New windscreen

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

New windscreen

Postby Uncle Fester » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:59 pm

Hey all, I got my new windscreen in today, a Wind-Bender from Firecreek Accessories . I have not got to ride with it yet, but love the way it looks on the bike ! :)

I took a TULSA +4 off my bike, I think it was a +4 anyway. It is 35" tall from very bottom to very top of the screen OFF THE BIKE. It is still in usable shape, some scratches, and normal wear, so I am making a offer. . . . . I will give it FOR FREE to anyone who is willing to ride to Oklahoma City and pick it up.

So , if you have wondered if a +4 windscreen was for you, here is your chance to find out, for free ! Just to be 100% clear, this came off my 1996 GL1500 Aspencade, so it fits from 1988 to 2000 1500s, and it is yours for free, IF you come get it. The only other requirement is. . . you have to pay it forward at some time.

The windscreen measures 35" tall at the tallest point, and 31" wide at the widest point. It also has a factory style vent in it.

P.S.

I am even willing to help swap it out when you are here, not that it is very hard to swap out . . .

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Re: New windscreen

Postby bstig60 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:49 pm

Glad you got the new shield installed. I just got a chance to take my Optic Armor on a 300 mile ride this past weekend. I wrote up a little review on it. Better protection than the stock one on the 99 and better than the slipstreamer +4 I had on the 88.
Bill

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:19 am

I did a 450-500 mile ride for lunch with my brother , but did not have the new screen yet so will be a short ride review once I get some repair work done and the weather dries out some. . . . I ride in the rain, but that is not really the best way to test a new screen for wind protection, but I will post that info too IF/WHE that happens too.
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:11 pm

Took the bike out for about a 25 mile ride today, some city and some interstate....so far I am NOT impressed! I will do some adjustments and see if that helps, but it was OK on the interstate but not so much in town. Has a real bad curve right in my line of sight that distorts my vision to the point of unsafe in my opinion. I am at a truck stop outside of town right now, so I will lower the screen some and see how that does.

Will keep you posted

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:33 pm

Okay, made a few adjustments, came home via the interstate, wife says much less buffeting back there. She no longer feels she is in a fight with Tyson, so that is good. Wih the lower position, the distortion is down far enough now I almost do not notice it, so that is good. I think I might be getting NEAR the sweet spot. One thing I have noticed, the breeze still lifts my ballcap. . . . .

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:08 pm

A bit more adjusting, up again, and this shield is starting yo work for both of us now. The wind over the top still cools my hair, but no longer lifts my cap. The wife is still fairly happy, more breeze than she likes, but not knocked around by Mike Tyson any more, so we shall see.

This windscreen has so many adjustments you can make it will take a bit to get dialed in, but I think it will be worth it in the long run.

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:08 am

I came close to buying one when the new owner had them on sale (2011?), but was afraid of spending that amount of coin only to find the 2 wide mounting/adjustment bars to be too much of a distraction with them being in my sight line/peripheral field of vision

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:22 am

The slide bars are not a issue at all for me. . . .

Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500/6 with Watsonian Oxford sidecar

Postby Sidcar » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:00 am

Please keep us posted. I've been looking at the windbender but they're not cheap before you add on shipping and customs duty so it's going to need to be good.
I take it you didn't go for the electric option.

Sid

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:35 am

Electric option was not in the budget, and I am starting to wonder if the wifes issues are not caused by her being so very short. I come in at 6'2" tall and 300lbs, she is 4'8" tall and much lighter. . . Putting her head where most ladies / passengers backs would be. Not sure yet, will have to talk to Dale this week about that.
On that note Dale ( owner of Firecreek acessories & Wind Bender windscreens ) and cyclemax.com where I bought this screen from have both been great to work with.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:32 pm

Uncle Fester wrote:Electric option was not in the budget, and I am starting to wonder if the wifes issues are not caused by her being so very short. I come in at 6'2" tall and 300lbs, she is 4'8" tall and much lighter. . . Putting her head where most ladies / passengers backs would be. Not sure yet, will have to talk to Dale this week about that.
On that note Dale ( owner of Firecreek acessories & Wind Bender windscreens ) and cyclemax.com where I bought this screen from have both been great to work with.

Wow, 6'2" and 4'8"!! How does that work??? You've got a full foot and a half on her! My wife is 5'2" and I'm 6'0" and I thought that was pretty much at the limits (I can rest my chin on the top of her head).

As for it affecting the buffeting, I suppose that's a possibility. Particularly you being tall, curving the wind up over you and directly down into the back of her.

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:38 pm

Your ballcap won't blow off if you hold it on with the strap from your helmet... :o
Ya ya ..I know... Safety Police ... be careful out there... :mrgreen:
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:07 pm

That was the same thing that I thought when I read it. Maybe someday he will understand.
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:06 pm

Getting closer guys, bought a half helmet today. . . :D

Do wish I could find a full face that fit my big head, but no luck yet, too fat in the cheeks. :?

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”