New brake pads

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

New brake pads

Postby Uncle Fester » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:02 am

I am getting ready to do the front right pads on my bike as I get a light growling noise when they are used, nothing when rear / left front is used , noise that is, so this go around will just be a fast change of the front right.

Anyway, when I do all the brakes again near the end of riding season, what pads have you guys had the best luck with ? I am looking for long life AND increased stopping power. I do not tow a trailer at this time, but I am a big boy, between me and the wife and our normal gear, we probably have 450 pounds on the bike. . . . My riding is split about 50/50 between city and highway, I also average around 30K miles a year.

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: New brake pads

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:04 am

I've tried quite a few different ones, and I have come back to OEM Honda. They're the best combination of longevity, stopping power/lack of fade, and minimum amount of dust.

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Re: New brake pads

Postby Uncle Fester » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:10 am

Sounds good, I will look into the cost of them. The ones I used last time, and the ones I got for this replacement are URBAN BREAKING (?) and worked ok, but not as good as I think they should have. Never felt like they where weak, and never left me "seat grabbin with the cheeks", just not up to my idea of what they should be.
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”