Reinstalling bags (yikes) after lifting them to remove rear wheel

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
fnickel
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500SE

Reinstalling bags (yikes) after lifting them to remove rear wheel

Postby fnickel » Sat May 02, 2015 6:45 pm

Thought I would try this method over winter to check the splines on my '92 1500SE. I've only owned it 2 years, and I can't seem to wear out the rear tire. Didn't know if previous owners had ever greased the splines, so it was time to check them. Everything went fine, except for the reinstalling problem of getting the holes in the various brackets lined up to install the bolts through the front of the side bags to lock it all together. I don't think I will use this method again, although it gives great access to the rear wheel, brakes and all components. I don't have another helper's pair of hands, except for my wife's and she is trying, but it's not the easiest thing to do. I'm finding it almost impossible to get the holes all lined up so that I can get the bolt threads started. Does anyone have any tricks up their sleeve? Which side of the crash bar piece should the forked bracket be on. On mine, the one side naturally goes to the outboard side, and the other naturally goes to the inboard side. Is that normal? I'm finding it very difficult to change either side to be the same as the other. I'm almost working blind, but shining a light and using a mechanic's mirror is sometimes helping. A brain wave I had overnight was to use a longer bolt or pin that is slightly smaller that the nut I'm trying to thread into, lining everything up with that, pulling it out while trying to hold everything in place, and then quickly getting the bolt in there. Has anyone tried this? On my first attempt, I tried having the crash bar lined up and tight so that I only had to get the forked bracket in place, but that didn't work. Something always moved out of place and scuttled my attempt. Is it better to leave the crash bar loose and then try moving all the pieces around to get them lined up? Maybe my pin trick above will help that to work better. In the depths of despair last night, and soaked in sweat, I envisioned myself not being able to ride this year because of not being able to get the bags back in place and tightened down. Any suggestions appreciated. Oh, by the way, the splines were nicely greased, so the work was not necessary, but reassuring until next time the tire gets replaced.

baumedagn
Motorcycle: 2012
GL1800HPNM

Re: Reinstalling bags (yikes) after lifting them to remove rear wheel

Postby baumedagn » Sun May 03, 2015 6:18 am

I used the same method on my 1500. Only took about 30 minutes to get the tire off of the bike. Putting it back together was another story. After 3 or 4 days of fooling with it after work, I gave up and took the bags off. I had everything back together in a couple of hours. If memory serves, the fork part goes to the outside. Good luck.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sun May 03, 2015 8:17 am

I guess it the luck of the draw. Mine went back on with little effort..the only issue I had was getting them to seat back down in place. I had to push some on the right saddlebag frame/bag to get it to pop back into the bike frame at the front of the bag. Otherwise it all lined up and was easy to bolt back together..sure yours has seated all the way down and into place. So is not binding on something.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sun May 03, 2015 9:43 am

baumedagn wrote:I used the same method on my 1500. Only took about 30 minutes to get the tire off of the bike. Putting it back together was another story. After 3 or 4 days of fooling with it after work, I gave up and took the bags off. I had everything back together in a couple of hours. If memory serves, the fork part goes to the outside. Good luck.

My problem exactly. Never again, so no need to ever worry about it.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

fnickel

Postby fnickel » Sun May 03, 2015 2:26 pm

I had almost forgot about the other option, of taking the bags off to get good access and some visibility. I am going to give it one more attempt using a pin of some type to line it all up before trying to get the bolt in. If that doesn't work rather quickly and efficiently, I'm going to go your route and take the bags off. Thanks for the suggestion. For Honda's information, a larger access hole would have been a big help. Probably not part of their consideration, though, as manufacturers think mostly about initial assembly line efficiencies. Service and maintenance accessibility are often a secondary consideration.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sun May 03, 2015 4:08 pm

Designers and engineers hate mechanics at least it seems that way!!
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

fnickel

Postby fnickel » Fri May 08, 2015 9:49 pm

I tried once more, but there was no way the bracket holes would line up on the LH side, so I took the bags off. Now I could tell why. The crash bar holes wouldn't line up because the crash bar was slightly bent. I had to bend it slightly to get the right pitch between the 2 mounting holes. It made sense, because the LH bag was cracked on the bottom and the crash bar was slightly bent. The bike must have tipped over on the LH side at some point. The brackets and the crash bar must have been under some tension before I pulled the bolts out, and then when I went to try to line it all up, there is no way it would work working blindly through the access hole in the side bag. Once the bags were off, I was able to make it fit and re-install the bolts. I will not attempt this method again of lifting the rear bags as a unit to remove the wheel. Much easier to remove the bags first.

For anyone trying to decide if they should use the lifting method, check the bottoms of the side bags and the crash bars for any damage, cracking or abrasion. If you see any of those, you may have trouble getting them back together using this method because some of these components might be slightly bent. I would advise you rather to remove the bags to get access to the rear wheel or any rear end components for repairs or maintenance.

Wingryder1
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda Gl1500 SE three older goldwings, and a host of other cycles going clear back to High School with a 58 Cushman Eagle.

Postby Wingryder1 » Fri May 08, 2015 10:55 pm

I know when you lift the complete rear assembly clear off the bike.. (which for me is the easiest) you leave those side bolts in and leave them as loose as possible and still stay threaded. Then the forked frame just slides over the bolt. I think I also loosened the rear crash bars so they could
float around a bit. Been a while so a little muddy. I do remember something "forked" sliding over those lower side bolts.

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Phantom Gray

Postby Andy Cote » Tue May 12, 2015 11:46 am

So I have used this approach a couple times. I have a trailer hitch which actually makes this method a bit easier. I can gently lift on the hitch with a floor jack to check things as I go up. Once its up a few inches I use a jack stand to watch. The bolts have to be all the way out to clear the bags as they go up so the forked ends don't provide a big advantage. Once I am sure all is clear, I can lift it up and use a four to five foot long 2x4 under the hitch until I get it roped off to the ceiling.

You should pull the passenger boards and loosen or even remove the other crash bar bolt.

I did clean up the forked ends with a file and painted them white. I also bought two socket head cap screws a little bit longer than the stock bolts. Both of these things along with using the line-up pin help.

The other thing that helped is to lift the bags a little. So going back together with the floor jack under the hitch and also another bike jack or floor jack under the forward end of the bags. Just enough to take some weight off. Get the bolt started on one side and then do the other side. Make sure you get the other bolts started for the crash bars and then tighten away. The cap screws with a 3/8 socket driver are the trick. Trying to get a conventional socket and a mirror and a light all in the same hole didn't work so well for me. Longer is okay as there is plenty of clearance on the backside and helps you wiggle everything together.

There is a tabon top that joins forward inner fender and aft inner fender. Make sure you pop this back in place.

DARKSIDE #1500
88 GL1500, Phantom Gray Metallic, double darkside
97 Valkyrie, red/white
Previously, GL1200 (2), many other Hondas and one Kawasaki
Ham Extra Class, AC1R

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”