1500 broken bolt fuel pump

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

1500 broken bolt fuel pump

Postby golden highway » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:35 pm

I purchased a new to me Goldwing 1500 and everything seemed fine until I filled it with gas. It started leaking gas onto the ground. I removed the seat to find one of the studs for the fuel pump broken off allowing gas to leak out. I guess I know why the bike only had a 1/4 tank of gas when I bought it. Any ideas on a repair?

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: 1500 broken bolt fuel pump

Postby ct1500 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:33 pm

The cover plate is very rigid and I would first see if installing a new gasket will seal it even without the one nut.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:49 pm

Will an everyday hardware metric bolt be okay to fill in the gap? Make sure you take one with you, so that you can compare like-with-like. This saves a couple of trips, like I used to do, as I am no good at estimating the size of bolt.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:51 am

That's a tough one. Normally I'd just drill it out and weld a replacement in place...but I'm not a huge fan of welding sparks right next to an open fuel tank.

After thinking about it for a few minutes, here's the technique I think I would use. First, empty the tank. Remove the sender/pump. Put something in the tank to catch any metal bits, then remove the broken stud. Drill a hole through the tank in the location of the broken stud. Put a bolt (same size/thread pitch) as the original stud into the hole, up from the inside of the tank so that the bolt head is inside the tank.

I would use some fuel-resistant neoprene or nitrile washers as gaskets. I would put a flat stainless fender washer on the bolt, followed by the fuel-resistant washer. Then put the bolt through the hole you drilled in the tank from the inside. On the top side, put another fuel-resistant washer, another stainless fender washer, then a thin nut to use to hold the bolt in place. Use thread lock on the bolt. The pump/sender mount would then fit over the threaded part of the bolt and a nut screwed into place, just as if it was the original stud. You might have to cut off the top of the threaded part of the bolt with a hacksaw or Dremel tool if it is too long.

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:41 am

I broke one off when I did my fuel pump a few years ago..
I covered the opening with a towel (the tank was near empty)
I drilled out the broken stud. And then I got a piece of threaded rod the same size and thread count (I don't remember the info on that)
I used JB Weld and replaced the stud - so far all is well but it's only been about 35,000 miles...
The key is to buy a new gasket anytime you open this hatch..the old ones get set and stiff and won't seal properly

Sorry for the poor quality pictures but it may help...

After repair -

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:47 am

Here is another picture post - repair
Notice the flange the bolts go through is elevated off the tank just a little bit and the bolts are tacked in place I think..
So drilling INTO the tank is not required ..

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Postby golden highway » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:40 pm

Since there was part of old bold sticking up I purchased a tee nut and cut the flange off so I just had a threaded cylinder. I screwed it on the remaining part of the bolt. I then cut the head off a bolt of the same thread and screwed it into the other end of the threaded cylinder. I put a few washers on the cylinder and bolt. It should screw down fine. I am waiting for my new gasket to arrive so I can get it put back together.

I am going to pull all the covers and do all the maintanance items, oil, plugs, filter Etc. I am afraid of what I am going to find but at least I will be able to ride knowing everything is correct.
Attachments

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”