TAKA long ride windshield

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
a@r
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 SE pearl white

TAKA long ride windshield

Postby a@r » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:13 pm

Does anyone have any experience with the taka long ride windshield. I am looking at replacing my stock one with one of these in 18 inch to be able to see over it. Any help or advice you have would be appreciated

Thanks
Alan

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: TAKA long ride windshield

Postby redial » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:14 pm

Looks like you will be the pioneer for this forum. If you proceed, let us know, and how well it performs. Your early, as well as your later observations would be good.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

a@r

Postby a@r » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:48 pm

well it is ordered and shipped just waiting on arrival I will let you all know what I think

jeffmd2
Motorcycle: 2003 1800, 1995 GL1500SE

Postby jeffmd2 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:14 pm

I talked with the people from Long Ride Shields while at the Reno Rendezvous. I was very impressed with the design and quality. They were having a hard time keeping up with the demand. They had a steady stream of customers getting shields installed. My friend got one for his 1500 and he is very happy with it. He can see over the top and he has ample wind protection.

a@r

Postby a@r » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:11 pm

Well it arrived today actually 3 days ahead of schedule. Looks nice and clear, I am in the process of install a rear tire and giving the drivetrain a good going over, should have all put back together and test ride Saturday if my work schedule holds out.

a@r

Postby a@r » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:41 pm

Well tire is on along with all the other maintence items and the new Taka windshield . This windshield looks good on the bike in my opinion will know more after this coming weeks ride to wings over the smokies. That should tell me if it is a keeper and I will give you a report if you are interested

redial

Postby redial » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:18 pm

I for one would be interested in your comparison. Have a good journey.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

a@r

Postby a@r » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:00 pm

Short test drive today to scuff the rear tire before taking of on our trip. 30 miles and so far I love the new windshield. Easy to see over and as far as I can tell less wind buffeting but this was around home might be different on the interstate will keep you informed

redial

Postby redial » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:31 am

Thanks for the initial update. I look forward to more. :D
Len in Kapunda

a@r

Postby a@r » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:09 pm

After a trip to the smokie mountains this weekend and a little bit every riding condition, bright sun, cloud cover, rain, mountain curves and interstate I really love this windshield. It may not be for everybody but after 500 plus miles I think it a keeper. I purchased the 18 inch version so I could see over the top and I do not notice any more turbulence with it that I did with the stock. Although the rain we rain in was not very hard I noticed where the curve at the top of the shield is the rain drops would sort of roll to the edge instead of hanging on the top and then falling onto the dash and radio. If you decide to order one you can purchase a 1500 shield with and 1800 vent hole(vent not included) I went this way since the 1800 vents are more durable and last longer than the stock 1500 ones. These are my humble opinions and hope they help anyone of you if your interested.

Thanks
Alan

otto1
Motorcycle: 2000 gl1500SE
2003Yam wr250
2004 GasGas TXT125

Postby otto1 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:59 pm

Alan, Good to hear you are having a good experience with the TAKA, mine is much different. I have no qualms with LRS, its was the shield itself that was the problem. I am of average height at 5'9 with a 32" inseam. When I installed the 18" TAKA on my 1500 the first thing I noticed was the mounting holes did not line up. That could be easily fixed with at little grinding but should not have been an issue. The big problem was at the lowest setting I was looking right through the top of the shield. I am looking for a shield that I can look over. Furthermore they claim the shield has no distortion at the curve and technically that is true if you hold the shield vertically straight up as it may be mounted on a Harley fairing. As soon as you slant the shield back as it is mounted on 1500, the distortion is quite evident, add this to the fact that I was looking through the top of the shield in the lowest setting it was not working for me. LRS took the shield back with a full refund even though I had removed the plastic covering. If they decide to come out with a 14 or 16" shield I will try again. For now I will continue to ride with my cut down stock shield.

I have had the Windbender HP on my previous 1500 and it looks like I will have to go that route again. I like the price of the TAKA compared to the windbender, that's for sure!..

Thanks for your input, thought I'd add mine.

OTTO

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”