Loss of power?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
ghostvet
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A

1997 GL1500SE

Loss of power?

Postby ghostvet » Sun May 17, 2015 11:09 am

Hello everyone,

So, I was riding my 97 GL1500SE and my aftermarket digital volt meter was beeping low voltage- under 11 volts. Now, this had happened a lot so it was not much more than an annoyance. But, I also noticed my dash lights were starting to get dim. I was at full RPM so I was starting to wonder- maybe the volt meter is not crap like I thought it was. Maybe I have been having a problem for a while and did not realize it. I stopped at a red light and the bike just died. I hit the start button and the battery was near dead and wouldn't crank. I pushed off to the side of the road and got a tow home.

I am thinking maybe regulator/rectifier, and praying it is not the stator. I have a gel battery about a year or so old, and it is often on the trickle charger.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this before I start in on it? I have pretty serious problems with bending over, working on the bike right now so I necessarily need to keep my shop time to a minimum. I am having withdrawal symptoms so I must get back on the bike soon. :lol:

Thank you for your consideration.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: Loss of power?

Postby ct1500 » Sun May 17, 2015 12:43 pm

Your 1500 has an alternator, either repair yours or replace with this.

http://www.amazon.com/LACTRICAL-ALTERNA ... ingdocs-20
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

ghostvet

1997 GL1500SE

Postby ghostvet » Sun May 17, 2015 1:01 pm

ct1500 wrote:Your 1500 has an alternator, either repair yours or replace with this.

http://www.amazon.com/LACTRICAL-ALTERNA ... ingdocs-20

Thank you.

I truly hope I don't have replace that. I am sure it is not an easy task.

What is the amperage of the OEM alternator?

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Sun May 17, 2015 1:32 pm

CT1500 nailed it.

The OEM alternator puts out about 30 amps, maxed out. The LACtrical alt I got puts out 90 amps...and puts out more at idle than the OEM one does at max.

Installation is surprisingly easy. The toughest part is just fishing out the skinny "sense wire" & connector that mother Honda so thoughtfully hid inside the left side "false fuel tank" plastic. This alt simply slots into place, exactly the same way the OEM one does. 3 bolts, undo two wires, wiggle the OEM alt out. Aside from a wrench for the 3 bolts & the heavy wire connection, no tools are required for the job, as all the body panels that need to come off can just be pulled off with your fingers. Although the aftermarket alt is dimensionally a tiny bit larger than the OEM one, I found the difference to be insignificant, and made zero problems for install.

No matter which alternator you install (even if you put the old one back in) you should install a new set of rubber alternator drive buffers - this will prevent rattling of the alternator drive (the buffers get old, hard, and undersized over time).

I dreaded doing this job myself (it was my very first inside-the-plastic, mechanical job on my GL1500), but was surprised & pleased how simple it ended up being. Seriously - if I had to change an alternator on the side of the road, I could probably do it in 15 minutes or so. Try THAT with changing the rear tire!!!!

It was also relatively cheap - much less than the cost of a replacement OEM alt, with much better capacity, and built on an off-the-shelf GM (Saturn) car alternator. My LACtrical alt puts out 14.15 V consistently, even at idle.

It is still possible, though, that your problem may be loose battery cables, or a bad chassis ground. I'd use a good VOM to measure the bike's output at the battery to check for sure (obviously, you'll need to get it started using a good battery in the first place). Any output under 13.8 V, and I'm pretty sure a new alt is in your future. I'm betting you're only getting 12V at best...and the GL1500 needs a LOT of juice to keep running.

Hope that helps.

ghostvet

1997 GL1500SE

Postby ghostvet » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:27 pm

This thread is continuing at _

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=30296

Thanx all.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”