Light em up!

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
shadow02
Motorcycle: 1988 GL 1500

Light em up!

Postby shadow02 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:32 am

Good day fellow WingNUtz! My question is in regards to bag lights and brake lights for my 1988 GL 1500. Has any fellow Winger in the empire ever replace the brake lights with LED lights? I know there are articles replacing them with strings but I'm talking about individual lamps. Example: Left rear brake light 1157 12V 32/3cp +1 (original lamp) would be replace with LED what? Little side bag lights would be replaced with LED lamp(s) what?
Any and all suggestions are welcome. Super brights have a brake lamp (1157 Switchback LED Bulb - Dual Function 60 SMD LED Tower - B Type - BAY15D Retrofitreplacement) but I need to know if it needs a diffuser and resistor?
Now this LED lamp says duel function? Does this mean it warks as a directional as well?
Ride safe, ride often-
Biker GoPa

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Light em up!

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:19 pm

I did that before I replaced them with the strings of LEDs. It was good, but I had repeated problems with the LEDs failing and coming loose in the sockets, and I was unhappy with the brightness. That's what led me to replace them all to light up the entire lens. There may be different ones available now that work better - but some of the lights are mounted top up inside the lights, whereas most LEDs shine maximum light out the top, so the most light is not shining out the back of the lens.

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Postby CMReynolds1 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:58 pm

Can't speak to your question, but I found this on CycleMax. Maybe it will help along with the input from the group?

http://cyclemax.com/gl1500_lights
Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

shadow02

Postby shadow02 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:33 pm

Ok WingAdmin, that makes sense. Any recommendations on one make of string over another? And is the best wiring format like the article in our DYI section? Thanks for the feedback-
Ride safe, ride often-
WingAdmin wrote:I did that before I replaced them with the strings of LEDs. It was good, but I had repeated problems with the LEDs failing and coming loose in the sockets, and I was unhappy with the brightness. That's what led me to replace them all to light up the entire lens. There may be different ones available now that work better - but some of the lights are mounted top up inside the lights, whereas most LEDs shine maximum light out the top, so the most light is not shining out the back of the lens.

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:49 pm

I got 4 of these to replace my tail lights, in Red, a year ago. They have had no problems, and are just a bright as stock. About $15 a pair at Walmart. They also have an 1156 version in yellow that I had hoped to use for turn signals, but with only one bulb replaced, the signals still had the rapid blinking issue. I thought leaving 1 bulb incandescent, the signals would not have that issue, but no luck. No big deal, the turn signals are only used intermittently. The LED brake lights certainly lighten the electrical load on the alternator.

I have also added some strip LED tail/stop lights to the rear end. LED for LED, these are the brightest ones I came across. I put them in the saddle bag and trunk reflectors for continuous lighting, and installed a set in the lower center reflector, wired with a resistor and diodes, for combination tail/stop lighting. Very bright. All this combined with a tail light modulator gets plenty of attention.

http://www.amazon.com/Alpena-77702-Red- ... B00D1SWPTM

That company makes other, less bright LED strips. Be sure they are the "MAX" version.
I also added some green ones under the bags for ground lighting. These photos don't really do justice to the quality of the effect, but it gives you an idea.

shadow02

Postby shadow02 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:48 pm

Thanks for the info Bluewaterhooker, valuable info! Your bike is well lit and that's what I'm looking for. I want to be seen ... a lot!
Ride safe, ride often-

Bluewaterhooker0 wrote:I got 4 of these to replace my tail lights, in Red, a year ago. They have had no problems, and are just a bright as stock. About $15 a pair at Walmart. They also have an 1156 version in yellow that I had hoped to use for turn signals, but with only one bulb replaced, the signals still had the rapid blinking issue. I thought leaving 1 bulb incandescent, the signals would not have that issue, but no luck. No big deal, the turn signals are only used intermittently. The LED brake lights certainly lighten the electrical load on the alternator.
Capture.JPG

I have also added some strip LED tail/stop lights to the rear end. LED for LED, these are the brightest ones I came across. I put them in the saddle bag and trunk reflectors for continuous lighting, and installed a set in the lower center reflector, wired with a resistor and diodes, for combination tail/stop lighting. Very bright. All this combined with a tail light modulator gets plenty of attention.

http://www.amazon.com/Alpena-77702-Red- ... B00D1SWPTM

That company makes other, less bright LED strips. Be sure they are the "MAX" version.
I also added some green ones under the bags for ground lighting. These photos don't really do justice to the quality of the effect, but it gives you an idea.
DSC_0027.JPG

DSC_0021.JPG

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:54 pm

I did the LED strings on the trunk and bags. I also took the schematic that the admin posted and came up with a circuit board that is 1.3" x 1.3" but haven't built it yet.
Attachments
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

zamboni920
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE with Hannigan 2+2 sidecar

Postby zamboni920 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:17 am

The rapid blink signal light issue could be solved with a resistor. Those are sold for this purpose but you need one per bulb, not just one per side. Some cars have sensors for a light out, and that sensor picks up on led bulbs, making the system think a bulb is out. The resistor simulates the higher power draw of an old glow bulb, so I do not think you save power this way, but the led will last longer.
As for single or dual function bulbs, a dual function bulb should work fine in a single use socket, but not the other way around.

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade 4Sale soon
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Postby Charlie1Horse » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:30 pm

Try these- from SYNETIC on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-1157-2057-High-Power-2835-Chip-6000K-Bright-White-LED-Turn-Signal-Light-Bulbs-/261475154995?hash=item3ce1223c33&vxp=mtr .

I bought them almost a year ago and am really satisfied with them on my 92 GL1500I. I changed the rear and did not change the flasher but, I think when I change the front I will have to go with an electronic flasher. The first ones I bought at Auto Zone but they did not work on my 86 GL1200A because the bright (STOP) was mostly on the end of the bulb and the position of the bulb in the lamp negated the stop light. These will light up good all over and give great visibility. The seller also has the 1156 replacements to match as well as red and amber replacements. Good luck.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”