Rear Speakers and Harness installation

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
igonzalezjr
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate

Rear Speakers and Harness installation

Postby igonzalezjr » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:46 pm

I would appreciate some assistance with installing the wiring harness and rear speakers on my 90 GW GL1500. Does any one have some pictures to go with the instructions? May you all have a great day, ride safe

nightwizard40
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

Re: Rear Speakers and Harness installation

Postby nightwizard40 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:04 pm

No pictures....sorry, but it is prettey straight foward on the wiring. The only problem I had was locating the one plug that is on the left side. I had to remove the left side lower fairing to get to it, as it was buried on the inside of the frame. I think it is the 2 wire plug. Have you ever removed the rear glove boxes and arm rest pads to where the speakers go?

igonzalezjr

Postby igonzalezjr » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:13 am

thank you for responding, no i have'nt and this will be my first big major diy project on my bike. any tips so that i don't mess anything up? i would like to purchase an owners manual for my bike so that i can learn to do other minor things on my bike. i'll look on ebay for a manual. i appreciate any assistance you can offer. have a great day and ride safe.

nightwizard40

Postby nightwizard40 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:23 am

The first thing to do is remove the seat. Once the seat is removed, you will have to get in the trunk to access the 3 phillips head screws that hold the cubbies on, the top of these are where the speakers will go. Once you get the cubbies off, I believe there are 4 screws that hold the speaker covers on. The speakers will be secured when you put those screws back in. The rear speaker kit that I bought was all plug an play, and it was simple enough to locate all the plugs the speaker system goes to. Moving to the front of the bike, you will need to remove the 2 akorn nuts that was under the front end of the seat, open the fuel door and you will see 2 plastic locking tabs, one each side. This will allow you to remove the shelter that has your radio in it. You will need to take the left and right pockets out that are on the fairing, the cover that snaps over the ignition, and the tunnel trays....the black plastic pieces that are on each side of the ignition cover, be careful and don't break the little tabs off. You will find the plugs you need for the radio end and they are color coded. You will need to drill a hole for the fader control knob, I put mine just above the goldwing emblem that is towards the front side of the cover that the radio is mounted in. It has been over a year since I installed my kit, and might have overlooked a couple of things. I will try and post some pics of how mine is mounted, I will have the seat and stuff off in the rear as I am installing a LED brake light on the trunk spoiler.
Good luck on it!!

Bill

nightwizard40

Postby nightwizard40 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:26 am

One big question I guess. I see in your info that you have a 1983......are you putting speakers on it, or do you have a 1500 that you are placing these in???

I was taking it that you are doing this to a 1500 since it is in the section?????

igonzalezjr

Postby igonzalezjr » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:19 pm

hello bill, thank you for responding to my request. yes sir, i'm putting the speakers on my 1500. i've never been on a bike that is so smooth to ride. i'll enjoy it more once i have the rear speakers installed. i would appreciate some pictures if you get a chance. well sir, thank you again and thank you if you get a chance to send some pic's. take care and ride safe

martinarial
Motorcycle: 1984 Goldwing Interstate
1988 Goldwing
2000 Valkyrie Interstate
2001 ST1100

Postby martinarial » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:02 pm

Hey guys! I wanted to share a solution to a problem I had with the GL1500 sound...I've had on my GL1200 for many many years 180 Watts (4 speakers) of sound with huge bass response, so anything else pales by comparison...but on the GL1500 it wasn't tough to beat! Namely that with just a TONE control (as opposed to a separate BASS and TREBLE, let alone LOUDNESS controls), and the fact that rear speakers just don't have any room in those tiny holders for any woofer to work well, you just get NO BASS! Of course, one solution that we've seen very popular on the 'net is to install a Kicker sub-woofer in the trunk, but that takes a lot of room out of your trunk, and a lot of power too!

My alternative to this is quite simple: I cut out the trunk plastic just below the passenger backrest and I installed 2 Polk Audio 4" woofers, and connected them in parallel with the rear speakers...the sound was MUCH BETTER, I could hear some bass mixing in with the sound... BUT I took it one step further: I installed a Jensen 88 Watt power amplifier (small unit, very slim, hiding under the trunk's carpet) for the 4 rear speakers...WOWWWW now heads are turning!!! lollll Love the sound now...and when I ride alone, I just pull back on the lower pad of the passenger backrest to expose the woofers...this made the cheap 24W radio amp come a long way!

One could even go as far as installing a Booster/Equalizer in the back instead of an amplifier so as to get even more control one the type of sound you're looking for...my solution cost me $100.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”