gl1500 oil filter change

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

gl1500 oil filter change

Postby brettchallenger » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:36 am

Again, thanks to WingAdmin for the really useful and clear, "how to" section on oil changing. I have one query; it advises that when refitting the oil filter, "a newly installed filter should be fitted only tight enough that it could still be removed by hand. You want it tight enough so that it doesn't leak, but not so tight that it would require the use of a wrench to remove it.". This is something I have always done in the past with cars etc, but the Honda owner's manual says that the filter should be tightened using a torque wrench to 10 Newtons (7lbf-ft). My present torque wrench range only starts at 28 newtons. Any thoughts? Is torquing down to this value really necessary or is it just Honda covering themselves?

Read more: viewtopic.php?t=10533#ixzz3W3GzRPOL

The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: gl1500 oil filter change

Postby dingdong » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:16 am

I have always used the 1/4 turn after seating method.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: gl1500 oil filter change

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:11 am

brettchallenger wrote:Again, thanks to WingAdmin for the really useful and clear, "how to" section on oil changing. I have one query; it advises that when refitting the oil filter, "a newly installed filter should be fitted only tight enough that it could still be removed by hand. You want it tight enough so that it doesn't leak, but not so tight that it would require the use of a wrench to remove it.". This is something I have always done in the past with cars etc, but the Honda owner's manual says that the filter should be tightened using a torque wrench to 10 Newtons (7lbf-ft). My present torque wrench range only starts at 28 newtons. Any thoughts? Is torquing down to this value really necessary or is it just Honda covering themselves?

I think they're just covering themselves - specifying the correct torque. If you've never changed an oil filter before and aren't really sure, then by all means use a torque wrench (although you'll need a very small one capable of measuring low amounts of torque). My rule of thumb has always been to tighten it by hand - not as tight as I could possibly get it, but definitely quite tight.

If you've done oil filters on cars, then you're in good shape - just do the GL1500 filter the exact same way.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”