How is it attached ?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

How is it attached ?

Postby Uncle Fester » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:33 pm

Okay, this morning I uncovered the bike to drive the wife to work, and the running / brake light on the spoiler was laying on the ground ! I have looked, and a replacement is $70 more or less, so I want to TRY to resolder mine back together, but I can not tell how the spoiler is attached to the bike. Is it by screws, 3M type tape, or a mixture of both ?

Just as a side note, the black "rear plate" to the light is still on the bike, the red light housing is what came off, breaking the wires at the circuit board. I HOPE to resolder it and glue it back together. . . .as I can not afford $70 right now.

If needed, I can post a picture or two later on. . . . Let me know.

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Re: How is it attached ?

Postby joeincalif » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:47 pm

If the bike is a 1500 the spoiler is mounted by 4 screws on the in side of the trunk lid, 2 on each side. should not be any sticky stuff just a rubber gasket under each leg. I think you can find the replacement lights on e bay kind of reasonable.
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:52 pm

Cool, I saw the four screws, but also saw some gasket type stuff, was not sure if was a gasket or 3M type stuff. . . . Will check it out in the AM.
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:51 am

Anyone know how to tell, with out removing it,if my spoiler is Hondaline or after market ?

I have found out, if is Hondaline is about $300.00 , if is aftermarket it is about $70.00 . Whats the difference besides who made it ? Different shape ? Different mounting ? What ? :?:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:48 am

For the same reason all Hondaline accessories cost three times as much as the equivalent aftermarket accessory: The Hondaline accessory has the special Honda magic dust added as the last step of manufacturing, and you know someone has to pay for that.

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:39 am

WingAdmin wrote:For the same reason all Hondaline accessories cost three times as much as the equivalent aftermarket accessory: The Hondaline accessory has the special Honda magic dust added as the last step of manufacturing, and you know someone has to pay for that.

ROTFLMAO ! :lol:

So on a serious note, can I use a aftermarket replacement light on a Hondaline spoiler ?

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:51 am

There are options out there. Here are two through Cyclemax.

Replacement spoiler light

Complete spoiler
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:15 pm

Yeah, I saw those, but until just now, after reading it better, I was not sure if it would fit my spoiler. According to the post with it, it does fit, so if I can not fix mine, I will be buying the replacement light.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:35 am

Speaking of that "MAGIC DUST" on the last step which makes HONDA LINE parts so expensive.
"IF" GoldWings had that "IMAGE" like HD's do, Honda Line parts would be cheaper than HD parts.
But then, it's all about greed. How much water can we squeeze out of our rocks (customers).

If Honda priced there parts reasonably, they'd sell a whole lot more. (EH, I'm dreaming again :roll: )

"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”