GL 1500 Engine Fitment

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
stovall
Motorcycle: 1990 Honda Goldwing SE Pearl White

GL 1500 Engine Fitment

Post by stovall » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:20 am

I have not been very active on here, but I recently learned a lot of bad things were going on with my mechanic & I had to go & trailer my bike home today. He was supposed to be repairing my transmission...she is a 1990 & had developed the dreaded 4-5 gear shifter rattle problem. I now have a huge jigsaw puzzle & may have to seek the advice of more wise people than myself in getting her back together. I have promised my son a ride to the Dragon Tail mid to late August, so I figure my only real course of action is to get a good used motor off of eBay & swap in, then repair the old engine & swap it back in later if need be. My first question to the group is: Will all of the engines from 1989 to 2001 or so interchange without any major hiccups? Does everything line up, or have there been minor changes here & there that is going to make this a real pain. I am a CNC machinist & can modify & make almost anything needed, but time is of the essence here, it has been 4 years since I have been on a bike & would like to get this bike up & running so I can work out any issues that arise & get back used to being on a bike. I would certainly appreciate any advice any of you fellow wingers could provide to help me get back up & running soon!!!!! I am also going to cross post this on a couple other sites, so I can get the most input since I already have my eye on a low mileage engine that the auction will be ending on tuesday.

Brian Stovall
1990 Gl1500SE
Pendergrass, GA

kybigmac
Motorcycle: 1993 Goldwing ASP.,2008 star stratoliner

Re: GL 1500 Engine Fitment

Post by kybigmac » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:57 am

My understanding is to avoid getting another engine with the transmission problems is to get a 97 thru 00 model. Hope this helps!

stovall

Post by stovall » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:46 am

It's been a while since my last post, so here is a bit of an update/question.

I have the replacement motor ready to be installed. I have rebuilt the clutch, slave cylinder, installed new timing belts, thermostat, & plugs. Upon trying to re-install the new motor, we discovered a issue with the "Air Solenoid valves." The 90 had 4 of them, but the 1999 seems to only have 3 & they are all different part numbers according to "Parts Fish". Should I try to use what I have & take the intake for the old engine & put it on the new, or will it even fit? Will the old carbs work on the new engine? I really want to get this bike running so any help that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated!!
Brian Stovall
1990 Gl1500SE
Pendergrass, GA

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:25 am

stovall wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:46 am
It's been a while since my last post, so here is a bit of an update/question.

I have the replacement motor ready to be installed. I have rebuilt the clutch, slave cylinder, installed new timing belts, thermostat, & plugs. Upon trying to re-install the new motor, we discovered a issue with the "Air Solenoid valves." The 90 had 4 of them, but the 1999 seems to only have 3 & they are all different part numbers according to "Parts Fish". Should I try to use what I have & take the intake for the old engine & put it on the new, or will it even fit? Will the old carbs work on the new engine? I really want to get this bike running so any help that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated!!
I would try the old carburetor on the new engine, because the ECU is controlling the fuel/air ratio by means of those selonoid valves, and it is programmed to work so.

Otherwise you may need new ECU, solenoid valves, vacuum lines and many other parts.

stovall

Post by stovall » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:28 pm

Should I try changing the entire intake over, or just use the one that is already on the new engine?
Brian Stovall
1990 Gl1500SE
Pendergrass, GA

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:17 pm

There seems a difference at the intake manifolds between 90-91 model and the later years.

92-2000 models have the same part number, but for the 90 model I think you should use the old one if it fits on.

The difference maybe at the vacuum ports where the hoses connected. From the pictures below, at least I can see a difference at the right manifold, a port next to the number 32 is missing at the 99 model.

And another port on the left manifold near the number 28 at the 99 model is missing at the 90 model.
Attachments