Seat compatability?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
PedroTQ
Motorcycle: Motorcycles on the road;
1988 GL-1500

Seat compatability?

Postby PedroTQ » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:49 pm

G'dat to All!

I am close to getting my 88 back on the road, I am also a little short in the legs and want to carve up my seat to get a better foothold on the ground.

My current seat is in very good condition and i am reluctant to chomp it up, therefore I wish to get one from e-bay that needs covering anyway.

My question is; will all seats 1988 ~ 2000 fit my machine? or did they change the shape and design from a certain year onward?

Many thanks in advance,

Peter.

#1 - 1975 GL-1000 - showroom
#2 - 1976 GL-1000 - sidecar
#3 - 1978 GL-1000 - parts
#4 - 1975 GL-1000 - parts, but had the sidecar
#5 - 1978 GL-1000 - project with grandson (secret parts source)
#6 - 1988 GL-1500 - Flagship!
#7 - 1998 GL-1500C - Valkyrie

dennislp
Motorcycle: 90 1500 se

Re: Seat compatability?

Postby dennislp » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:39 am

should all fit I think it was 99 they changed shape a little and are a little lower

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:42 am

The 1995 and later seats are 1.5 inches lower than the older models. You might get one of them and you may not have to shave it.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

mightymousesr
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800/Lehman Trike

Postby mightymousesr » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:26 am

Hi! I figured I'd give you some information on trimming your seat, at 5'2" I had to do mine. Pull the staples then pushing down on the foam to release the pins from the cords that run from the cover to the seat pan. If you're having it reupholstered have your upholstery person put in these cords mainly to keep your seat pulled tight where it dips down if you don't your cover will wander. put the pan/foam back on the bike and bolt it down, sit on the bike (off the center stand) so you can see where you need to trim. Mark the area with a permanent marker. Use a double blade electric knife and slowly slice foam until you have a fit you like, you will have ridges along the edges where you sliced the foam (now the reason for the double blades)rapidly run the knife along those edges to produce a smooth surface. mine was trimmed at the front of the seat, thigh area, that big hump at the front was trimmed until the foam was pretty thin you don't sit there so the thin foam won't matter. If you use the original cover like I did for a while or buy a pre made one just pull the material tightly around the bottom when stapling and it will look great. I trimmed the excess left over after stapling.
For Christmas we bought ourselves a new seat from Dennis Kirk, Its a Travelcade Road sofa seat (p/n H973J) it also comes with a new cover for your passenger backrest, a very nice removable backrest for the driver. Its a lowboy (1 1/2 inches lower style) for Shorties, has gel inserts, after you ride on it for a while the foam will set another inch lower. I facilitated this buy getting old pants filling them with quarter minus granite and sitting it on the seat (on the center stand) where I would normally be when stopped. These pants weighed about 50lbs and every time I parked the bike I'd sit these on the seat it really helped. I then got rid of the factory shocks and put two coil over shocks from progressive 1 inch lower, It doesn't overly lower the bikes stance. Rides MUCH better than the stock air/coilover shocks even two up, it also gets rid of that slight pogo feeling especially when going around corners. I am now down to where I am on the balls of my feet solo and only a little lower two up. You'll only have to pull the bags to install shocks then ride the bike over bumps in the neighborhood two up to set the adjustments on the shocks, before replacing the bags. I don't even miss the air suspension and I love my new foot stance.
Those that say "Old means SLOW" have NEVER ridden a V65 Magna!

PedroTQ
Motorcycle: Motorcycles on the road;
1988 GL-1500

Postby PedroTQ » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:58 pm

Thanks for the replies Gents,

I finally got my 15 on the road at 16:00 yesterday and went for a ride, a whole 6.2 Miles, then had to pack things up as i flew back to work this morning.

I have sniffed about on e-bay for seats, they are quite expensive, even the stuffed ones.

When i fitted my seat on my machine i took a better look at her and realised that she has been shaved, the seat cover hovers about 1/2" above the foam and sitting on her i realised that my heels are about 1" above the ground. good enough!

She is smooth as silk, but handles like a battlship at low speeds. it has been over 25 years since i rode on two wheels, I remember looking at the 1988 GL-1500 when they first came out when i was riding my 86 Z-1300 that had a sidecar attached
Attachments
After the 6.2 mile ride  :-)
After the 6.2 mile ride :-)
#1 - 1975 GL-1000 - showroom
#2 - 1976 GL-1000 - sidecar
#3 - 1978 GL-1000 - parts
#4 - 1975 GL-1000 - parts, but had the sidecar
#5 - 1978 GL-1000 - project with grandson (secret parts source)
#6 - 1988 GL-1500 - Flagship!
#7 - 1998 GL-1500C - Valkyrie

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:56 am

You have that looking good, Pedro, now you have to give up that 'four letter word' and get to ride more. If you are not used to the 'whale' effect at slow speeds, go into a large car park and practice some slow turns. Use shopping trolleys or cones so that you can practice figure 8s, then it will seem like it was made to be! You will soon get your confidence of a bigger bike.

Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”