Suggested web-sites for tires

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
jimsgoldwing
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500SE

Suggested web-sites for tires

Postby jimsgoldwing » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:05 pm

Time for the rear tire to be replaced. The local bike shop wants $185 bucks to change my tire and that’s with me bringing just the rim in! I know everyone will have an opinion about where to do on-line shopping, so thanks for your input! And yes, I run Dyna-Beads ;)

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Suggested web-sites for tires

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:56 pm

I have bought from "Motorcycle Superstore" in the past with very good results. Chaparral Motorsports also has a good selection and good prices. I think they both offer free shipping for orders over $100 or so.

www.chaparral-racing.com

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/

There are plenty of other options.. and probably as many opinions as to where you should buy a tire as there are opinions about motor oil LOL
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:05 pm

Cheapest place on-line to get a tire is either Jake Wilson, or its affiliate Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Both offer fast, free shipping/service

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:53 pm

jimsgoldwing wrote:Time for the rear tire to be replaced. The local bike shop wants $185 bucks to change my tire and that’s with me bringing just the rim in! I know everyone will have an opinion about where to do on-line shopping, so thanks for your input! And yes, I run Dyna-Beads ;)

The rip off here that calls itself a Honda dealer wanted $65 just to mount a tire for me and that price is ridiculous. That $185 has got to be the price of a tire and mounting which, depending on the tire, could be a pretty good deal.

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:37 pm

Just bought a front and rear from Rocky Mountain ATV. The price was good, but I wasn't thrilled with the 2012 and 2013 date stamps on the tires. I figure they'll be toast before I hit 6-7 years old. I was looking for something like a late 2014 date. I called them before ordering, and the guy on the phone said that most tires he sees go out are a year old, at least. So, I figured 2014, maybe late 2013. Well, he was right. They are more than a year old. He claims they are stored in a conditioned warehouse, and they looked OK (for what that's worth). Had the rear mounted at a local shop, not Honda, for $35. I brought them the wheel. Honda wanted $85 to do the whole job. I just didn't trust anyone to mess with the disassembly, and had other things to look at while in there. The shop I used had some sort of fancy balance machine for that. I have some balance beads, but am not sold on them yet. BTW, I ordered the tires online from Rocky Mountain on Thursday at 6pm. Got the tires on Saturday afternoon. Really quick. All is good, so far. After reading all sorts of comments in these forums, I went with the same OEM Dunlop K177's. Never had any problems with them, a little noise, not much, good wear, 13K until a nail took out the rear tire. They probably had another 5K in them, easily. Nobody else seems to like, or mention the K177's, but I figured I stick with what I know. The front, they said, they will mount for $25 when I need it.

Dusty Boots

Postby Dusty Boots » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:02 am

If it's the Dunlop K177s you ordered, no wonder they are rather dated. The E3s IMHO are a better tire, especially up front.
The front K177 is somewhat ribbed and likes to follow tar snakes and is affected by grated bridge surfaces, whereas the front E3 isn't.
The rear K177 isn't so bad and doesn't 'sing' like the rear E3 when it gets 3-4,000 mi on it.

I install my own tires

Dusty

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Postby minimac » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:00 am

Bluewaterhooker0 wrote:........ I figure they'll be toast before I hit 6-7 years old.

Even if you only ride 2K miles a year, at that rate you've more than gotten your money out of them.
I'd be afraid to ride on any tires that old. The sidewalls and tread would start to degrade even with zero miles on them by that time, especially when subjected to heat and humidity. But, I'm the guy that changes tires BEFORE they hit the wear bars. With only two small contact patches between me and possible injury(or worse), I want them to be good.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:15 am

What kind of tire machine is that, Dusty?

I wrestle mine on the rim with a couple of tire irons and frankly, I'm getting too old for that stuff... the last tire I put on was a STIFF side-walled rear tire on the GL1200, and it made me sore for three days after changing it. I had no idea I was that badly out of shape.

I looked (on-line) at the Harbor Freight bead breaker (that's the toughest part with spoons for me) but I don't know if I need it. I've used C-clamps to break beads in the past, but couldn't locate one big enough close to hand for the job.

I noticed they've got a tire changer and a motorcycle tire attachment you can add on. I didn't know if you have to buy the one in order to use the MC tire attachment, or if I could skip the "base" unit and get the MC tire part only...

Sorry to hi-jack the thread...

Dusty Boots wrote:If it's the Dunlop K177s you ordered, no wonder they are rather dated. The E3s IMHO are a better tire, especially up front.
The front K177 is somewhat ribbed and likes to follow tar snakes and is affected by grated bridge surfaces, whereas the front E3 isn't.
The rear K177 isn't so bad and doesn't 'sing' like the rear E3 when it gets 3-4,000 mi on it.

I install my own tires

5537229794_d809cfec9b_z.jpg

Dusty
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

jimsgoldwing

Postby jimsgoldwing » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:19 am

The rip off here that calls itself a Honda dealer wanted $65 just to mount a tire for me and that price is ridiculous. That $185 has got to be the price of a tire and mounting which, depending on the tire, could be a pretty good deal.

Not sure of the brand, some off-the-wall name, if I remember. But it is a bias tire. As far as putting a tire that is two years old on my bike, I am not too concerned about that because I can put more than 1000 miles a month on them (50 miles one-way to work ;). When I bought the bike two years ago, it had 14K miles, now its just over 30K.

Dusty Boots

Postby Dusty Boots » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:29 am

I use the HF tire changer with motorcycle wheel attachment.
I bought them a number of yrs ago, when they were both on sale. (less than $75 total) and the local dealer at that time was wanting $50/tire for mounting/balancing.
I bought the HF wheel balancing stand when it was on sale as well with a 20% off coupon, like I did with the changer and MC attachment

I did a few mods adding my own 'mojo blocks' and use a No-Scuff tire tool

I normally go through at least a set of tires a season, so the outlay soon paid for itself after 1 year

guitarzan
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Postby guitarzan » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:06 pm

I ordered a Bead Buster for 99 bucks I called the place up and told the guy I had a Goldwing SE 1500 and he said he was getting quite a few calls for them and that I should order the BX-450. I ordered it a couple of days ago and I cant wait to get the thing. Sorry to say at may age, but I'm excited as all get out to get it.

www.beadbuster.com

Thanks
Frank

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:45 pm

Bought my Avon Venoms thru motorcycle superstore. The rear tire was about 10 months old but the front tire was 2 yrs old. If I hadn't already paid to have the tire mounted I would have sent it back. So be careful and check what date code they send you.

There is a very simple way for breaking the bead on a motorcycle or car tire. I will try to find a youtube video of it later and post up a link. I was hoping to buy same HF setup and start doing my tires too! My favorite local dealer now wants $50 per tire for mounting. They charge extra if your tire had slime or dyna beads (I guess for making a mess in there shop). Last time I was in there they didn't have 90 degree valves so my front still has an old one (well not too old I hope). Truth is they make there money selling ATV's/quads. There shop seems always busy. So I guess they are going to charge more for mountings.

Dusty where did you get your mojo blocks? Are those delrin that you shaped yourself? They looking good. :D
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Dusty Boots

Postby Dusty Boots » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:28 pm

Yes, I made my own as I bought a package of UHMW plastic quite some time ago when it was on sale and made them.

Handy stuff to have around. I also milled some down to 1/4" thickness to place under the slipper spring shackles on my HF cargo trailer I made, to silence the springs of any rattles. Works great and is easy to mill.

Dusty Boots

Postby Dusty Boots » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:15 am

I see that HF has both the manual tire changer (with bead breaker) and the motorcycle wheel attachment on sale currently for $39.99 each, where they are regularly $79.99 each.
Print off a couple of 20% off coupons and they are even cheaper @ $31.99 each,for a total of $63.98 plus taxes for the pair .... or, just over the cost of getting 1 tire changed!!! ;)

guitarzan
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Postby guitarzan » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:15 am

Is it true, ya get what ya pay for? I don't know about HF stuff, is any good?

Dusty Boots

Postby Dusty Boots » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:14 pm

guitarzan wrote:Is it true, ya get what ya pay for? I don't know about HF stuff, is any good?

For an investment of under $175 that you may use twice a year?

Do a You Tube search on HF tire changer and no-scuff tire bar and decide for yourself?

Or ... continue to pay $100 to get a pair of tires changed over when you take them the rims n tires.
If you are a low mileage owner where a tire will last you 3, 4 or even 5 years and have to get them changed out because of rot, then no, it's not worth it, but if you're a rider who wears out your tires once, or twice a year, then IMHO, the value and savings can't be beat

jimsgoldwing

Postby jimsgoldwing » Mon May 11, 2015 1:00 pm

Finally got the rear tire changed. He charged me $25 bucks to change the tire and $0 bucks for the DynaBeads. He vacuumed them out and 'will recycle' them into someone else's tire! Grand total was $200.50 and they are Bridgestone tires.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”