Erratic dash display, radio, and cruise control

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
MeneGene1971
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE

Erratic dash display, radio, and cruise control

Postby MeneGene1971 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:21 pm

I'm terrible at searching past subjects so I apologize if this has already been addressed. My 1996 GL1500 SE has an intermittent problem. About half the time after starting the engine the LCD display is blank. The radio does not work when this happens and I noticed today while riding that the cruise will not engage either. The "cruise on" light would come on after pushing in the button but I could not set a speed. I stopped and shut the bike off with the key, turned the key back on 3 times before the LCD came on. Started the engine and had no further problems. If I notice that the display is blank- that is the fix, turn the key off and back on once or twice. The display will usually come on. Then everything works. Before this started happening my clock would keep time. Now every time this occurs, the clock goes haywire. I read on another forum that relay #3 could be to blame. Any advice?

My Goldwing is not Purple- it's Royal Pearl Magenta! ;)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Erratic dash display, radio, and cruise control

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:17 pm

MeneGene1971 wrote:I'm terrible at searching past subjects so I apologize if this has already been addressed. My 1996 GL1500 SE has an intermittent problem. About half the time after starting the engine the LCD display is blank. The radio does not work when this happens and I noticed today while riding that the cruise will not engage either. The "cruise on" light would come on after pushing in the button but I could not set a speed. I stopped and shut the bike off with the key, turned the key back on 3 times before the LCD came on. Started the engine and had no further problems. If I notice that the display is blank- that is the fix, turn the key off and back on once or twice. The display will usually come on. Then everything works. Before this started happening my clock would keep time. Now every time this occurs, the clock goes haywire. I read on another forum that relay #3 could be to blame. Any advice?

Is the ENTIRE LCD blank, or just parts of it? i.e. is the clock on and nothing else? Or is it completely blank?

When the LCD is blank, does your radio work? At normal volume?

When the clock goes haywire, does this mean it just resets to 12:00?

MeneGene1971

Postby MeneGene1971 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:43 am

Happened twice yesterday so I was able to verify. The whole LCD is blank. I shut the key switch off, turn it back on, restart engine and no more problems until I turn the bike off again. Then it may or may not display again on the next start.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:28 pm

Does the radio work when the LCD is blank -i.e. can you change stations etc?

nofishbob
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade(sold)
2004 RC51 (sold)
2007 zx14 (sold)
1997 GL1500 SE

Postby nofishbob » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:49 pm

I have recently been experiencing the same issue as the OP.
On my bike, it seems that the problem is actually related to the ignition key switch itself.
Yesterday, after just starting out for a ride, I noticed that the LCD was blank.
Turning the bike off then on again had worked in the past, so I pulled over and turned the bike off, then restarted it. This time it did not make the LCD come back on. Even after a few more cycles, no luck.
While the key was on, and the bike running, I pushed the key farther into the switch and wiggled it a little.
The LCD came on ! And stayed on.

It seems that the key switch has a marginal contact that is not energizing the solenoid(s) controlling these devices. Once the LCD came on, no amount of key wiggling would make it flicker or turn off. It stayed on then for my entire ride with multiple restarts.

Hope this helps.

Bob

MeneGene1971

Postby MeneGene1971 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:41 am

The radio will not work at all when the LCD is blank. I agree with the previous comment about the ignition switch. I have come to the same conclusion with trial and error. If I turn the ignition switch on quick, I notice that the LCD stays blank more often. If I turn the switch slowly and deliberately 1 click at a time, it never stays blank. Next time it happens, I will try wiggling the key and see if that fixes it.

prok2goldwing
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1500

Postby prok2goldwing » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:11 am

So did you replace the ignition switch? and if you did, did it solve the problem??

MeneGene1971

Postby MeneGene1971 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:34 am

I haven't done anything about it yet. Just dealing with it. I'll most likely let it go terminal before I take the time to fix it.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”