repair lcd display

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: repair lcd display

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:27 am

It's not leaking, it's delaminating. There are multiple layers of glass and plastic, with polarizing filters and liquid crystal sandwiched in between. When the layers begin to delaminate, the liquid crystal fails, and you get the big black spot moving in from the edge. Once it begins, there is no stopping it.

Some people have tried coating the edges of the LCD in hopes that it will prevent the delamination from occurring. I have not heard whether this has been successful or not.

Greenwinger
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 SE
Pearl Green and Beautiful

Post by Greenwinger » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:33 pm

NVSB4 wrote:
Greenwinger wrote:My display wont work when it is damp, It doesn't have the half moon issue and the clock can run crazy while it's damp.
There is an article here about fixing the clock issue speculating that it is due to moisture. It walks through the process of sealing the circuit board, which would probably fix your issue as well.
I am finally getting ready to try and repair the screen this week. It mentions on the DIY page that they used alcohol and a flux brush to clean the board. Was wondering if a electronics contact cleaner spray would do a better job? It sure would be easier. I am going to treat both boards when I'm in there, I figure I 'm there what the heck.

Chuck

Greenwinger

Post by Greenwinger » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:14 am

Was also wondering if both sides of the boards should be cleaned and sealed?

Chuck

Greenwinger

Post by Greenwinger » Mon May 02, 2016 8:04 pm

Well I finished the clean and seal this weekend. I did do both sides of board #2 and the one side of board # 1 that I could get to without dismounting it from the LCD screen. I did notice that one of the 4 screws holding the #1 board to the screen was not completely tight, I turned it 3 or 4 turns to have it sit properly against the screen. Maybe I will get lucky and the loose screw is what was causing the problem!!
Ya right, not in my life would it be that simple.
The screen worked fine when I plugged it back in, I just have to wait now for damp weather to see if the fix worked or not.

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Mon May 02, 2016 9:19 pm

Greenwinger wrote:Well I finished the clean and seal this weekend. I did do both sides of board #2 and the one side of board # 1 that I could get to without dismounting it from the LCD screen. I did notice that one of the 4 screws holding the #1 board to the screen was not completely tight, I turned it 3 or 4 turns to have it sit properly against the screen. Maybe I will get lucky and the loose screw is what was causing the problem!!
Ya right, not in my life would it be that simple.
The screen worked fine when I plugged it back in, I just have to wait now for damp weather to see if the fix worked or not.
Eagerly anticipating your report and results !
Maybe after a few sessions of humid weather.....

Greenwinger

Post by Greenwinger » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:29 pm

Sorry it's been so long for the rest of the story. Since cleaning and coating the screen boards I have been on a 6000+ km trip (about 4000 miles)
The display worked flawlessly for the whole trip. We had 3 or 4 days of driving in the rain and there were 3 or 4 nights the bike sat out in the pouring rain, one storm was so bad it was responsible for a tornado touching down 20 mile from our hotel, so baby got some wet. The display worked every time.
We are in the middle of a stinking hot ultra humid heat wave here in Ontario been going on for about 2 weeks or more, and the display worked when ever I drove the bike and when turning it on to see if the display was working in the garage. I guess the only thing now is to see how long the repair lasts. Oh and the clock has not lost or gained a minute since the beginning of the trip.

Fingers crossed this will be my last issue with the display.

Dennis613l
Motorcycle: 1988 gl1500

Post by Dennis613l » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:11 pm

Any tried a mod for the display?
Have an aftermarket stereo, so just use it for shock pressure....
An after market display with say shock pressure, air and maybe oil temperature, compass bearing,....would be nice....

Bluewaterhooker0

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:23 am

Thanks for the update. Due to your success, I will probably try the fix at some point in time. I had hesitated to try it, due to that lack of success others have had. Maybe it has to do with the thoroughness of following the procedure correctly. Then again, I may just do a replacement, if possible. Thanks, again.

Greenwinger

Post by Greenwinger » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:17 am

As far as I can remember, the only thing I did different was I used a good quality spray contact cleaner CRC then I did the alcohol and flux brush and 3 thin coats of the sealer all on both sides of board 2 and the accessible side of board 1

Good Luck

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Post by NVSB4 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:23 am

Only thing holding me back is all the time that it takes to tear apart the dash.
That's wasted riding time here in Texas.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

Greenwinger

Post by Greenwinger » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:32 am

Bluewaterhooker0 wrote:Thanks for the update. Due to your success, I will probably try the fix at some point in time. I had hesitated to try it, due to that lack of success others have had. Maybe it has to do with the thoroughness of following the procedure correctly. Then again, I may just do a replacement, if possible. Thanks, again.
Yes, if money was not in such short supply I would have bought a new one for sure.

Bluewaterhooker0

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:40 pm

Greenwinger wrote:
Bluewaterhooker0 wrote:Thanks for the update. Due to your success, I will probably try the fix at some point in time. I had hesitated to try it, due to that lack of success others have had. Maybe it has to do with the thoroughness of following the procedure correctly. Then again, I may just do a replacement, if possible. Thanks, again.
Yes, if money was not in such short supply I would have bought a new one for sure.
After reading your post, I decided to bite the bullet and buy a new assembly. I had looked at them last year, and discovered that even though the LCD screens had pretty much disappeared from the suppliers, the entire gauge assembly was available, and for only about $50 more. However, today I found out that ALL those assemblies are GONE. I mean everywhere. Bummer. I was planning on getting one of the white faced dial units if possible, but it looks like used is going to be the only option from here out. If anyone has info that is contradictory, please let me know.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:01 am

Well ..... options to a bad screen ...... what's on the screen anyway?
There is the AM/FM radio dial / headset or speaker tell / radio vs tape tell .... and a Clock ..... and much of that seems to be still visible even in the examples I've seen? $500 plus if you find a new one?

Now, on my '85 GL1200 A I get a few more "more important" things via the LCD screen .... but I already have a spare if ever it goes bad. Can't see putting $500 in the one on the 1500 if it starts that creeping crud, I would try the fix here though.

BTW, both of my GLs are "used" in entirety .... and yet the LCDs are perfect still. They do spend their off moments in a warm / cool/ dehumidified basement. Even my backup LCD gage set for the 1200 was used, but it works and was $25 plus some shipping off ebay.

rick457
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500k Goldwing

Post by rick457 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:03 am

a few years back i had removed my screen from it's mount
and the half moon disappeared, i wonder if the heat might have
warped the plastic mount it's held in? do you know if anyone
has ever tried to glue that side of the srceen

Greenwinger

Post by Greenwinger » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:54 pm

Greenwinger wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:29 pm
Sorry it's been so long for the rest of the story. Since cleaning and coating the screen boards I have been on a 6000+ km trip (about 4000 miles)
The display worked flawlessly for the whole trip. We had 3 or 4 days of driving in the rain and there were 3 or 4 nights the bike sat out in the pouring rain, one storm was so bad it was responsible for a tornado touching down 20 mile from our hotel, so baby got some wet. The display worked every time.
We are in the middle of a stinking hot ultra humid heat wave here in Ontario been going on for about 2 weeks or more, and the display worked when ever I drove the bike and when turning it on to see if the display was working in the garage. I guess the only thing now is to see how long the repair lasts. Oh and the clock has not lost or gained a minute since the beginning of the trip.

Fingers crossed this will be my last issue with the display.

Another update. It's been over a year since I repaired the screen and it is still working great. I left the battery in the bike and a trickle charger on it all winter long and when I pulled it out this spring the display was working and the clock hadn't lost a single minute. We again are having a damp humid and very wet spring and first of summer and the display is working flawlessly, touch wood.

rick457
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500k Goldwing

Post by rick457 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:03 am

I found a replacement lcd on ebay/ cost after participating in auction $290.
while replacing lcd I replaced all the instrument cluster bulbs/ cost around $50

Bigbiker0
Motorcycle: 1997 gl 1500 se

Post by Bigbiker0 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:59 am

Greenwinger, can you explain what kind of sealant you use?
Drive safely Heaven do not exist.

Greenwinger

Post by Greenwinger » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:52 am

MG Chemicals Acrylic Lacquer Conformal Coating, 340g (12 Oz) Aerosol Can, Clear is what I used, it is available at Amazon.ca but I got mine from Syal electronic supply. Don't know if you have them in your
part of the country. If you haven't already, click on the link in the top post about fixing the clock on the 1500. After cleaning with CRC spray electronics cleaner and 99% isopropal alcohol with a flux brush. I did 3 light coats each 24 hrs apart. Check the 4 mounting screws on the screen to make sure they are all tight. Let me know if any of the screws were loose, it would be interesting to see if there was a simple assembly issue that may have caused the problem. I cleaned and coated both sides of board 2 and the 1 exposed side of board 1.

Good Luck

Bigbiker0

Post by Bigbiker0 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:09 pm

I'll keep you posted thanks for the info.

Bigbiker0

Post by Bigbiker0 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:19 pm

I made the repair on lcd screen and for now it's work, amazing. I am anxious to ride in deep rain for better test.
Thanks for the advice.
Keep you posted

Bigbiker0

Post by Bigbiker0 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:42 am

There over a month now since I did the repair on the LCD screen on my GW and the clock didn't lost a minute since then. I am anxious to ride in the rain to see if repair is total.

kane67
Motorcycle: Honda GL1500-88

Post by kane67 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:16 am

Have you seen this? If you have bad lcd, you can get new one...
http://www.taninautoelectronix.com/Sear ... ng&Submit=

349,99$

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:47 pm

I had not seen that. Kind of pricey but if you need one it is good to know you can get it.

Bigbiker0

Post by Bigbiker0 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:50 pm

kane67 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:16 am
Have you seen this? If you have bad lcd, you can get new one...
http://www.taninautoelectronix.com/Sear ... ng&Submit=

349,99$
MY problem was the clock going to fast and become blank when riding in deep rain. With the help of Greenwinder the problem disappear for about $30

kane67
Motorcycle: Honda GL1500-88

Post by kane67 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:38 am

Yep, I have lcd with about half moon shape. I can see 2 digit of radio frequency, well I don't mind as I just search good music ;)
My clock and kPa readings are mixed and acts weird, does not show numbers, just few block here and there, I can see often kPa text (not using compressor) etc.
Must look carefully the board/components/ soldering next winter break. Hopefully will find bad contact somewhere.
Clock and pressure control is in the outer board?