Snapped of stud while tightening fuel pump.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1989 gl 1500 aspencade

Snapped of stud while tightening fuel pump.

Postby rob7189 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:13 pm

Help! While tightening the nuts on the fuel pump on a 89 GL 1500 i must have over tightend and snapped off the stud. Does anyone have a good idea to fix this problem other than removing the tank and rewelding the stud. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Re: Snapped of stud while tightening fuel pump.

Postby BCGoldwing » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:15 pm

Hi rob7189,

There is hope.

I just did the same thing. I broke off a bolt in my engine block and had to split them and extract the broken bolt.

If your lucky, and there is a piece sticking out, you might be able to use some needle nose pliers and carefully twist it out.

I was not so lucky, here is what I had to do.

I bought a center punch and a drill-out from Canadian Tire ($30). Most hardware stores have similar items call broken bolt extractors.

First, I used the center punch and punched a small hole in the top center of the screw. (to help drill in the center)
Then I used the 'drill-out' and a variable speed drill to drill into (in reverse) and extract the broken bolt. Drilling into the center of the bolt is very important. You don't want to damage the walls, otherwise you will have to tap out new threads...

Note: There are also some 'left handed drill bits'. They turn (and cut) counter clockwise. The idea is, while slowly drilling (in reverse) into the broken bolt, it will bind, torque up, and unscrew the bolt. The problem I had with mine was that the bolt was made of a strong metal and they wouldn't cut into it.

The drill-out cut into the bolt no problem and allowed me to make adjustments to keep it centered. An amazing tool.

Just go slow, read/watch the instructions for the 'bolt extractor' tool you choose, and keep removing the metal filings frequently. A magnet is useful for this.

Or, if you have a machine shop nearby, they can probably get it out for you. But that is an expensive route. $90/hr here.

Good luck. Take your time and make sure you understand how to use the tool before you start! I only say this because the drill-out I used needed to be operated a certain way. Speed, size, adjustments, cleaning, etc,etc...

You can do it. Just take your time.

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:40 am

If you have a welder (or a friend with one) handy, you can weld a bolt to the remains of the stud, then use the bolt to back the stud out.

Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:10 pm

Rob, I assume you are talking about the studs on top of the tank that protrude through the lid of the fuel tank and that hold that lid secured to the tank. There really is no reason to exert such torque on the lid securing studs. There is a rubber seal that seals the tank and it doesn't take that much torque to seat the seal.

That being said, you have several options. you can replace the tank with one from Ebay. There are several there now and one that I saw has a Buy It Now price of $19.99. Very reasonable.

You can rent what is called a Stud Gun, it is used to weld studs to any steel surface. We use one at work all the time.

You can grind the surface flush where you snapped off the stud, drill a hole in the tank and weld or braze the bolt in place.

Whatever you do, do not do any work on the tank while it still has fuel fumes in it, it just may turn night into day at your place. Fire or sparks will ignite fuel vapors and be harmful or fatal. Whatever you do, be cautious.

Tacoma, WA, USA

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”