Battery died while riding. Hard to start

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Triumphtriple
Motorcycle: GL1500

Battery died while riding. Hard to start

Postby Triumphtriple » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:48 pm

Hello everyone. I am working on my good friends GL1500. His bike broke down while riding and I trailered it to my garage. Not sure where to start and having worked on his wing, I know its not like working on other bikes.

He told me, he came out from work and the bike was dead. He got it jump started, truck was running...ughhh. He rode it down the road about 2 miles and he said it was was running rough. He turned on the choke and it ran for another mile then just died. It just cranked and cranked.

When I got there I tested the battery and it was at 7.8v. We let it charge on jumper cables... with the vehicle not running. It got to 13.2 in about 1 minute. Thats not good. Well he cranked it for about 10 seconds and it started with the choke on. As soon as he turned off the choke it died. We couldn't get it started again and put it on the trailer.

So far I have check to see if fuel was in it. Of course checked to make sure the kill switch wasn't on. I charged the battery for a day. It was reading 14v. I started it with the choke on, since it wouldn't start with it off. BTW, its 90 degrees here and choke shouldn't be needed. The multimeter connected to the battery showed 15v. I let it run for 30 seconds and as soon as I turned off the choke it died.

I worked on it when he got it last year. It ran great. No problems.

So any thoughts before I spin my wheels on this.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Battery died while riding. Hard to start

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:47 pm

Nothing special.The wing needs a good battery in it to run.Jumping it may get it started but if the battery has failed it probably won't stay running very long on a charger or jumper cables..
The ignition system needs to stay above 11 volts.Jumper cables and chargers usually won't provide enough power to keep the volts up very well.
Expect to have to load test the battery and replace it if it fails.
Next is the charging system...The 15 volts you measured...When was that? Bike running?Charger hooked up?
15 volts is high for a "normal" charging alternator with a good battery.I expect 14.4 max.My 88 floats right at 14.1.
The last question...Why was the battery dead?
Was something left on?
Was it just a old battery?
Was the battery boiled dry from overcharging?This happened to me with using a Walmart charger.

Triumphtriple

Postby Triumphtriple » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:08 pm

virgilmobile wrote:Nothing special.The wing needs a good battery in it to run.Jumping it may get it started but if the battery has failed it probably won't stay running very long on a charger or jumper cables..
The ignition system needs to stay above 11 volts.Jumper cables and chargers usually won't provide enough power to keep the volts up very well.
Expect to have to load test the battery and replace it if it fails.
Next is the charging system...The 15 volts you measured...When was that? Bike running?Charger hooked up?

That was with it running. No charger hooked up.

15 volts is high for a "normal" charging alternator with a good battery.I expect 14.4 max.My 88 floats right at 14.1.
The last question...Why was the battery dead?

It was likely left on while it was parked

Was it just a old battery?

It was replaced in the spring.

Was the battery boiled dry from overcharging?This happened to me with using a Walmart charger.

I don't believe so. He keeps it on a battery tender brand charger. The battery now fully charged seems to turn the engine very easily.

Triumphtriple

Postby Triumphtriple » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:25 pm

So I just tried it again and it fired right up. Turned off the choke and it kept running. Turned it off and on again, it fired right up. No choke. I will let the battery sit overnight not charging and see if it hold the charge.

Now I have another question. Is it possible to hook up a buzzer so when the acc position is on it makes noise, but not when it is in the "ON" position? I guess he has left it on the acc position a few times and I did it myself a few times today.

gordonv
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
1999 GL1500CF
1982 GL1100A

Postby gordonv » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:41 pm

Would having a buzzer on when it is in the ACC position help? I mean, you could add a buzzer to it, but every time you want to run acc for the radio or pumping the shocks, then you'll have the buzzing also. I would get tired of that very quickly.

You don't have one in your car, or need one, why on your bike?

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:25 pm

Having read that...I suppose a circuit could be made to operate something that would alert you that the Acc. is on...
What you hook to it would be your discression.Perhaps a bright blinking LED?
The circuit or part used is easy...A simple relay..The same kind used by the bike or lights.
Attach the bike to the coil terminals of the relay..One wire goes to the Acc. terminal..The other would connect to the "key on" circuit...Easily picked up at the fuse block or wiring on the bike...Almost any fuse that has power only with the key on will do.Test first.
In the Acc.position,power feeds the relay coil and the rest of the bike provides the ground...When the key is turned on,both terminals go to 12 volts and the relay turns off...
Use the switch contacts to operate whatever you would like...how bout a electronic chime?

cavedragon
Motorcycle: Gl1500

Postby cavedragon » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:12 pm

1. Check kill switch wire connections. These connections are held on by Phillips Head screws & if they back off the bike will crank but not run, It will also shut down the bike while running.
2.Put a volt gauge on your bike . If bike not charging battery good chance alternator has problems. I replaced brushes in the existing alternator that had worn down. $5 fix

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”