Intercom noise

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Al Lenz
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500A Aspencade

Intercom noise

Postby Al Lenz » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:06 pm

For Christmas last year we got matching helmets and headsets that use the stock 5 pin plug. With the nice weather the last couple of weekends we finally got the chance to try them out. I thought that the intercom mic would be voice activated and filter out the road and wind noise, but it doesn't which makes it hard to hear the radio and each other. Did I get too cheap when I bought the headsets or is there an adjustment I'm missing or not finding? I bought the ones I did because I wanted to keep it as simple as possible. I do not want to talk on my phone while riding and I can't stand the sound of the gps in the car much less on the bike!

mikelens
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500

Re: Intercom noise

Postby mikelens » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:29 am

Last year I shopped by price as well; didn't need all the bells & whistles as well as I wasn't sure if the better half was going to get into riding. I got the J & M performance series when they had a sale. It took a little wiggling of 25 yr old connectors on the bike but got them working just fine. Used the mid size foam cover for the mic & adjusted the IC volume control on the bike. I prefer to play the radio thru the speakers & headsets for the IC only. No noise even at highway speeds.

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Postby joeincalif » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:28 am

If your hearing wind noise lower the intercom volume. or look at these
http://www.mic-mutes.com/
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:34 am

change the wind sock, or add another layer to the one you have..like an old sock to test if that's the issue..or just turn the IC off & turn and on when you want to talk???

What kind of helmets?? modular, 1/2 shell, full face face????
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Al Lenz

Postby Al Lenz » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:36 am

Turning the volume down helped lower the background noise, but then we are yelling to hear each other which we could do before. The kits suggested cost more than the headsets so that rules that out. I think my next move is to find bigger foam covers for the mics.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:02 pm

Al Lenz wrote:For Christmas last year we got matching helmets and headsets that use the stock 5 pin plug. With the nice weather the last couple of weekends we finally got the chance to try them out. I thought that the intercom mic would be voice activated and filter out the road and wind noise, but it doesn't which makes it hard to hear the radio and each other. Did I get too cheap when I bought the headsets or is there an adjustment I'm missing or not finding? I bought the ones I did because I wanted to keep it as simple as possible. I do not want to talk on my phone while riding and I can't stand the sound of the gps in the car much less on the bike!

This is how the intercom works. It is absolutely beyond me why Honda, even after all these years, does not have voice activation/muting on their intercom.

Al Lenz

Postby Al Lenz » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:20 pm

Well, I cut up a clean old sock and wrapped the mics. If the rain lets up a bit over the weekend we'll give it a try. Stay tuned for results!!

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”