Power loss in heavy rain

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
The Wolf
Motorcycle: 2013 1800 /Roadsmith Trike
1995 1500 Aspencade

Power loss in heavy rain

Postby The Wolf » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:14 pm

Just got back from 40 to Phoenix, driving 1995 1500 Aspencade, it ran fine all the time except for heavy rain, then it lost power. I finally figured out I could give it about full choke for 15 seconds turn off the choke and the bike would run ok for 2-3 miles then start slowing down again. It it was a light rain no problem. Once the rain stopped the bike ran ok the rest of the time. I was told it was probably water in the gas, but I got a gas treatment from the Honda shop that would remove any water. I used it during my second rain ride but it didn't help. I'm checking the carberators now and it looks like the left side has oily/gas on the vacuum slide and around the top. I also had water etc from the crankcase breather but the manual says this is normal if running at full throttle or in lots of rain. I've yet to drain the storage tank mentioned in the manual. So not sure what I'll find when I remove the carberators but I'm thinking they're ok.
If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thanks for any help. No rain no problem!

The Wolf in Ridgely!

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: Power loss in heavy rain

Postby redial » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:21 am

Check your plugs, wires, caps, and the ECM. It sounds like you had water build up in the electrical. I would do this easy thing first, before attacking the carbs.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:22 am

Lean fuel/air mixtures require a strong spark to ignite them.

The #1 problem caused by rain is weak (or no) ignition due to leaky (cracked) wires or insulators. This drains off some of the charge, routing it to ground instead of letting the charge spark across the spark plug gap. Once it dried up, your problem went away - which pretty much eliminates water in the fuel as an issue.

Try hosing down your plugs and spark plug wires and taking it for a ride to see if the problem reoccurs.

I would focus on the ignition system before even thinking about touching the carbs.

The Wolf
Motorcycle: 2013 1800 /Roadsmith Trike
1995 1500 Aspencade

Postby The Wolf » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:32 pm

That doesn't explain why it would keep running after I did full choke then release the choke and it ran fine for 2-3 miles. My crankcase breather tube did have lots of water in it. Thatight be part of problem.
The Wolf in Ridgely!

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:34 pm

The Wolf wrote:That doesn't explain why it would keep running after I did full choke then release the choke and it ran fine for 2-3 miles. My crankcase breather tube did have lots of water in it. Thatight be part of problem.

Check for bad gaskets/seals, unattached hoses in and around air box. Check drain hoses for water. Running bike when hot and applying lots of choke is not good for the slide diaphragms.

This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”