GL 1500 Engine Fitment

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
stovall
Motorcycle: 1990 Honda Goldwing SE Pearl White

GL 1500 Engine Fitment

Postby stovall » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:20 am

I have not been very active on here, but I recently learned a lot of bad things were going on with my mechanic & I had to go & trailer my bike home today. He was supposed to be repairing my transmission...she is a 1990 & had developed the dreaded 4-5 gear shifter rattle problem. I now have a huge jigsaw puzzle & may have to seek the advice of more wise people than myself in getting her back together. I have promised my son a ride to the Dragon Tail mid to late August, so I figure my only real course of action is to get a good used motor off of eBay & swap in, then repair the old engine & swap it back in later if need be. My first question to the group is: Will all of the engines from 1989 to 2001 or so interchange without any major hiccups? Does everything line up, or have there been minor changes here & there that is going to make this a real pain. I am a CNC machinist & can modify & make almost anything needed, but time is of the essence here, it has been 4 years since I have been on a bike & would like to get this bike up & running so I can work out any issues that arise & get back used to being on a bike. I would certainly appreciate any advice any of you fellow wingers could provide to help me get back up & running soon!!!!! I am also going to cross post this on a couple other sites, so I can get the most input since I already have my eye on a low mileage engine that the auction will be ending on tuesday.

Brian Stovall
1990 Gl1500SE
Pendergrass, GA

kybigmac
Motorcycle: 1993 Goldwing ASP.,2008 star stratoliner

Re: GL 1500 Engine Fitment

Postby kybigmac » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:57 am

My understanding is to avoid getting another engine with the transmission problems is to get a 97 thru 00 model. Hope this helps!

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”