Exaust system

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Fortinbras
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

Exaust system

Postby Fortinbras » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:01 pm

Hi everybody. First time question session. It's good to be here. I have a '93 Aspencade 52k miles and was looking to spice up my ride life with a new exaust system. I have no skills or knowlege in these matters and am hoping for some feedback. After doing some research on the net I found the parts I think I want: cams, 4 degree timing wheel, what I think is called an exaust chamber or pre muffler, and the main mufflers. The costs quickly went over what I thought they might be. Now I'm considering cutting back the plan a bit, trying to find a nice balance between performance and sound, while looking for the best cost/benefit scenario. My questions are:

1) Can I eliminate either the exaust chamber or the cams, and if so, which one?

2) I can't remember my second question so I'll move on to a concern: I don't want to end up with something that's too loud, especially at cruise speed.

3) Here's one: Would the new cams reduce gas mileage?

Well, that's all I can think of. Thanks a lot everybody. I just found this site and I've already learned a bunch just reading through the forum.

raycw
Motorcycle: 88 GL1500

Re: Exaust system

Postby raycw » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:57 pm

Since it's a 93 the ignition timing wheel has already been modified by the factory so the new degree wheel would be an unjustified expense.
The only real way to 'spice up your ride life' would be cams. The down sides are that they are very expensive, installation, decreased fuel mileage, possible carb modifications, slightly rougher idle, possible decreased upper rpm performance, they usually require a freer flowing exhaust to be of any real help.
The up sides would be increased low and midrange performance... if you pull a trailer, sidecar, or the unit has been triked this might be a real plus.

If you go with a modified exhaust then the only thing you're really going to be getting is more noise. Some people claim a power increase but in most cases it's at the very upper rpm range that a GL rider usually doesn't use.

Personally, I'd leave the engine stock.... but I'm happy with my spice in my ride. I'd spend the money on upgrade suspension parts. Better handling bikes can usually beat a bike with more power... after you get off the straight away.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:47 pm

I have to agree with Ray, your money would be much better spent sorting out the poor standard suspension than getting an extra 5 or 10hp from the engine. Goldwings are great bikes but their handling can really be improved for a few hundred dollars (fork springs, fork brace, new rear shock(s), steering bearings, etc) and you can use the improvement all the time not just on a straight line!!

Gary

Fortinbras
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby Fortinbras » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:26 pm

Thanks for your reply Ray and Gary. Sounds like you guys know what you're talking about. I don't need a faster lounder bike. But the suspesions thing I know I could use. I recently discovered that I can put air in the front forks where there wasn't any. I put six pounds in them and I was immediatly more confident in the turns - front end wasn't as mushy. If I had a full upgrade, that would really be something. I'll start researching supensions. Thanks again.

raycw

Postby raycw » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:22 pm

It's not that hard to research...
Progressive 450 rear shock
Progressive fork springs and 10wt oil
new suspension oil in the right rear shock and

YOU'LL BE GOOD TO GO!!!!

gold1200
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda gl1200 Goldwing Aspencade

Postby gold1200 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:25 pm

Raycw, Why 10wt oil in the right shock only, why not both of them?. Did I miss something?...... Also, this is the best "INFO" Site, I've EVER found. Thanks to All of the Contributers..... :D

raycw

Postby raycw » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:18 pm

The left rear shock is a standard spring/damper shock. The right rear shock is an air/oil shock only.
It isn't the same as on the earlier model that have 2 spring/damper shocks. The oil in the right rear shock gets worn just like the oil in the front forks gets worn. Replacing the oil usually requires disassembly of the shock. Most DIY types don't have the special tools required to do the job so it's best to let a shop do it.

If you do go with the Progressive rear shock you'll find that they only sell you 1 shock... for the left side only.

Oh... by the way I didn't mean 10wt oil in the rear shock. The 10wt oil goes in the front forks. Progressive says to use 15wt oil but I think it's too stiff. The 10wt feels a little softer but isn't too soft.

gold1200
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda gl1200 Goldwing Aspencade

Postby gold1200 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:01 pm

Thanks Raycw, I had no clue. I'm working on the forks and rear shocks........ Probably wont do much, with the fronts, maybe better springs, but the rears, need attention. Thanks again. :)

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”