Progressive 416 air shocks

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Moggy
Motorcycle: 1989GL1500K,CBR1000FJ,CB500Four,CB550Four

Progressive 416 air shocks

Postby Moggy » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:11 am

Hi All,
My First time on the forum.I have just fitted a pair of progressive 416 air shocks to my GL1500k goldwing, does anybody have a recommendation for air pressure in these(solo,with passenger and fully laden) or just use the standard Honda recommendations? On the original Honda shock i run 32psi solo and 50 psi two up and fully laden.

P.s A bit of information to you all in regards to Avon Venom x tyres, i had a pair fitted to my bike(front had done 600 miles, rear had done 300 miles) the sidewalls had cracked and split(losing pressure in the front),good job i checked them.I contacted Avon through my supplier and they are reimbursing me the cost of these tyres(i have now had Avon Cobras fitted).So if you have these tyres fitted i would recommend you check them.

Moggy Tamworth,England,UK

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Progressive 416 air shocks

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:25 pm

Moggy wrote:Hi All,
My First time on the forum.I have just fitted a pair of progressive 416 air shocks to my GL1500k goldwing, does anybody have a recommendation for air pressure in these(solo,with passenger and fully laden) or just use the standard Honda recommendations? On the original Honda shock i run 32psi solo and 50 psi two up and fully laden.

P.s A bit of information to you all in regards to Avon Venom x tyres, i had a pair fitted to my bike(front had done 600 miles, rear had done 300 miles) the sidewalls had cracked and split(losing pressure in the front),good job i checked them.I contacted Avon through my supplier and they are reimbursing me the cost of these tyres(i have now had Avon Cobras fitted).So if you have these tyres fitted i would recommend you check them.

Moggy Tamworth,England,UK

It depends on your load. The point behind altering the air pressure is to set the suspension sag. Suspension sag is the amount the shocks are compressed when taking the load of the bike, rider, passenger, and any luggage. The goal is to have the suspension sag set to 1/3 of the total suspension travel. The total rear suspension travel on a GL1500 is 105mm, so the suspension sag should be around 35mm.

With the bike on the center stand, measure the distance between the rear axle and the frame of the bike. Make sure your measuring tape is perfectly vertical when doing this.

Next, with the bike off the center stand and the rider, passenger and luggage on the bike, take the measurement again. The second measurement should be 35mm less than the first measurement. If it is less than 35mm, increase the air pressure. If it is more than 35mm, decrease the air pressure. Once you have this number, write it down.

You can do the same thing with just you on the bike, with a trailer hooked up to the bike, or however many different configurations in which you normally ride the bike. That way, you'll have a set of air pressures that are correct for your bike, with the common loads you use.

Every few years, as the springs wear a bit (or as you and/or your passenger gain or lose weight) you can do this again and update your pressure numbers.

As for the tires - what was the age of your tires?

Moggy
Motorcycle: 1989GL1500K,CBR1000FJ,CB500Four,CB550Four

Re: Progressive 416 air shocks

Postby Moggy » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:49 pm

Thank you WingAdmin for your reply, i will work from this.
In regards to the tyre ages: Front manufactured 5112, fitted September 2013, Rear manufactured 4313, fitted July 2014, bike was stored over the winter with wheels off the ground,bike has only been used during summer time(when we get one in England).

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”