headlight issues

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
kneabling
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

headlight issues

Postby kneabling » Sat May 16, 2015 11:14 pm

I am new to the goldwing world. I purchased my first one about 1week ago. It is my dream bike since I was 12. On to the issue. It's a 1994 SE and when I change from high to low beam or vice versa depends on what it is on when I start the bike. The headlight when switched will either start modulating or go completely out. It does have a photocell so I assume there is a modulator on it but from what I've read if the modulator goes out you will still have basic high and low beam not just one or for that matter nothing. HELP!

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: headlight issues

Postby dingdong » Sun May 17, 2015 7:25 am

I previously had an older Signal Dynamics modulator. When it failed it did not fail on it failed off. No high beam. The "fail on" feature evidently came later.

Tom
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

kneabling
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Postby kneabling » Sun May 17, 2015 10:15 am

Thank you I will look into that. I just didn't want to tear into it without a liitle idea of what it could be. Could it be the headlight switch assy. itself. If so which would would be the best and easiest to check first.

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Sun May 17, 2015 9:14 pm

These wiring diagrams might help you sort it out. I would first verify that you have a Signal Dynamics modulator, and if so, that it has the wiring harness for the Goldwing with dual connections to the 2 headlights (not the harness for only one headlight). No telling what a PO might have installed. Could be only connected to one of the headlights. Those modulators are located in the headlight cavity behind the headlights. The dual harness will have a modulator bulb connection on each headlight, with the left headlight plug feeding the module.
It looks like control power goes through the start/reverse switch, to the dimmer switch, then to a high beam relay or low beam relay, depending on the dimmer switch setting. From the relays, it's a straight shot to the headlight bulbs.
Easiest diagnosis might be to simply uninstall the modulator, by unplugging it from the connections and wiring back to OEM. If your headlights seem to behave normally, you have your answer. If not, take a look at the bulbs first, then the relays for high and low.
For now, the modulator is just confusing any diagnosis. Remove it from the equation.
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon May 18, 2015 1:27 pm

In order for the headlight modulator to be legal, per DOT regulations, it MUST be designed to fail in an "on" state. Either you've got a non-complying regulator, or it's failed in an unexpected way.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”