A little help for my timing belt change

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
metalsmith
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A Aspencade

A little help for my timing belt change

Postby metalsmith » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:22 pm

I swapped out the timing belts on the 1500 yesterday. I had done the job on the 1200 without too much excitement years ago, but before I started on the 1500 I came up with an 'extra set of hands.'

I made up a fixture to hold the cam shaft nuts in alignment as I went about the belt change operation. Made out of basic stuff like carriage bolts, sockets, thin wall conduit, a piece of strap and some u-bolts.

I put the new belts on the tool, mounted it to the frame, locked down the cam nuts and went to work. It went without a hitch. Fed the old belts through the new ones and set the new ones up prior to taking the fixture off. I set the belt tensioners after I took the tool off. Held everything in alignment very well.

Got the project done and started this machine up for the first time since it got here last fall !! Made me smile, it did.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: A little help for my timing belt change

Postby redial » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:17 am

Is there a competition between you and Little Beaver to see who can come up with the best aid for GW maintenance? That looks easy enough for me to do, even.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Rob H
Motorcycle: 2000 1500 SE, XR 650, CBR 600, Harley FB, KLR 650, CBX 750 Cafe Racer, Z1000 Eddie Lawson.

Postby Rob H » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:17 am

Very clever! :P :P. I Assume the sockets are held in place by the force of the tube over them if I am seeing correctly?

metalsmith

Postby metalsmith » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:06 pm

Rob, you're right on the sockets. I left the two socket assemblies loose until I had the strap mounted to the frame. Then just tighten the nut on each socket assy to keep them from turning. The stepped-down sockets I found were a good fit inside the conduit sleeves. The square portion of the carriage-bolt locks into the 1/4" drive of the socket (the heads were turned on the lathe to fit inside the sockets) and keeps it from turning as the nut is tightened.

metalsmith

Postby metalsmith » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:14 pm

Redial,
I don't know about the competition....hope there's a money prize....or maybe a new Goldwing!! ;)

This could likely be a solution to a non-existent problem, but it took all the worry out of the project for me. Everything was lined up perfectly on this bike when I checked it and the fixture kept it that way. When I did the 1200 that was not the case (one side was off one tooth) so I don't know if this thing would have been in the way of getting that straightened out or not. And I don't remember well enough.....I don't know if the same type thing would have even been usable on the 1200 job.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Fri May 01, 2015 10:22 am

I like it, I think it's very creative .... :D

metalsmith

Postby metalsmith » Fri May 01, 2015 11:13 am

One of the experts on another site informed me "this tool is a total waste of time/concept/internet lore on the 1500"
He states that on the six cylinders the cams will not roll-over like the 4's.

So I will take this opportunity to apologize for wasting everyone's time and I'll work on doing my research before posting such useless info ;)

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Fri May 01, 2015 11:24 am

Yeah, don't let someone get you down man,,, I like it .....Something new and creative, those are pro's saying that crap....They will butcher your idea's man.... I am telling you... They are jealous......lol :D don't let this get you down friend....What would I do different, maybe put a nut on the back side of the socket to insure that socket does move, maybe a flat washer and a lock washer too... there done it's perfect... :lol: Looks good man.... Need more photo's of it.... does it do both sides, need photo's

metalsmith

Postby metalsmith » Fri May 01, 2015 11:53 am

littlebeaver wrote:Yeah, don't let someone get you down man,,, I like it .....Something new and creative, those are pro's saying that crap....They will butcher your idea's man.... I am telling you... They are jealous......lol :D don't let this get you down friend....What would I do different, maybe put a nut on the back side of the socket to insure that socket does move, maybe a flat washer and a lock washer too... there done it's perfect... :lol: Looks good man.... Need more photo's of it.... does it do both sides, need photo's

I'm not having any heartburn about this :D
The 1500 project is new to me this year and I don't have any experience with them at all (other than peeling it down to for maint.) I am well aware that everyone out there running one of these (1500) has more hours logged than I do. We have not even ridden one yet!!

My tail has been stepped on a time or two, but not around here. When I'm learning something new I don't sweat the small stuff :lol:

pumpkinhead10a
Motorcycle: 1991 Honda Goldwing gl 1500se with 51,000 mi

Postby pumpkinhead10a » Fri May 01, 2015 1:13 pm

I for one will be using your idea when I change my belts next week..so thanks for sharing! Seems like a good idea not to use. Wish you all the best with your 1500 as I like mine just wish I could drive it more and farther. :P
Last edited by pumpkinhead10a on Fri May 01, 2015 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob H
Motorcycle: 2000 1500 SE, XR 650, CBR 600, Harley FB, KLR 650, CBX 750 Cafe Racer, Z1000 Eddie Lawson.

Postby Rob H » Fri May 01, 2015 1:18 pm

I think it's brilliant! :P

wheeljam
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200 interstate

Postby wheeljam » Fri May 01, 2015 2:17 pm

Don't let the "pro's" get ya down. They ain't always right. What I want to know is if this setup will work for 1200, I need to do that on mine. I am new to the mechanics of a bike, but I wanna learn. I would like to see some more pics of the setup and how to use it. I should be able to modify it to the 1200 with some more pics, and a little instruction.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue May 05, 2015 10:57 am

metalsmith wrote:One of the experts on another site informed me "this tool is a total waste of time/concept/internet lore on the 1500"
He states that on the six cylinders the cams will not roll-over like the 4's.

So I will take this opportunity to apologize for wasting everyone's time and I'll work on doing my research before posting such useless info ;)

And he would be wrong. :) I absolutely had my right cam roll over on my GL1500 when I pulled the belt off. Your tool would prevent that entirely.

pumpkinhead10a
Motorcycle: 1991 Honda Goldwing gl 1500se with 51,000 mi

Postby pumpkinhead10a » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:25 am

Changed my belts and it was easy as hell....really surprising how easy it was ..just followed the directions in the forms and it took no time to do... harder to take the Tupperware off than to do the job, so thanks. :D

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Postby Dogsled » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:08 pm

I did mine without any tools. The issue that everyone seemed to have had was they didn't know the pulley was gonna move (in the beginning). Now we know. 2 pulley alignment marks are all I used and everything was back to specs.
If you understand the mechanics of what you're doing it should be easliy compensated for and the jig seems a bit extreme. If you truly don't have the knowhow of what you're doing and have to rely on a jig (that you may or may not install properly).....then you may need help from a pro..........let me ask you this, with the sure fire jig, would you bother to turn the engine over manually to make sure nothing was hitting after the new belt was installed or would you just assume this jig was the sure fire answer to all your problems. Not everyone understands the logic of the mis-alignment and what it will do if you do it wrong. Knowledge over jigs EVERYTIME.
"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

lamasue
Motorcycle: 2000 1500se

Postby lamasue » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:16 pm

Couldnt you put a small wedge. Behind cam pulleys so they stay in relative spot where they are

aj1500
Motorcycle: 97 1500 SE
Motorvation II sidecar
Double Dark Side # 1522
USCA# 8913
Goodyear Fuel max 175/60 R16
Bridgestone Battlax 130/70 18

Postby aj1500 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:42 am

just weighing in
I have done a couple 1200 and a couple 1500 belt changes, I will say the 1500 cam will turn a little when the belt is released, not as much as the 1200 but it will move. I did all without the use of any special tools. I do see the purpose as it will hold the pulley in place while you install the belt, this would be easier than holding the pulley using a wrench or socket in one hand while putting the belt on with the other. however the first 1200 I did I had looked up and found a step by step that shows using a offset wrench and a wire tie to hold the wrench and pulley still. I think either method is a good way to hold things in place. for the new to this type of mechanical work I say Bravo for coming up with ways to do the job and not be concerned you will make a mistake. as you get more familiar you will most likely find some of these special tools are not needed, or you will always prefer to use them
Dogsled did have a good point as far as not relying on it totally and not testing your repair when done before starting the bike, BUT that is a different step from the actual belt change itself and has nothing to do with the use or not use of any tools.

I would not use a wedge behind the pulley as you could bend it

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Postby Dogsled » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:40 pm

Maybe I didn't explain it well. If you truly understand what it is you're holding with the jig and how to test it then go ahead and make one. But if you understand the principals of what you are doing and the short time you are going to have to hold this pully, unless you're a mechanic doing it every day the jigs not needed.

My main point was that this is something that could wipe your engine out if you don't know what you're doing. Because there is a 10 step procedure in the how to doesn't mean it's feasible to try it without full knowledge of what your doing. If you don't have full knowledge of what timing belt does, why it jumps back a little when the belt comes off and how it installs, how are you sure you even installed/made the jig correctly. .........

"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”