GL 1500 Seat Colors

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Big Bob
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A Aspencade

GL 1500 Seat Colors

Postby Big Bob » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:06 pm

I have a '96 two tone red Aspencade, my seat is in sad shape and needs to be replaced. The seat is the redish brown color, I'm not sure what color it was called back then. I have found a seat on ebay for sale that's discription is for a '94 Aspencade seat color is called Tuscany Red. The on line pic looks very similar to my seats color. Was that the same seat color for a '96 Aspencade or was it called something else. Also were there any other difference's in the 2 seats, I believe the '96 seat is a little lower than the '94. Any help would be great , Thanks in advance!

Bob

Bob Payette
Rosemount, MN
'96 GL1500A Aspencade, Red The Best Color!
143,000 miles and still going strong!
A bad day off is better than your best day at work!

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Re: GL 1500 Seat Colors

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:25 pm

I just went through the whole Honda seat color thing myself, last month. They are really lacking info on the details at all levels. I even talked to Honda in California, and they could not tell me what their numbering system meant. I finally went with my best guess and bought a new seat and back from Partzilla. It came in just right, solid black, or charcoal as Honda calls it.
Any way, if you are looking at a used seat, I have my old one on craigslist. It is black, not the 2-tone black and gray. I don't know what's the condition the one that you are looking at. Here's the link.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/mpo/4935611374.html

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:38 am

Noticed the same thing on my bike. My color is Bison Brown but apparently there is another Bison Brown for a 89 but has a different color code. Isn't the seat color on the inside of your gas door? You might be able to google that code to find the proper color name for your bike.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Big Bob

Postby Big Bob » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:44 pm

Good info, I thought the color code for the seat too was on the side cover, and was confused when I found nothing. They don't seem to knowledgeable about the seat cover colors, the seat I'm looking at was on ebay , color is Tuscany Red, and is for a '94 Aspencade, color looks like my '96 aspencade seat.

Bob
Bob Payette
Rosemount, MN

Big Bob

Postby Big Bob » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:57 pm

Thanks Happytrails, your info on color code on the gas door was spot on! I used the code to confirm the color of the seat I ordered thru partzilla.com and the price was not to bad also (compared to aftermarket seats) now I must wait for it to arrive! There are not too many factory seats available for 1500 wings, this one is for a '94 so seat height is just a little taller which is o.k., I'm 6'2"!

Bob
Bob Payette
Rosemount, MN

Happytrails

Postby Happytrails » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:17 am

Big Bob wrote:Thanks Happytrails, your info on color code on the gas door was spot on! I used the code to confirm the color of the seat I ordered thru partzilla.com and the price was not to bad also (compared to aftermarket seats) now I must wait for it to arrive! There are not too many factory seats available for 1500 wings, this one is for a '94 so seat height is just a little taller which is o.k., I'm 6'2"!

Bob

Glad it worked out :D Partzilla has nice prices too.
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Big Bob

Postby Big Bob » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:24 pm

New seat arrived today, hopefully I will have a chance tomorrow a.m. to get a good look at it next to the bike, but a quick look at it looks good.

Bob
Bob Payette
Rosemount, MN

jtornese
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby jtornese » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:15 am

I'm in the auto paint business and can tell you that SEM company has a line of aerosol paints just for painting vinyl. I have used them when my wife bought 4 different colored barber chairs when she opened her hair salon and then we made them all black. To do the best job, wipe old vinyl with acetone. Next spray adhesion promoter, (like Klean Strip's Bulldog), then the Sem Color Coat for vinyl. This special paint is flexible so it doesn't pop off when the vinyl moves. I recently used this method to turn a brown colored drivers backrest into "Landau Black" and then used it to replace my ultraviolet damaged passenger backrest. What does any of this have to do with the original topic? I would find a nice used seat in any color, and then paint it a color I want, using vinyl paint.

Happytrails

Postby Happytrails » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:03 am

jtornese wrote:I'm in the auto paint business and can tell you that SEM company has a line of aerosol paints just for painting vinyl. I have used them when my wife bought 4 different colored barber chairs when she opened her hair salon and then we made them all black. To do the best job, wipe old vinyl with acetone. Next spray adhesion promoter, (like Klean Strip's Bulldog), then the Sem Color Coat for vinyl. This special paint is flexible so it doesn't pop off when the vinyl moves. I recently used this method to turn a brown colored drivers backrest into "Landau Black" and then used it to replace my ultraviolet damaged passenger backrest. What does any of this have to do with the original topic? I would find a nice used seat in any color, and then paint it a color I want, using vinyl paint.

Might give it a try. Bought a Markland NOS drivers backrest but its grey color. The seat on my bike is bison brown. Got a great price on the backrest and figured I could just change the color. Waiting to see if I can refoam my seat. Thanks for the info.

Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”