blowing 15a fuse.. losing all gauges and lights

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
vantage2
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda Goldwing

blowing 15a fuse.. losing all gauges and lights

Postby vantage2 » Wed May 27, 2015 10:25 pm

my Goldwing keeps blowing the 15a fuse that control all the gauges and lights (except signal and brake lights) I thought it may have been a bad wire.. exposed wire.. bad ground.. but have come to the conclusion that if I'm riding at highway speeds (110km/h +) the fuse will blow at random.. after 30 minutes on the average.. If I ride on the back roads at a leisurely 90 km/h average.. I can ride for hours and not blow a fuse. any one else experience this?? what could be drawing so much juice to pop my fuse??

You'll never find a motorcycle parked in front of a Psychiatrist's office.... Just saying!!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: blowing 15a fuse.. losing all gauges and lights

Postby WingAdmin » Thu May 28, 2015 9:21 am

vantage2 wrote:my Goldwing keeps blowing the 15a fuse that control all the gauges and lights (except signal and brake lights) I thought it may have been a bad wire.. exposed wire.. bad ground.. but have come to the conclusion that if I'm riding at highway speeds (110km/h +) the fuse will blow at random.. after 30 minutes on the average.. If I ride on the back roads at a leisurely 90 km/h average.. I can ride for hours and not blow a fuse. any one else experience this?? what could be drawing so much juice to pop my fuse??

This is pretty tough. If there is no obvious draw, then the next step is to disconnect one of the items at a time and go out for a ride to see if it still blows. Intermittent random faults like this are really tough to track down.

vantage2

Postby vantage2 » Thu May 28, 2015 4:37 pm

thanks for reply.. I'm slowly working towards that.. disconnecting and getting a good ride in at the same time.. hahah.. was hoping someone out there may have encountered it before is all.. It is a used bike.. and the previous owner(s) had modified some of the lights.. so that was the first place I looked.. i'll keep at it and enjoy my rides at the same time.. if I come across the issue.. i'll definitely post it ...
You'll never find a motorcycle parked in front of a Psychiatrist's office.... Just saying!!

vantage2

Postby vantage2 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:40 pm

after many rides and many searches online i think i may have found the problem. i read somewhere to check the wiring harness that is under the seat. This is the wiring harness used if you pull a trailer. Long story short.. it had a few bare ends.. and depending on vibrations, bumps etc.. it would ground out or short out. I promptly taped it up. Popped in a new fuse.. and there it is.
hope this helps someone else who may be experiencing this. Never would i have thought to look at that harness. i looked at everything else.. cleaned contacts unwrapped wires to see if anything was bare. it was a simple fix.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”