unwanted shutoff


Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
ceo
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:12 pm
Location: baltimore Ohio
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade

unwanted shutoff

Postby ceo » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:27 pm



My 95 Aspencade has developed a knack for shutting off going down the highway with no warning . It only has 57k on it an is aways garaged , heated in the winter time , never been down . It imediately starts right back up and you might get 5mi or 50 or 5ft you never know . I've had the reverse switch hang up before but thats not it this time . I've given it the shake test for the bank angle sensor with no result and am kinda scratching my head at this point . I've heard the sidestand switch can do this and have put it in the up position and unbolted it and rode about 75 mi with no problem and the next day it din't make it 10mi and it stared acting up worse than ever dying about 6 times in about 2mi . Any ideas would be much appreciated



User avatar
Aussie81Interstate
Posts: 682
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:34 am
Location: Penrith Australia
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Re: unwanted shutoff

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:48 pm

Is it an electrical shut off? - I mean you lose ignition lights or does the motor just stop running and you still have power to lights/ blinkers etc?

User avatar
RBGERSON
Posts: 2612
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:57 am
Location: SCOTTSDALE, AZ
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: unwanted shutoff

Postby RBGERSON » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:03 am

sure sounds like a "short" in the side stand circuit..maybe not the switch but the wiring to or from it??? Just a guess...
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

User avatar
ct1500
Posts: 813
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Glastonbury,CT
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
Contact:

Re: unwanted shutoff

Postby ct1500 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:42 pm

It is not a fuel problem because it starts right back up.

It would be electrical and the first spot to start looking would be around the 30A fuse of starter relay A for melting and poor connection. Jiggle the wires around there while running to see if it will stall. And because it got worse which might be coincidence the side stand switch itself.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

creedfire
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:06 pm
Location: Cameron Park, California
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500SE
Pearl Bermuda Green

Re: unwanted shutoff

Postby creedfire » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:52 pm

I was exiting the freeway and the whole bike went dead. Nothing electrical would work. As I started to walk it to a safe spot it all came back on. once I got to a safe spot I check the battery and the negative terminal came loose. simple fix and it didn't happen again. Sometimes it is that simple!

User avatar
ct1500
Posts: 813
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Glastonbury,CT
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
Contact:

Re: unwanted shutoff

Postby ct1500 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:14 am

And of course the kill switch itself.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

User avatar
virgilmobile
Posts: 7647
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Denham Springs,La.
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: unwanted shutoff

Postby virgilmobile » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:03 am

Without confirming that your loosing volts to the ignition,you can resurface the kill switch and replace the main relay.

User avatar
joeincalif
Posts: 404
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:39 am
Location: San Jacinto, Calif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Re: unwanted shutoff

Postby joeincalif » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:15 pm

When you restart the bike can you just push the starter button or do you have to turn the ignition switch on and off? Also can you pop the clutch while you rolling and will it restart then?
Image
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

User avatar
robb
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:46 pm
Location: Lexington, North Carolina
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Re: unwanted shutoff

Postby robb » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:49 am

Have the battery load tested and chech terminals. It is possibly a bad cell interrupting the voltage flow. Could even be lack of fluid in battery, maintenance free does not mean it will not go low on fluid. Similar problem on my 89 so battery was replaced with gel cell.

User avatar
lamasue
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 7:57 pm
Location: fayette,maine
Motorcycle: 2000 1500se

Re: unwanted shutoff

Postby lamasue » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:11 am

Ive heard of dog bone fuse heating up and if its cracked shuts off bike

ceo
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:12 pm
Location: baltimore Ohio
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: unwanted shutoff

Postby ceo » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:45 am

joeincalif wrote:When you restart the bike can you just push the starter button or do you have to turn the ignition switch on and off? Also can you pop the clutch while you rolling and will it restart then?

No when it shuts off it kills everything and you have to turn the key off and back on . I did have the positive battery terminal come loose this year and thought that was all of my trouble but it wasn't . Thankyou for your reply

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: unwanted shutoff

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:14 pm

ceo wrote:
joeincalif wrote:When you restart the bike can you just push the starter button or do you have to turn the ignition switch on and off? Also can you pop the clutch while you rolling and will it restart then?

No when it shuts off it kills everything and you have to turn the key off and back on . I did have the positive battery terminal come loose this year and thought that was all of my trouble but it wasn't . Thankyou for your reply


OK, let's separate the symptoms:

If the ENGINE shuts off, and in order to get it to start again, you first have to turn the key off and then back on again, then you have a bad bank angle sensor.

If the engine AND everything else shuts off (i.e. radio, lights, etc.), and in order to get it to start again you first have to turn the key off and back on again, more than likely the problem is a bad key switch. It's possible you have a different problem (loose battery terminal, failing battery wire, failing master fuse), but my money would be on the key switch.

ceo
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:12 pm
Location: baltimore Ohio
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: unwanted shutoff

Postby ceo » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:52 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
ceo wrote:
joeincalif wrote:When you restart the bike can you just push the starter button or do you have to turn the ignition switch on and off? Also can you pop the clutch while you rolling and will it restart then?

No when it shuts off it kills everything and you have to turn the key off and back on . I did have the positive battery terminal come loose this year and thought that was all of my trouble but it wasn't . Thankyou for your reply


OK, let's separate the symptoms:

If the ENGINE shuts off, and in order to get it to start again, you first have to turn the key off and then back on again, then you have a bad bank angle sensor.

If the engine AND everything else shuts off (i.e. radio, lights, etc.), and in order to get it to start again you first have to turn the key off and back on again, more than likely the problem is a bad key switch. It's possible you have a different problem (loose battery terminal, failing battery wire, failing master fuse), but my money would be on the key switch.

Yes it does seem to kill everything , nothing is lit across the dash even when you find neutral no green no oil light just like someone flipped the disconnect switch on the back of a drag car . Thanks again for the reply

User avatar
joeincalif
Posts: 404
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:39 am
Location: San Jacinto, Calif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Re: unwanted shutoff

Postby joeincalif » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:10 am

I would start by replacing the bank angel switch.
Image
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: unwanted shutoff

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:17 am

ceo wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:OK, let's separate the symptoms:

If the ENGINE shuts off, and in order to get it to start again, you first have to turn the key off and then back on again, then you have a bad bank angle sensor.

If the engine AND everything else shuts off (i.e. radio, lights, etc.), and in order to get it to start again you first have to turn the key off and back on again, more than likely the problem is a bad key switch. It's possible you have a different problem (loose battery terminal, failing battery wire, failing master fuse), but my money would be on the key switch.

Yes it does seem to kill everything , nothing is lit across the dash even when you find neutral no green no oil light just like someone flipped the disconnect switch on the back of a drag car . Thanks again for the reply


OK, this definitely sounds like a bad ignition switch, NOT the bank angle sensor. That's where I would focus my attention.

User avatar
RBGERSON
Posts: 2612
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:57 am
Location: SCOTTSDALE, AZ
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: unwanted shutoff

Postby RBGERSON » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:28 am

You might try jiggling the key w/o turning if off and on if that works..for sure the ignition switch. I had similar problems on an 1100 turn out to be worn contacts on the switch I rebuilt it by adding some solder to the contacts worked for years after until I sold the bike..
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

ceo
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:12 pm
Location: baltimore Ohio
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: unwanted shutoff

Postby ceo » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:12 am

WingAdmin wrote:
ceo wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:OK, let's separate the symptoms:

If the ENGINE shuts off, and in order to get it to start again, you first have to turn the key off and then back on again, then you have a bad bank angle sensor.

If the engine AND everything else shuts off (i.e. radio, lights, etc.), and in order to get it to start again you first have to turn the key off and back on again, more than likely the problem is a bad key switch. It's possible you have a different problem (loose battery terminal, failing battery wire, failing master fuse), but my money would be on the key switch.

Yes it does seem to kill everything , nothing is lit across the dash even when you find neutral no green no oil light just like someone flipped the disconnect switch on the back of a drag car . Thanks again for the reply


OK, this definitely sounds like a bad ignition switch, NOT the bank angle sensor. That's where I would focus my attention.

WingAdmin wrote:
ceo wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:OK, let's separate the symptoms:

If the ENGINE shuts off, and in order to get it to start again, you first have to turn the key off and then back on again, then you have a bad bank angle sensor.

If the engine AND everything else shuts off (i.e. radio, lights, etc.), and in order to get it to start again you first have to turn the key off and back on again, more than likely the problem is a bad key switch. It's possible you have a different problem (loose battery terminal, failing battery wire, failing master fuse), but my money would be on the key switch.

Yes it does seem to kill everything , nothing is lit across the dash even when you find neutral no green no oil light just like someone flipped the disconnect switch on the back of a drag car . Thanks again for the reply


OK, this definitely sounds like a bad ignition switch, NOT the bank angle sensor. That's where I would focus my attention.
Thanks , I'll let you all know how it goes , hopefully when it's fixed the remedy will help someone else too. Love this bike bought it new and this is the first real issue I've had with it . It just had to be electrical , I hate electrical problems , thanks again ceo

User avatar
Mh434
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:24 pm
Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Re: unwanted shutoff

Postby Mh434 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:23 pm

I suspect WingAdmin nailed it - sure sounds like the ignition switch to me, too. Next time it happens, start working the key, and see if it suddenly comes to life. If it does, that's the problem. I've read several threads on older GL1500 ignitions causing issues recently, with the same symptoms you have. Replacements are still readily available.




Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests