Low Budget lighing enhancements

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
jtornese
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

Low Budget lighing enhancements

Postby jtornese » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:45 pm

I have been replacing most of the bulbs on my 93 Aspencade with L.E.D.'s and adding accent L.E.D. lighting such as the saddlebag and trunk upgrade that I learned from this forum. I have begun adding some extra lighting to be run when the bike is parked. I got a package of 2 L.e.d. light strips at Walmart in the automotive dept as "Clearance" These were maked $25.00 reduced to $9.00! They were green and blue with a blinking effect and approx 12" in length. I had read about the Rollin Eyes headlight enhancement and set out to do a low cost similar effect. I inserted the blinking light strips in the channels between the headlamp and the position lights. Then I folded the 1/2 that was sticking out accros the top of the headlamp glass. The both met pretty much right in the middle. Perfect length! I found a Pack of 194
l.e.d's called "multi-color" at Pep Boys. Cost for the 2 pack was $12.99. I put these in the position lights. I tapped both the 194's and the led's into the wiring i ran for my cigarette lighter, and used a lighted toggle switch which I mounted up on the plastic piece between the tank and ignition. I tried to add a cell phone video to this post but it doesnt seem to work. Here is a link to youtube to see the effect. Note: The color is washed oyut in the video. In person the center resembles a glass block with the lights inside of it.

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Re: Low Budget lighing enhancements

Postby CMReynolds1 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:39 am

Looks pretty cool. I would be careful using it while driving. An energetic cop may consider it some type of illegal flasher. Never know how they interpret things.
Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:34 pm

+1 on both points ! Looks great and do not use on the road. . . .but I am sure you know that. :D
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

jtornese
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby jtornese » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:24 am

I have it on a toggle switch for use when parked. Soon I am going to make lighted antenna masts with chaser L.e.d.'s also for static display.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”