Can this be done ?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Can this be done ?

Postby Uncle Fester » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:12 pm

Okay, I have a 1996 Aspencade, and am seriously thinking about upgrading the stereo to a aftermarket head unit and upgraded speakers. To do this, I will remove the factory head unit, cb, and intercom and all wiring that can be removed up to where it plugs in to the main harness. I understand this will cause loss of use of the LCD screen, so my question is : can I replace my gauge cluster with a early INTERSTATE cluster that does not have the LCD ?

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

bo_mull
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

Re: Can this be done ?

Postby bo_mull » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:53 pm

If you remove the LCD display you wont be able to tell how much air is in the rear shock. If that matters to you. I am thinking about going the same route as you and ripping out my radio also.

GillesGLW
Motorcycle: 1989 GL 1500

Postby GillesGLW » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:11 am

Hello everyone,

That might be a silly question, but if you remove your factory radio and replace it with something else, how will you make it fit?

Thanks,
Gilles

bo_mull
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

Postby bo_mull » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:21 am

GillesGLW wrote:Hello everyone,

That might be a silly question, but if you remove your factory radio and replace it with something else, how will you make it fit?

Thanks,
Gilles

Honda made a filler panel for the 91 1500 interstate that bolts where the radio mounts. The panel was only made in bison brown so I would need to paint it. I would install a marine stereo head unit like an infinity PRV250 or similar. Before I order the parts to do this I need to remove the radio and measure the distance above the airfilter box to make sure I have enough clearance. There is also a fellow on Ebay that makes an adapter that mounts in place of the radio that accepts a standard automobile stereo.

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:15 am

The guy on EBay is from Russia and is who I plan to use IF I do this. If I do this, it will be done about tax season, with our return, and I will take lots of pics.
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

GillesGLW

Postby GillesGLW » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:00 am

While browsing the internet, I found a cover for a new stereo that could fit the hole left by the removal of the factory stereo.
Good point, the cover is black, so no need to repaint it. I will try to find back the link and share it with you.

I was reading on some french goldwing forums that if you remove the standard stereo, you might loose the LCD display, which can be annoying for the suspension pressure control.
I know that the radio remote control that come by defaut on the Gl1500 is quite poor, but at least it allows to mute the radio and the default stereo has big buttons which are easy to control with gloves.

How do you plan to remotely control your new stereo? Won't a remote control be too small to operate with gloves?

Gilles

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:26 am

All good points, but. . .

1) I am changing over to shocks (progressive) that do not have air, so loosing the LCD screen is no big deal.

2) I do not use the factory "remote" very often, so that is not a issue for me either

3) I wear fingerless gloves, so using the smaller car stereo buttons SHOULD not be a issue, add to that my music (32gigs) is on a SD Card and I keep it on "shuffle" , so I can ride form Oklahoma City to New York and back, and never hear the same song twice unless I want too.

You can see the mount I am going to use here : http://www.ebay.com/itm/281761200195

GillesGLW

Postby GillesGLW » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:44 am

That's the one I saw on internet and I'm seriously thinking of buying one.

What I need to check is how the LCD will behave once I've removed the radio. Once last question, how do you connect a new stereo on the existing goldwing wiring? Is that easy to do?

Thanks,
Gilles

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:52 pm

As for the LCD, it is my understanding the Clock, Stereo Channel, Tape info, will no longer work, but I do not know one way or the other about the air ride info.

As for hook up, I under stand one of the Honda car stereo harness adaptors fit the bike, with one or two wires being wrong. In my case, I am hooking in to the CONSTANT POWER, and SWITCHED POWER, and running all new speaker wires front and rear, or thats the plan any way. :D

I am also mounting two EXTRA speakers, one in each hard fairing pocket, for the
WEATHER RADIO/POLICE SCANNER I am planning to add in the trunk ( mostly for the weather radio ).

I am going to use a MEDIA ONLY RADIO ( AM/FM, SD Card, and AUX INPUT, NO CD ) like this one :
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X370BT/ ... ml?tp=5684

firey1
Motorcycle: 2008 1800 abs model

Postby firey1 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:16 pm

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:00 am

firey1 wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/281856765793?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

purpose made for 1500

that's the Russian made one mentioned in this thread.
He used to post at goldwingfacts http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/117846-trayk-by.html

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:34 pm

That's the mount I plan to use on my set up, with a single din head unit, although I have considered using one of the 3" round marine head units too. . .

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”