Spoiler light LED replacement

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Spoiler light LED replacement

Postby Uncle Fester » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:55 pm

Okay, just to refresh, a week or two ago I went out to my bike for a AM ride, uncovered it only to find the red lens from the spoiler & LED strip where on the ground. After some looking at it, I realized the "glue" that is used to hold it all together had dried or what ever and lost its hold. Of course the wires for the LEDs had broken too.

I decided to try a experiment and buy some flexable LED strip I found at a local hobby shop for $4.99 a foot. As a side note, we measured out what I needed, then the shop guy added another 6" or so, "just in case". Any way, this stuff has a self adhesive backing so I decided to attatch the LED strip as it was from the factory.

I used the sticky back to attach them to the backing, then added a small band of shrink wrap at each end, just for extra hold.

I have to say, I am NOT real happy with the light output of this brand of strip, atleast for daytime riding / braking, but will still be a help at night when I brake as I wired them as brake only due to the fact I was not happy with the brightness change when the factory LEDs where wired as run / stop lights.

I have added a few pics, to TRY to help make sence of what I have written here , LOL, I am going to try this again with a strip of MAX LEDs in a month or two.
Attachments

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Uncle Fester

Re: Spoiler light LED replacement

Postby Uncle Fester » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:57 pm

To show the brightness, or lack of, of these LEDs. . . . . Now this is on a sunny day, outside in direct sunlight, so maybe will be better when mounted on the bike ? I will post a night time pic of them off and on tonight. . . .
Attachments
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

GillesGLW
Motorcycle: 1989 GL 1500

Postby GillesGLW » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:10 am

I an currently in the same situation, I need to replace my spoiler led.

Could you please tell me what these max leds are ?

Thanks

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:26 pm

MAX LEDs are strips of LEDs you can buy from Autozone, Walmart and many other places that are about twice as bright as regular strip LEDs. If you are going to do like I did, I highly recomend then as the ones I used could not be seen during the day. . . .
I was able to resolder my factory light bar that came on the spoiler, and just wired it as a stop light, REALLY grabs attention now, and once I add a flasher to the spoiler light, should really grab your eye .

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:15 pm

Do a search for "Alpena Max LED". That should provide some options. I've used them in red, and green. Really bright light output. Easily use able for brake lighting.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:30 pm

Just as an FYI, Cyclemax has a replacement available:

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500_ ... ight/85913

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:00 pm

That would have been nice, BUT mine has a three tab light, not the four tab they carry.

GillesGLW

Postby GillesGLW » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:54 am

I went to see what the Alpena max leds are. Quite impressive! I will definitively consider them for the saddlebag lights I need to replace.

For the time being for my brake led lights, I made the mistake a few months ago to order the 4 tabs lights while I actually have a 3 tabs one.
The good news is that the led lights built in the 4 tabs has exactly the same size as the 3 tabs one. So the next step for me will be to carefully open my spoiler lights and replace the leds inside.

It will just be a question of being careful when opening the lights... I will keep you posted :-)

Cheers!

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:11 am

Please do keep us posted, here or start a new thread, but keep us posted. Are you going to wire the spoiler as running & brake lights, or as brake lights only (like I did) ? I like the in you face of brake light only, one second there is no light there, next second. . . .hello, I am stopping now ! Lol

GillesGLW

Postby GillesGLW » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:52 am

Yes, my intention is to have both running and brake lights. The existing wiring that I have with the 4 tabs I bought has 3 wires, so I assume I can have running and break lights.

Just need to find the time to install the light. Hope by the end of the month it should be ready.

GillesGLW

Postby GillesGLW » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:01 am

ok, so here is an update..... I managed to get the led lights from the "wrong" spoiler light. As I was not planning to use it anymore, I broke the black plastic part on the back of the led lights in order to access the leds.

That was pretty much easy to do. Then I figured out when unmounting my led lights that one of the tab on the back of the light (holding it to the spoiler) was broken. So far, not a big issue.

But when I tried to remove the black part (which is glued to the red one), the red part almost broke in 2....because it was already damaged and I didn't see that.

So I might try to fix/glue/seal it, but my fear is that somehow water could still go into it with the time. So I'm considering now buying one on Ebay. That should be easy to find, no?

Thanks,
Gilles

GillesGLW

Postby GillesGLW » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:06 am

not on ebay, but there is the product: http://www.spoilerlights.com/spoilerlig ... ler-light/

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:43 am

Gilles, NICE FIND ! I have saved that link incase mine dies and needs replaced. . . .

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”