96 GL1500i Air shock

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
jjsohio
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500I

96 GL1500i Air shock

Postby jjsohio » Mon May 11, 2015 2:44 pm

Over the weekend I stopped at the local tire place and added air to tires.
Figured it was a good time to also check the rear shock psi.
Put my pressure gauge onto the fitting and get blasted by a spray of oil...
when the oil spray stopped, I have no pressure reading (gauge does work).

I then proceeded to add a couple pounds to rear shock.
Watched the back end lift up while adding air.
Stop adding air and watch the back end go back down.
Of course I thought that was odd, so I did it again.
And of course up it went, then back down.

So, couple things I am uncertain about...
It sure seems as if there must be a leak int the shock since it lowered back down when the air source was removed.
But if its not holding pressure, why the blast of oil?

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: 96 GL1500i Air shock

Postby RoadRogue » Mon May 11, 2015 3:18 pm

I would think that it was holding air, when you first checked the pressure the oil contaminated the shrader valve and is holding it open. Do you hear air escaping from the valve when you stop filling it? Could you have put way too much air in the first time and have blown the seal out? Its a small chamber and would take very little time to overfill with a garage style compressor. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Mon May 11, 2015 4:42 pm

Keep it up on the center stand when taking or adjusting air pressures and when letting air out do it slowly.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Postby Dogsled » Mon May 11, 2015 7:18 pm

You blew the seals out and gotta rebuild it. I use a hand pump to put air in and it is more by feel than how much pressure is in it. It's very easy to rebuild the shock......don't be a **** and toss it cause the OEM and everybody else says theres no rebuild kit for it. I toosed mine and had to buy a new/eusd one. Someone on this sight saved me and told me to go cyclmaxes earlier year 1500's and get the seal kit......they're all the same. AND THEY ARE I have an SE converted over to manual fill. Rebuilt it last year and still haven't needed to add air......that's how well it holds. It' is super easy to pull the shock after the bag is off. I think the rebuild directions are on this sight. I used ATF fluid and have had no problems. New o-rings and fluid/ install add air as needed........promise.....it'll ride better than before with the proper fluid amount in it. I think over the years the fluid naturally bypasses the o-rings and you add air. So you have a non spece'd ratio of air/oil equalling the wrong ride feel. I did it....I know. My bike handles like a dream now. AND thank to whoever told me older wings still sell the rebuild parts.

FUNNY how on the newer 1500's they have NO rebuild parts for the exact same shock........
"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

gordonv
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
1999 GL1500CF
1982 GL1100A

Postby gordonv » Mon May 11, 2015 8:47 pm

I went looking for the rebuild kit at cyclmax, but all I found was a new boot. Any link to it? Mines fine right now, but my boot is torn, and figured if I was going to remove the one, I might as well rebuild it all, if it isn't too expensive.

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Mon May 11, 2015 9:49 pm

where did you go to look for this. I'm talking about going to the OEM parts......

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com ... K-ABSORBER

I got part;
7 ?????????????
7 ???????????? both of the 7 keepers are clamps, I think I reused mine you'll see when take it apart....they're prolly good
13 ???????????? this is the factory boot.....I bought one from O'Reillys....a stock boot.....I'll see if I can find the number and brand....somebody here told me and it
was long so I had to cut it......it's just a boot......don't grind your brain over anything you can find that fits....get it together without oil and tak it to one of the bigger part stores and they'll get your diameters close....cut to fit for 5 or 6 bucks. I vary rarely keep part numbers or document anything......cause I just do it. Oh well

It won't cost that much, but if you blew oil, you blew the seals........ make sure you don't blow money on those #7's metal clamp rings

fill the oil according to specs.....I don't remember them but they must have been easy to find if I didn't write them down..............

Oh yeah you can buy the bushings:
#10 2 of them....I bought them......I couldn't get them in, maybe impatience but I cut away some edge material to beat them in (Hey, they're in!!!) If you have a tight fit here now, don't buy them......
Don't order anything til you see what you need........don't waste a penny. Cyclemax is real fast getting this stuff to you, so mull on what you need......
Once I got my shock off and was waiting for the seals stuff I took the shock to the store and got the boot cover.

Someone here told me all this stuff last year.........It's all valid.....I don't know where you were looking....maybe you never been in the fisches. That's where the factory OEM parts are.

Keep us updated................................Al

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Wed May 13, 2015 11:10 am

Dogsled wrote:I bought one from O'Reillys....a stock boot.....I'll see if I can find the number and brand....somebody here told me and it
was long so I had to cut it......it's just a boot......

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/RAN0/RS1952/N0960.oap?ck=Search_N0960_-1_1245&pt=N0960&ppt=C0035

jjsohio

Postby jjsohio » Wed May 13, 2015 1:59 pm

The ride and feel are not different then what it has been since I got this bike.
So while its entirely possible the seals are blown, I don't think I did that.

That said, I cant seem to find any information on a rebuild kit for this.
Is anybody able to point me in the right direction?

All the 'replacement' shocks are way above my budget right now, so a rebuild or used may be my only option.

bo_mull
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

Postby bo_mull » Wed May 13, 2015 7:11 pm

gordonv wrote:I went looking for the rebuild kit at cyclmax, but all I found was a new boot. Any link to it? Mines fine right now, but my boot is torn, and figured if I was going to remove the one, I might as well rebuild it all, if it isn't too expensive.

Here is a link to the parts for the air shock. It's for an 89 tho. http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com ... K-ABSORBER

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Wed May 13, 2015 8:03 pm

Bo;
I gave him a fische a few posts back and listed the parts he needed (mine happened to be from cyclemax). I don't know if he thinks there is a bag marked rebuild kit or what. You have to order the parts individually and I listed the parts he needed....I'm confused as to what it is he wants.....

I was just trying to save him 35 bucks on the aftermarket boot that spiralout showed and that's at any parts store.

The 2 part number 10's are the bushings that are prolly elongated and may as well change while it's apart. Maybe i'm confused as to what he wants.....

jjsohio

Postby jjsohio » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:59 pm

Sorry for the confusion.
As I was reading the replies, it looked like the conversation steered off in a different direction.

I think I have found what I need to do the rebuild by looking at the parts from a 90.
Add the various videos on youtube and the posts on this site, I think I can handle this.

50$ in parts sure beats $500 or so for a new set.

I was ready to get the 412's but nobody seems to have them in stock

Thanks again to all

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”