Texas Tea Motorcycle Oil

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
guitarzan
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Texas Tea Motorcycle Oil

Postby guitarzan » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:02 pm

Hi,
I have some oil, its TexasTea 100% Synthetic Motor Oil for Motorcycles. Now it says SAE 10W-40 Suitable for 10W-40 SJ, JASO, MA. On the site ( www.texastealubes.com ) it says compatible for wet clutches. Now I have a 1994 Goldwing SE 1500 I think I'm suppose to be using a detergent oil, is this TexasTea oil I have a detergent oil? The Owners Manual says to use SF or SG High Detergent. That's on page 35 of the Manual. I'm sorry, I'm trying to learn all this stuff.

Thanks
Frank

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Re: Texas Tea Motorcycle Oil

Postby bstig60 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:57 pm

You will get many opinions on oils, so use your own judgement. I am not familiar with that brand of motor oil. But, I would suggest that 10x40 oil is a little light weight for your climate in summer but would be OK in cooler weather. Synthetic is good IMHO, I use 15w50 Mobil 1 full synthetic in all my bikes. No clutch problems. I might add that most all oils are detergent these days.
Bill

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:05 am

The manual lists oil(s) suitable for your engine/transmission at the time it was printed (and of course the bike was built). If your oil is JASO MA (Japanese standard for special oil which can be used in 4-stroke motorcycle engine with one oil system for engine, gearbox and wet clutch system. Fluid is non-friction modified) rated AND it exceeds the SF / SG rating (as far as I know, you can't even buy oil with those ratings anymore) then I would say that it is PERFECTLY suited for your motorcycle.

The only concern I have when using oil with a wet clutch is that the oil isn't "energy conserving" which usually means it has friction modifiers in it which can make the clutch slip. You oil is specifically rated so you can have peace of mind that it is SAFE for wet clutch.

I've never heard of this oil before and would genuinely like to hear how YOU feel it performs in your MC after some hours of use.

guitarzan wrote:Hi,
I have some oil, its TexasTea 100% Synthetic Motor Oil for Motorcycles. Now it says SAE 10W-40 Suitable for 10W-40 SJ, JASO, MA. On the site ( http://www.texastealubes.com ) it says compatible for wet clutches. Now I have a 1994 Goldwing SE 1500 I think I'm suppose to be using a detergent oil, is this TexasTea oil I have a detergent oil? The Owners Manual says to use SF or SG High Detergent. That's on page 35 of the Manual. I'm sorry, I'm trying to learn all this stuff.

Thanks
Frank
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

guitarzan
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Postby guitarzan » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:18 pm

Well I'll give it a shot. Here is the address of the specifics on the oil if you want to read about it.
http://shop.texastealubes.com/10W-40-10 ... -9994T.htm
Thank you for explaining all that for me.

Frank

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”