GL1500's, Crash bars, & Tip-overs?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

GL1500's, Crash bars, & Tip-overs?

Postby Mh434 » Sat May 30, 2015 12:59 pm

Okay, here's a general question I haven't seen anywhere here before.

First, to preface, when someone tipped my previous bike (Kasawaki Concours 1000) over in a parking lot, the bill for repairing the fairing, mirrors, etc., was in the thousands of dollars. I put tip-over bars on it after that (when they became available, from Murphs), so figured I was okay from then on.

My issued-to-me Honda ST1300, on the other hand, could be dropped at speed without damage beyond scuffing the plastic cover over the bottom corner of the rollbar. Those covers will take several go-downs before they're too mangled to use, and they're cheap & easy to replace.

So - on to my GL1500 question. Has anyone here had their 'Wing tip over (NOT at speed - just a garage tip-over, for example), and how much damage was there (if any). I've been paranoid about this since I got the bike, as I just don't know if the factory crash bars will support the bike without letting breakable bits hit the ground, or if it will just keep right on going over onto fairing, mirrors, etc.

I know it's a sore subject, but, has anyone had this experience, and what broke, if anything? :shock:

Thanks!

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Re: GL1500's, Crash bars, & Tip-overs?

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sat May 30, 2015 1:27 pm

Normally the only thing that gets hurt if anything would be your hiway pegs/boards.They might also just twist up out of the way and not even get hurt.
My Buddy has an 09 that he recently laid down in town.He was going fairly slow and got cut off by his buddy turning into a hotel parking lot at the last minute.Only thing it did was scratch the crash bars on the one side.They did their job quite nicely.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Sat May 30, 2015 1:32 pm

Ok I will chime in here. I have dropped my 1500 at next to zero kph. It just got off center a little too far and took a nap. With the weight of these bikes if they want to lay down I dont try to stop them. The crashbars work just fine and for the slow layover the bike goes no further, however if you dropped it on grass or some other softer surface the bike can go over a little farther and touch the mirror,scuffing up the paint and plastic a bit. The crash bars are well designed for the occasional drop, at speed they dont just slide, the bike tends to tumble. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Sat May 30, 2015 1:40 pm

THANK you!! That's the kind of info I was looking for!

amsoilguy
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby amsoilguy » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:50 pm

Mine has tipped as well and didn't go beyond the crash bars.
Allan

'88 GL1500

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:31 am

I believe that most of us have "allowed our GW to have a rest", at some time or other. And when it is resting, it sits up at about 30 degrees from flat, thus allowing you to be able to 'easily' pick it up, and get it back on its feet again.

Watch the videos on how to pick them up, and you will see that they rarely, if ever, are flat on the ground. The GW like to be comfortable if they are resting, and do not like to make disfiguring marks on the shiny bits/ ;)
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:36 am

Has happened a couple times and gladly not a scratch. Well designed bike. The last time she fell over I was on a bad road with loads if gravel. My feet were skating all around.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Postby CMReynolds1 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:26 am

The only thing I could add is I read somewhere that a GWer had a tip over and the style of highway pegs he had punctured the valve cover. So, I would just caution anyone on keeping this in mind when purchasing pegs. I have an 1800 and I did that for my pegs. It has tipped and no problem other than my pride!
Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:24 am

Thanks, folks! It's nice to know that a tipover isn't likely to cause significant damage. I guess it's due to the Wing's low center of gravity, so it doesn't go over past the crash bars. CMReynolds1 - good info on the highway pegs! I'm going to have to ponder that, as I have pegs.

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Postby joeincalif » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:10 am

I was hit from behind by a guy trying to pass, he ran into me, he was doing about 70 - 75 I was going about 45, he panicked and slammed on his brakes and slid into the rear left saddlebag/rear fender area. Knocked the bike out from under me and it slid a long way on it's crash bars.
The crash bars work great.

IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Postby CMReynolds1 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:27 am

Joe,
Thank God you are okay. The 'ingredients' in your accident sound like a critical injury accident! Great pics showing just how well the crash bars work. Also, I have never understood why some Beemer models don't have them and why the end user doesn't add them. Odds are against them of the bike laying over sometime. Being a retired FF/Paramedic if I was to get the call and have the issue described to me, I would expect a death or a life flight situation.

You are a very fortunate person Sir!

Thanks for sharing.
Attachments
Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

urbanmadness
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100A Aspencade *sold
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby urbanmadness » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:11 pm

I bought a 1500 last wed and laid it on it's side on saturday (0 mph)... I was getting off the bike and I didn 't get the kick stand down all the way.... Not a bit of damage to the bike, other then the very top of the windshild got scratched (it fell sort of on my buddies bike) No damage to either bike.

In our little group, we have 3 1500's and all three have been down, the same exact way all within the first month of ownership, in all three cases, no damage other then pride... In our group, if you put one down, you get a chicken and you have to put it on your bike until another in our group does it.... So, of course, I was presented with the chicken (cable tied to the back rack)... It's a harsh reminder.... I even have a picture of being presented with it.... LOL (I can laugh about it now... I was pretty upset when I did it)

Anyway, don't worry about laying it down in the garage as long as nothing is around it, and you get out from under it.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:43 pm

urbanmadness wrote:I bought a 1500 last wed and laid it on it's side on saturday (0 mph)... I was getting off the bike and I didn 't get the kick stand down all the way.... Not a bit of damage to the bike, other then the very top of the windshild got scratched (it fell sort of on my buddies bike) No damage to either bike.

In our little group, we have 3 1500's and all three have been down, the same exact way all within the first month of ownership, in all three cases, no damage other then pride... In our group, if you put one down, you get a chicken and you have to put it on your bike until another in our group does it.... So, of course, I was presented with the chicken (cable tied to the back rack)... It's a harsh reminder.... I even have a picture of being presented with it.... LOL (I can laugh about it now... I was pretty upset when I did it)

Anyway, don't worry about laying it down in the garage as long as nothing is around it, and you get out from under it.

Congratulations on your new bike - you'll have to update your profile and picture now. Does that mean the GL1100 with fantastic paint job is gone?

urbanmadness
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100A Aspencade *sold
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby urbanmadness » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:41 pm

Yea, I sold her to one of my buddies. The nice thing is the 1500 didn't cost me any money out of pocket and my buddy got a good deal (you do that for buddies)...

the new bike does have a few small issues. The biggest is it needs wheel bearings in the front. They aren't that bad, yet, but they will be replaced in the next couple of weeks. The seat is pretty ratted out, I'm not quite happy with the rear brakes and the trunk top is cracked. I think it has about every piece of chrome that was offered by show chrome. There is a little patina on it and I haven't decided if I'm going to paint the bike or not. I like wineberry but it's got alot of patina, like I said. The plastics, other then the trunk, are in steller shape, only one broken tab so far. I have the stereo, close to working (dirty plug on the unit) and it came with headsets... Oh yea, it's got a set of pipes and it runs really well. Not too loud, just pleasent. Very good buy at 1500 bucks.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”