Supplementary Hazard Lighting

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
erkmann
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500

Supplementary Hazard Lighting

Postby erkmann » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:39 pm

'97 GL1500, recently got Hazard Light switch operating after extensive spraying with contact cleaner and eventual teardown of switch into 3 springs, small C-shaped copper contacts, etc. Whew! Glad it all went back together....and WORKED!

Now, I want to put four Feniex T-6 LED modules on my bike as supplementary hazard lighting to aid in my role as a Road Captain on large organized rides. These modules purportedly consume 1.2 amps/module, meaning I'd be inducing an additional load of 4.8 amps on the circuit.

Question:
1. Would existing circuit tolerate this additional load?
2. If no, would replacing all four turn indicator bulbs with LED's buy me the amperage I need?
3. Should I just cut bait and add an additional circuit just for the supplementary lights?

Thanks in advance to Virgilmobile, WingAdmin, and all the other electrical wizards on this forum.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: Supplementary Hazard Lighting

Postby ct1500 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:53 am

Do it right the first time and install all additional loads on their own circuit with a relay direct at battery. If you want the additional draw to be a wash in the long run it would be prudent to replace brake light bulbs with the 1157 LED which is very easy to do.

More problems are created with turn lights to LED's and flashers/cancellation problems than justified.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:53 am

I just put one of these power plates on my 1500 to help facilitate things just like that.
Another justification was that I wouldn't have to look for someplace to tie in or splice (don't want to be a rigger :lol: ).

WingAdmin did a review and install guide of it here.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:25 am

erkmann wrote:'97 GL1500, recently got Hazard Light switch operating after extensive spraying with contact cleaner and eventual teardown of switch into 3 springs, small C-shaped copper contacts, etc. Whew! Glad it all went back together....and WORKED!

Now, I want to put four Feniex T-6 LED modules on my bike as supplementary hazard lighting to aid in my role as a Road Captain on large organized rides. These modules purportedly consume 1.2 amps/module, meaning I'd be inducing an additional load of 4.8 amps on the circuit.

Question:
1. Would existing circuit tolerate this additional load?
2. If no, would replacing all four turn indicator bulbs with LED's buy me the amperage I need?
3. Should I just cut bait and add an additional circuit just for the supplementary lights?

Thanks in advance to Virgilmobile, WingAdmin, and all the other electrical wizards on this forum.

I think you're looking at setting up the supplementary lighting to be extra-bright hazard lights, and therefore want them to flash along with your hazard lights, correct? If so, then wiring them directly to the battery via a relay is not going to get you what you want - you want them wired in with the turn signals, so that they do whatever the turn signals are doing. So for your questions:

1. Probably. Stock GL1500 have two turn signal bulbs per side - one at the front, and one on the trunk. At 30 watts (2.5 amps) each, that's 60 watts, or 5 amps total. Owners commonly add trunk-mounted turn signal bulbs, which is another 30 watts (2.5 amps) per side, for a total of 90 watts, or 7.5 amps. If you have three signal lights already, I would say no. If you don't, then yes - adding two 1.2 amp LED modules would be the same as adding a single 30 watt light, which we already know works fine.

2. Very likely, yes. Assuming each of the LEDs draws 1.2 amps, even if you had existing front fairing, saddlebag and trunk turn signals, plus your two auxiliary LEDs, you're at 6 amps per side, which we know is well below the 7.5 amps current owners commonly use with no problems.

3. If you like - this gives you the option of adding even more in the future. If you do so, make sure you use quality relays that are switched by the existing turn signal circuits. They will be continually switched on-off-on-off, so cheap relays will not last long. This might even be a good application for solid-state relays that never wear out.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”