New Member, carburetor problem

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
hightaxes2
Motorcycle: 1995 Honda Goldwing 1500 SE

New Member, carburetor problem

Postby hightaxes2 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:57 am

I have a 1995 GL1500 Goldwing and cannot get it to run. we rebuilt the carb and it cill idle at half choke, but can't use the throttle or else it will stall out. Also when I take the choke off it either stalls out or idles at around .1. Again, if I throttle, it stalls out.
Any suggestions or ideas???
Thx

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Re: New Member, carburetor problem

Postby WA9FWT » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:00 pm

Sure sounds like your not getting enough fuel into those carbs, carb starvation. I'm sure you checked your shut off that it's wide open. Also did you check your fuel filter, when was that changed last ? Did you just get this bike out of storage, why did you play with the carbs in the first place ?..did you check your fuel pump pressure and capacity!! I'm sure you cleaned the main jets and the float needle valves.
Did you just get this bike ? Maybe some one rejeted....
Any good luck, and welcome to the site from Sheboygan WI

WA9FWT Phil

hightaxes2

Postby hightaxes2 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:11 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure where the shut off is, but the bike idles between 1000-2000 at half choke so there is some gas coming thru. I thought of gas starvation, but again not sure how to rectify this.
I had the carb cleaned and rebuilt after 7 years of use with no problems. The original problem was that it wouldn't start and all the gas was clogged in the carb. My thought was perhaps there might be a choke setting under the carb that maybe the guy who worked on my bike didn't set properly? Did put a new fuel filter on it.
Thanks again

WA9FWT
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:31 pm

hightaxes2 wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure where the shut off is, but the bike idles between 1000-2000 at half choke so there is some gas coming thru. I thought of gas starvation, but again not sure how to rectify this.
I had the carb cleaned and rebuilt after 7 years of use with no problems. The original problem was that it wouldn't start and all the gas was clogged in the carb. My thought was perhaps there might be a choke setting under the carb that maybe the guy who worked on my bike didn't set properly? Did put a new fuel filter on it.
Thanks again

Gas ( fuel ) clogged in the carb. It was that dirty ?? not sure what you ment by that statement. Any way it sounds like some dirt is still restricting those jets. My suggestion is to clean again....you could try seafoam but that takes time and your best bet is to clean again. One thing a lot of guys do after getting there ride out in spring, is to run a cleaner in the fuel for a couple of tanks of fuel. This I think prevents future problems. I do this also with a Mer 115HP out board and fater a while it seems to even run better.
WA9FWT Phil

hightaxes2

Postby hightaxes2 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:06 pm

Thanks for the reply. supposedly the carb was that dirty. I'm not sure but I think he used seafoam.
One thing I forgot to mention. The guy who worked on my bike snapped off a bolt on the carb and hasn't replaced it yet.
The bole needs to be tapped out and replaced. He doesn't think this is causing any problems but thought I'd mention it here.

WA9FWT
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:37 pm

hightaxes2 wrote:Thanks for the reply. supposedly the carb was that dirty. I'm not sure but I think he used seafoam.
One thing I forgot to mention. The guy who worked on my bike snapped off a bolt on the carb and hasn't replaced it yet.
The bole needs to be tapped out and replaced. He doesn't think this is causing any problems but thought I'd mention it here.

It just sounds to me that you have one dirty carb, and the only good way to correct it is to take it apart again and clean.This is the only way to clean a dirty carb no matter what kind of a engine it is on. Seafoam will help prevent gumming and varnish, but in my estimation it will not remove all gum & varnish after a bad build up.There are lot better cleaners out there to remove the deposits. Good luck at the repair....

WA9FWT Phil

hightaxes2

Postby hightaxes2 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:21 pm

Thanks Phil,
I'll give it a try

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:56 am

When you have the choke on, the majority of the fuel at idle is provided by the choke circuit. When you turn the choke of then the fuel is supplied by the idle circuit. It sounds like your idle circuits are NOT providing the necessary fuel, clearly the choke circuit is as the bike runs with the choke on. I don't know your mechanics competancy, but I would suspect that the idle circuits are blocked and need cleaning, or your mechanic re-assembled the carburetors incorrectly.. Either way it sounds like a carb out, dismantle and re-assemble job.

Gary

hightaxes2

Postby hightaxes2 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:12 am

Thanks Gary,
I'll check it out and hope that does it.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”