New Goldwing owner with general maintenance questions

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
jjbarnone
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500A Aspencade

New Goldwing owner with general maintenance questions

Postby jjbarnone » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:14 pm

Hi All,

I recently bought a 1992 GL1500 Aspencade with 65k miles on him with the plan of taking a cross-country tour starting in Nevada where I live and go up to Sturgis then clockwise around the country - New England states down to the Florida Keys, then back to Nevada.

The bike runs pretty smooth so far but I really haven't had a chance to take it on a longer distance ride to discover any quirks. It has new tires and the last owner said they did brake work on it. Aside from that, I don't have any maintenance history on the bike, so my question would be, what would you guys replace or do for prevention?

Here are some things I'm planning on doing:

- Replacing the timing belts - should I replace the water pump as well - or anything else in this area?

- Any specific gaskets/bolts/widgets/etc that should be replaced for good measure - or to purchase as I replace parts that use gaskets (broad question, sorry)?

- Flushing/replacing all the fluids / coolant / oil / oil filter.

- Replacing the spark plugs (but keeping the wires if they are good).

- Cleaning the air filter if it's a K&N or replace it if not.

- Replacing the battery - turns over fine, but don't want to be stranded if it looses crank in the middle of nowhere. Don't think I could bump start a beast like this.

- Would you clean out the carbs or just run Sea Foam through? The bike is running fine (good throttle response/idle/etc and I don't want to do extra work that isn't needed.

- I have noticed when shifting from 3rd to 4th there's a very subtle ratchet feel before it engages - lasts less than a second - and it goes into gear fine. All the other gears clunk into gear like 'typical' shift feel/sound. I'm thinking an oil change may have some impact, but who knows. (And I assume this is a wet clutch system - I will research everything...)

- Anything else to do?

I know the sky's the limit, but my goal is to not break down in the middle of nowhere on the trip. Not that I mind, but I hate to think about the expenses of paying a tow and mechanic to do work I could do beforehand.

Finally, I will post pictures the next few days when I get a chance...

Thanks,

JJ

deepsix777
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade trike

Re: New Goldwing owner with general maintenance questions

Postby deepsix777 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:33 pm

While you have it apart to change the air filter change the sub filter and the curise filter. when I changed mine they crumbled in my hand. Also run some Sea-foam in your oil before you change for like 50 or 100 miles to get the curd out of it. if it is running ok just add some Sea-foam to the gas and run it. here is a link for the sub & curise filter viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11036 And flush your clutch fluid. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10988

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Postby wingman12 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:53 pm

Good evening jar one and welcome to the best gw site you can find. I have a 99 1500 and I know you will love your new ride. Yes on the timing belts only because of the age not the miles. Has the previous owner (po) given you any idea of what he has/ has not done maintaince wise? NV to SD then to New England and then to FL and back to NV is somewhere around the 5500 mile mark, and breakdowns should not be part of the trip. Since this ride is new to you, leave no stone unturned to insure a safe and memorable trip. Some things to think about, age of tires, brake pads, has calipers ever been rebuild, last brake fluid flush, miles on tires, antifreeze age, is there seeping from water pump weep hole, last oil & filter change, did po use oil or synthetic oil, when were carbs sync, change plugs, air filter, run sea foam for several tanks, when was the final drive oil changed. If you are having a shop do these checks, chose one that will do the research by the hour, most of these are easily done by you at no cost. I am sure I have forgotten a few things, but you have a day's work ahead of you anyway. I hope these suggestions help, and enjoy your safe and memorial trip. :D :D

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:34 am

Also check and or re-torque steering head bearings, wheel bearings. Pull, check and lube with Moly60 the rear drive assembly. Go out on highway and test the cruise control for proper operation before you leave. Look in the How To section here for proper procedures to do these things. Keep a close eye on the 4th gear problem. The older 1500s can develop a shift fork problem. Read about it here.
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1500gearsfix.htm
No idea if you have this problem, just a heads up.

Welcome to the forum.

Tom
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:00 am

For your shifting trouble,get the shifter shaft stabilizer.
It really makes a difference.Mine included.
Get a couple of extra relays.they can suddenly quit.get farmiliar where they are.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:36 pm

Alternator failures on the 1500 are a somewhat common occurence that will leave you stopped dead by the side of the road unlike other systems where at least you can still move. At 65k you are on the cusp when problems can start to show.

Test charging system and install permanent volt meter on bike then remove alternator for cleaning and inspection which I strongly recommend be done for continued trouble free service.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

jjbarnone
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby jjbarnone » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:44 pm

Thanks for the great advice everyone...I've got some homework ahead as I start working on the bike.

gordonv
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
1999 GL1500CF
1982 GL1100A

Postby gordonv » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:24 pm

Timing belts as already mentioned.

As for the seafoam, buy Chevron gas, it has Techron instead. If you don't have any problems, no reason to go there.

Forget about the battery. Get a volt meter for the bike, so you can monitor it instead. My alt started to give me trouble, only 61K miles. Took it out, cleaned the brushes. It was only dirty, brushes still have some long life on them. Bought the brushes and will change over during the winter down time. Have read they need to be cleaned approx. every 30K miles.

Buy Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic. Diesel oil. Should be good for your whole trip without a change. Exactly 1 US gal into the case. Aftermarket filter a lot less expensive too.

Tires you've already done. Change your hydraulic fluids (brake/clutch), and the rear drive.

Document, and then drive it for the enjoyment.

Have a great time.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:10 am

I have one big concern the 1500's before 97 had fourth gear issues..IE it going out completely. You said you noticed some issues going from 3rd to 4th..I'd be worried yours is starting to go out. There is no fix w/o rebuilding the tranny or installing a another engine preferably from 97 to 2000 which can be cheaper and faster... You can ride it w/o fourth gear just double shifting to 5th..but still an issue for a long trip.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:51 pm

When you install the shifter brace, make sure the shift shaft seal is not leaking....................
Bill

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:47 am

bstig60 wrote:When you install the shifter brace, make sure the shift shaft seal is not leaking....................

The brace comes with a new shifter seal now.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:13 am

Yes, mine did come with a new seal. I just wanted to make sure he checked it. In my case the seal was good so I didn't replace it. I still have it here somewhere.
Bill

pizzaboy
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby pizzaboy » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:21 am

I just took a 2 week 6600 mile trip on my 97. I had fuel pump issues. I was able to fix motel side via help from late 80's honda accord pump from o' Reilly's. I'd carry a spare...but a used one...or new if you can find it. Also 300 miles after I got back my alt left me to rodeside...but only a couple miles from home! So...I got lucky. The pump if it goes out won't leave you stranded...give it 20 minutes to cool down and keep tank as full as possible. So I'd make sure charging system is up to snuff. And I guess there is a couple relays that are common to go out. I keep meaning to pick those up too...just keep getting lucky..haha. Have fun!

pizzaboy
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby pizzaboy » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:23 am

I forget to mention my pump went out at 47000 miles. And alt at 51000.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”