Rear Master Cyl rebuild question

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
n5926g
Motorcycle: 1990 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

Rear Master Cyl rebuild question

Postby n5926g » Sun May 31, 2015 2:32 pm

Afternoon guys, Finally had a rain day,so I rebuilt my rear master cyl....Pertty straight forward...Cylinder walls were pristeen,and just broke the glaze with a littls scotchbrite,and forceps...Put in two new seals,and spring....dust boot etc....I may be having a "brain fart" here,so correct me PLEASE if im wrong....I hooked up the old hose,and resirvior,filled the reservoir,and pushed on the shaft repeatedly.....Drew in VERY little fluid,and nothing out the two output ports...
One would think I would get fluid out of both ports.......but nooooooooo Normal????????

rzaugg
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Rear Master Cyl rebuild question

Postby rzaugg » Sun May 31, 2015 11:43 pm

Not normal. should get fluid squirting out of both ports when you push and fluid level should drop in the reservoir when you let it back out.

Piston seal cup wrong direction maybe? I haven't had to rebuild one of these, but unless the hose from the reservoir is plugged, that's about all I could think of. I am picturing you not having it installed on the bike while you were doing this and the reservoir is being held above the cylinder with the cap off. Kind of a make shift "bench bleed".

Now that I think about it, that might be what you should try. Push the piston in, put a finger over each of the out ports, then release.

n5926g

Postby n5926g » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:26 am

rzaugg wrote:Not normal. should get fluid squirting out of both ports when you push and fluid level should drop in the reservoir when you let it back out.

Piston seal cup wrong direction maybe? I haven't had to rebuild one of these, but unless the hose from the reservoir is plugged, that's about all I could think of. I am picturing you not having it installed on the bike while you were doing this and the reservoir is being held above the cylinder with the cap off. Kind of a make shift "bench bleed".

Now that I think about it, that might be what you should try. Push the piston in, put a finger over each of the out ports, then release.

Thats what I was thinking....book doesent show orientation of the seal....I think I have it right....anyone got a real detailed exploded print?????

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:18 am

HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Postby wingman12 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:47 pm

good evening n5926g, I have not seen your smiling face since you asked about the rubber heat shield, how did that go for you.

As I remember when I had to rebuild the rear master cylinder on a 82 I, it was full of gray mud, there were two very tiny holes covered up with the mud and I had to clean them out with a bristle I cut off a stiff wire brush, then flush out with parts cleaner to get a good flow of fluid out of the master cylinder. I believe there is a how to do article on the site that is pretty good. I also flushed out the line from the master to the caliper to remove the gray mud.

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Postby wingman12 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:54 pm

n5926g, I could not find the rebuild information for the 1500, but there is a detailed picture by picture of the process on the 1100 rear master cylinder, I do not know if there is much difference in the two. Perhaps you have already solved your problem.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:24 am

The rebuild procedure is pretty much the same - the principles of how they work is just about identical. The main difference on the GL1500 compared to the GL1100 is that the rear master cylinder on the GL1100 is relatively easy to get to and remove - and on the GL1500, it is buried, requiring the removal of the exhaust, mufflers, exhaust chamber, heat protector, battery and battery box to be able to remove. Not a good design.

n5926g

Postby n5926g » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:29 am

WingAdmin wrote:The rebuild procedure is pretty much the same - the principles of how they work is just about identical. The main difference on the GL1500 compared to the GL1100 is that the rear master cylinder on the GL1100 is relatively easy to get to and remove - and on the GL1500, it is buried, requiring the removal of the exhaust, mufflers, exhaust chamber, heat protector, battery and battery box to be able to remove. Not a good design.

THAT my friend is an understatement,I have been doing yard projects for the past 3 week,s and the end is still not in sight.I have the cylinder rebuilt,and reservoir hooked up and filled(on the bench)...When I push the rod,nothing comes out of the outlet ports....One would think I would get something...There is some sort of "regulator" incorporated on the top,that supposedly is non repairable....Im wondering if I need to tear it back down and soak the metal portion in something...??? :?

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”