I have not tried to put the fans back in yet as the weather here has turned cold again, but have started it a couple of times just to make sure it no longer leaks as the leak was noticeable when the weather was cool. I have been told that the fan housings can be difficult to put back in place sometimes. We'll see.

Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1990 GL1500 Aspencade
2005 GL1800

Postby 702scottc » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:07 am

I had a coolant leak at the thermostat housing a few months ago. Removing the radiators is fairly strait forward save for the crossover hose on top. Mine was hard as a rock. Replace it when reinstalling the radiators. The trick I found when removing and installing the fans is to spray the top and bottoms and sides of the fan housings with armor all. They slide right back where they belong with little effort. Same with the radiator mounting grommets, lube them up a little and they drop right in.

Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1977 GL1000
1977 GL1000
1993 GL1500
2013 GL1800
2013 GL 1800 trike
2009 Yamaha

Postby bohdan » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:29 am

Yeah, I did this last month. First time I have ever taken the fans and radiators out in the 22 years I had the bike. I didn't have a problem with the top hoses, but that crossover tube was a bear. I ended up saying "screw it" and cutting it. replaced with the 5/16th hose and the hose clamps specifically for these kinds and size of tube. Even after the radiators were out it was still difficult to get the remnants of these tubes off of the boss. The fans need some extra persuasion. Good luck.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”