bike starts then dies, trouble on first start

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
captdecker
Motorcycle: 89 Gl1500
2006 GL1800HPN ABS

bike starts then dies, trouble on first start

Postby captdecker » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:10 pm

Feels like it is running out of fuel. Pull choke when it*if it ) reves it is fine (trouble on first only)Rest of the day no mater how short or how long , many for few starts, the bike runs good. Was getting worse and doing more so on low tank. Replaced the fuel pump, was good just for a few miles and is running bad again.
This time even the 4ways came on with out me turning then on, is the bike trying to tell me something and if so what?
The tack shows a bounce that should say it is getting pulse to fire. This morning fired right up 200 feet down the road died, would restart but not rev up was able to get back to house but not up drive. Came back to it a few hours later runs find.

Suggestions ?
The bike is an 89 GL1500 with 130000 on it.
I know thinking ECU or other elec.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: bike starts then dies, trouble on first start

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:30 am

I'm not sure if you're looking at an electrical or a fuel problem. It could be either.

I have two theories:

1. Your battery is weak. When left to sit for a length of time, the voltage decreases - perhaps due to parasite draw from an accessory on the bike? When you start the bike, there is enough to crank it and get it running, but once it's running, the reserve power left in the battery is barely enough to fire the plugs - and the GL1500 needs a LOT of power to fire the plugs properly. If you keep it running OK, the alternator charges the battery and tops it up, so that subsequent starts are OK - until the next time it sits for a while. You can rule this out by putting the battery on a battery tender overnight, which will keep it topped up. If that doesn't solve the problem, then it's not the battery.

2. You have a fuel issue. This is borne out by the fact that the issue occurs more often when the tank is low - which means the fuel pump has to work harder to lift the fuel up to the carburetor float bowls. You've already replaced the fuel pump, which would be my first suspect, so unless the replacement pump is bad, we should be able to rule that out. You said you had it die 200 feet down the road, which to me says you used up the fuel in the float bowls, and no more fuel was getting through.

When was the last time you replaced the fuel filter?

Also check the fuel petcock. Get an inline fuel connector, disconnect the input and output lines from the petcock, and push/clamp them onto the connector. This will leave the fuel always on, bypassing the petcock. If that solves the issue, then you have an issue with the petcock, or perhaps the vacuum line actuating the petcock.

I had a similar problem to yours on my GL1500 after doing a large amount of maintenance. It turned out that during reassembly, I had inadvertently crimped the vacuum line going to the petcock - so the petcock wasn't getting turned on correctly and only allowing a dribble of fuel to get through.

captdecker
2006 GL1800HPN ABS

Postby captdecker » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:16 am

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:30 am

I'm not sure if you're looking at an electrical or a fuel problem. It could be either.
That what makes it so annoying.
I have two theories:

1. Your battery is weak. When left to sit for a length of time, the voltage decreases - perhaps due to parasite draw from an accessory on the bike? When you start the bike, there is enough to crank it and get it running, but once it's running, the reserve power left in the battery is barely enough to fire the plugs - and the GL1500 needs a LOT of power to fire the plugs properly. If you keep it running OK, the alternator charges the battery and tops it up, so that subsequent starts are OK - until the next time it sits for a while. You can rule this out by putting the battery on a battery tender overnight, which will keep it topped up. If that doesn't solve the problem, then it's not the battery.

The battery is a good MGA then Compfire alternator takes over with 13.8 -14.2 at ide. Plus the bike is driven almost ever day. the joy of being in AZ pines.

2. You have a fuel issue. This is borne out by the fact that the issue occurs more often when the tank is low - which means the fuel pump has to work harder to lift the fuel up to the carburetor float bowls. You've already replaced the fuel pump, which would be my first suspect, so unless the replacement pump is bad, we should be able to rule that out. You said you had it die 200 feet down the road, which to me says you used up the fuel in the float bowls, and no more fuel was getting through.

When was the last time you replaced the fuel filter?

It has been a while on filter, though I did check the flow threw it, and was good.

Also check the fuel petcock. Get an inline fuel connector, disconnect the input and output lines from the petcock, and push/clamp them onto the connector. This will leave the fuel always on, bypassing the petcock. If that solves the issue, then you have an issue with the petcock, or perhaps the vacuum line actuating the petcock.

That is what I'm going to do today. I had rebuilt the petcock last fall due to small fuel leak. I have put my finger on the line to it with bike running and could feel the vacuum. My thought at this time that it sticks from sitting over night. Once open the bike is good all the rest of the day. As you say a lot of maintenance, I some what pulling out what little hair I have. Thank you for getting back to me with your thoughts. Part of trying to fine the trouble is it doesn't always do it. :?

I had a similar problem to yours on my GL1500 after doing a large amount of maintenance. It turned out that during reassembly, I had inadvertently crimped the vacuum line going to the petcock - so the petcock wasn't getting turned on correctly and only allowing a dribble of fuel to get through.

Read more: viewtopic.php?t=28368#ixzz3dttgdC7e

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:37 pm

Should all that not fix the bike,clean the kill switch contacts and replace the main relay.
Power to run the ignition and fuel pump have to pass through them.
Either one can have a poor contact and randomly drop the volts.

captdecker
2006 GL1800HPN ABS

Postby captdecker » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:59 pm

It was the petcock. The nibble on the actuator diaphragm was not lock into the sealing diaphragm there for it had to have fuel pressure to fully open the value as vacuum was not opening the sealing diaphragm.
writhen instruction not so good, found an online video showing the inter lock on the nibbles. should work now. But that is for tomorrow .

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”